Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage HAIRCUT

decodoll

Practically Family
If you're in the San Francisco area, you might try Sara at the Patrick Evan Salon. She is the current Miss Deco Belle and is supposed to be proficient in 30's and 40's hairstyles. I actually have an appointment with her next Wednesday, so I'll let everyone know how it goes. :) I saw her give a vintage hair styling demo last year and have been planning on making an appointment ever since but felt kind of bad leaving my old stylist, whom I really like. It would be nice not having to explain everything though! I'd like to just be able to show a picture and have her take it from there! I plan to bring this picture with me among others...

paulettegoddard.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's a really cute picture (and the style will look lovely on you, I'm sure)--I was just showing my coworker some photos of Paulette Goddard, as she was named after her and didn't know who she was (her mother named all her daughters after 1940s movie stars :) )

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks :) and then I have to be good and curl it every night or get up early enough to use my hot sticks! Unfortunately, I have very fine hair and it just won't last more than one day no matter what. I still think about getting a perm now and then. My current hair stylist is adamantly against them and won't do them. I'll have to talk to this new stylist and see what she thinks. I'd just like a body wave so that the curl holds better. Anyone here gotten a perm to assist in vintage stying? I had ones in the 1980's, but I wasn't going after the quite same look then. :p

That is so cool. I love Paulette Goddard. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I find with any haircut, I need to bring a picture, something always seems to go wrong in translation! I've found that true also with a simple 'trim'

decodoll

Practically Family
True, but with my current stylist I also brought a vintage hair styling book with directions and everything. It just felt a little tedious! I just want to bring a picture and have them know how it should be cut to do the style I want like Jitterbugdoll said. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's a great pic of Paulette Goddard -- I'm trying to figure out if she's wearing a little hat on top there, or if the top of her hair is really really shiny. I love the waves she's got going on the sides -- that's kind of what I try to do for my everyday look, subbing a pomp for the bangs.

I've found that it's possible to give a stylist too much information -- at least the ones I've been to over the years tend to get flustered if I try to give them a lot of detail and a lot of specific instruction, especially if they don't know a lot about the kind of style I'm shooting for. Trying to couch it in more general terms like "I want a simple shoulder-length layered cut that I can do in rolls or set in curls when I feel like it" might work, depending on how well you and the stylist know each other.

I last had a perm in 1997, which turned out to be an, um, unfortunate experiment. Remember Roseanne Roseannadanna? That's how I ended up.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have had one body wave, and it didn't take at all :(

Every stylist I have ever had is strongly against them as well--it's especially bad if you color your hair, as it will cause a lot more damage/frizz.

Women used to swear by them though, so I don’t know what to tell you, decodoll!

I think Paulette's hair is just very shiny--great photo lighting :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ho do you get your bangs to curl under like that? Was she the one in The Women?

I got a perm. My friend in beauty school gave it to me before I went with her to pass her state test about a year and a half ago. She couldn't get my hair to fingerwave without doing it! But the problem for me was since I have uber fine hair as well, the perm fell out in less than a month and then my hair was super icky and dry. I just got the last of it cut out about a month and a half ago... and I cut my hair really short just to be done with it! So, if you're willing to have your hair grow out for a long time, then go for it... but as long as you have a perm in they say not to put any color in your hair... it really was a pain most of the time, even if it made my hair hold a curl when i set it a little longer because it was "dead".

Can't wait to hear how it goes with the new stylist! I wish I could go with just to pick her brain! heehee :)

decodoll

Practically Family
I think her hair is just exceptionally shiny. :)

The last perm I had didn't take very well either. The stylist at the time thought it was due to the black hair dye. She said black in particular has something in it that causes the perm not to take...why she didn't tell me this ahead of time I don't know. Even though my hair is fine, it's pretty tough. It's been though a lot when I stripped the black dye (by myself :eek: ) and never got too fried. A friend of mine who is a hair stylist (unfortunately not locally) actually says the worse condition your hair is in, the better the curl and all those 40's styles will hold.

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Ho do you get your bangs to curl under like that? Was she the one in The Women?

:)

me? I spray it with Shaper hairspray and curl it under with a one-inch barrel curling iron, then spray again. Last time I needed more hairspray I got the super duper hold one and it's really tough getting the curling iron detached from the curl after I do it! I have to go back and get the regular for the first spray and just use the super duper one to set it after, I think. :D

Yes, she's the one from The Women. I love her hair in that movie. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yeah, that's actually true! When I went to get my hair fingerwaved after I cut the perm out, the girl said "This sounds really bad, but your hair is too healthy to do it." Never before had I wished for unhealthy hair lol

Wow! You're brave to strip it by yourself! Your hair always looks gorgeous in every picture I've seen you post. Please post pics after you get your "hairs" done :D

Yeah! Me too! That's one of the best movies ever. I'll have to try that trick on my bangs. Might have to cut them a bit first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR