Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Homage in Today's Casual Office

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I must admit, it would be nice if there was a greater acceptance of dressing well in today's society, but let's be brutally honest - for most of us, the workplace, the social spots and the street have all become extremely casual. Yes, a number of us dress as we want and many of us have received acceptance and admiration for it, but the boss and the co-workers still sometimes get shook up by the three-piece suit with the windsor knot, the collar bar, the pocket square, the cufflinks and the watch chain.

I'm not an investment banker or a lawyer. I work in an office of casual men and women who offer various services to the energy industry, be it oil and natural gas, wind, bio, solar, what have you. The tie is rarely seen and slacks are uncommon, like spotting a badger in your back yard.

It happens, but only during certain times and not with any regularity.

So if I were to go to work dressed to the nines, it would freak the office out. They would wonder what was going and they'd certainly have a hard time with my dressing that way every day. They wouldn't howl in fear, display their plumage in a threatening manner or urinate on my desk, but they'd be unsettled. It would create a distraction at work.
Sad and shallow, but a fact nonetheless.

So I've asked myself, "Self, how can we indulge our love of all things vintage while at the same time presenting an image that isn't too startling to the natives?"

This is what I've come up with, sort of a classic dress meets modern casual.
Let me know what you think.

Slacks / khakis
Golf shirts / dress shirts in Summer, mock turtlenecks or dress shirts in Winter.(no ties or odd vests)
Belt with golf shirts and sweaters, suspenders with dress shirts.
Sports coats
Various pocket squares with conservative folds, nothing flowery.(this would replace the tie as a way to expess oneself while remaining casual)

Spectators in Summer, solid dress shoes in Winter (they may have to accept spats on occassion when I'm feeling flippant.)

Outerwear would be fedoras.
In Spring and Fall, the trench coat on bad weather days.
In Winter overcoats, like a camelhair polo or a gray double-breasted, silk scarves.

The way I see it, this ensemble would allow me to look fairly true to the thirties when outside at a distance, but inside I'd be dressed "nice with neat looking shoes". See, most folks in the Midwest like a well-dressed man as long as he doesn't overdo it in their eyes. You can wear a nice version of what other folks wear and they'll allow for one interesting item, say a fedora or spectators. They'll compliment them and talk about what their granddads wore, 'cause that's you being you and you're a nice guy who looks sharp.

Wear the whole shibang and they'll look askance at the man in the costume. It's the way things work. As a responsible adult I have to be aware of acceptable behaviour in my workplace and I have to consider the effect of my appearance.
Thus I've come up with this potential wardrobe scheme.

Whatcha think?

Decodence

A-List Customer
I don't do casual anymore. Just ease into it until it becomes common place to see you in appropriate dress. Then they will wonder what is up if/when you do dress casual.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Decodence said:
I don't do casual anymore. Just ease into it until it becomes common place to see you in appropriate dress. Then they will wonder what is up if/when you do dress casual.

That strategy worked for me, too. I go tieless some days to please my (essentially unpleasable) casual CEO, but generally I am known as the "dress up guy," a kind of sartorial pet. People like it and I get lots of positive comments.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I'd say easing into it...

...works well.

We slowly went from ties to the polo shirt/khaki thing. After 9/11, all the military guys began to wear flight suits or BDUs every day. At that point all justification for dressing up seemed to go out the window.

I never went all the way down the hill. As I wore out my suits, I replaced them with sport coats and slacks. I've had fedoras for years, but usually wore them in the winter in bad weather.

First I ditched Casual Friday. Eventually I made it "bow tie Friday." I slowly added more fedoras, including summer straws. At this point I wear a hat every day.

In the office I take off my overcoat and hat (of course) and my sport coat. In the office spaces I'm always pretty much in dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie. That doesn't seem to bother people, in fact they seem to rather like it.

Bow tie Friday seems particularly popular. The guys I work with are sort of proprietary about and claim I'm "stiffing" them if I forget. Likewise people now expect the hats they way they expect my hair to be brown (the parts that aren't gray or gone).

When people ask me why I dress up, I used to have a bunch of complicated reasons (excuses and justifications really). I don't bother with that anymore. I just tell folks I like it, it makes me comfortable, and it's "me." I think people these days understand the desire express the unique you.

If there is one thing I'd caution, It would be going too "costumey." I think that places of employment have their limits, and wearing something too "far out" tends to be a distraction.

I think it's a terrible shame that things have gotten to where they are now. So many beautiful clothing items that are still viable and practical would be considered beyond odd if you wore them to work. Too bad.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kudos to you for finding a way that works for you in a business environment.

I buy vintage ladies suits and than when at the office, wear them with a (somewhat) trendy blouse and modern heels and a modern purse. Or else slacks, a modern sweater and a vintage suit jacket alone. This way, I can get away with wearing vintage to work. I also tend to wear one piece at a time and maybe one piece of jewelry, as its usually more accepted.

Regardless of what people think or don't think of your ensemble, it IS work, and a way to earn your living. You don't want to be too far "out there" with the rest of the staff as you can quickly lose out on raises, promotion or even new friends who think you are trying to upstage them.

Good for you for trying to make the two mix together for your benefit. :eusa_clap

Looking forward to seeing pics in the What are you wearing today thread.

Vintage Betty

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
I can really relate to this thread, as I also work in the energy industry.

As an Electrical Engineer, I work very closely with field design and construction personnel. From my 24+ years in this industry, I can say that 'business casual' has not been a positive move for the industry. I feel that 'business casual' has stratified into 'upper business casual' and 'lower business casual'. Unfortunately, the companies that I have work with have allowed 'lower business casual' to become the standard.

When I occasionally wear a tie and jacket to work (I consider ties without a jacket as 'nerdy'), I get the usual "Do you have an interview?", "Are you going to a meeting at 'the tower' (headquarters)?", "Who are you trying to impress?", etc. Lately, I started dressing more professionally at work for the express pleasure of discomforting those I work with.

I feel that the old dress codes had a purpose of keeping the different levels of employees 'in their place', or purposefully separated between 'professionals', 'office / clerical personnel', and 'laborers'. This may not be 'politically correct' in today's market, but it seemed to work well for decades.

Anyway, it seems that even though the lack of professionalism that is prevalent on the workplace cannot be totally laid at the feet of the dress code, the dress code has to be a contributer. I think that there is a direct correlation between how one presents themselves, and how one respects others around them.

(Sorry, just a bunch of rambling on my part.)

Bob

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I have also run into this trend. Anytime I wear a tie or a fedora, my friends and co-workers give me a hard time. "What are you so dressed up for?", "Do you have an interview?" and "You look like Mr. Rogers." are the most common comments. The Mr. Rogers comment is from my frequent cardigan wearing.

tonyper

Familiar Face
Go for it

Wear what you like and that's it. If they ask why the answer is because I like it. I agree the business world has gone way too casual. The office should be a place for at least jacket and tie
I have worked in the contruction business and trucking for 30 years, not a place to be dressed in anything but jeans, sweatshirt and boots. I am out of that business now awating a new job in a week or so. Now I dress as I like,not fancy, but shoes instead of sneakers, or work boots. Shirts instead if sweatshirts. Khakis instead of jeans and everyone asks me where I am going all dressed up. I am so looking foward to this new job so I can dress nice, maybe not vintage but nice. Like I told my wife, I am looking foward to getting 3 ties for Fathers Day, first ties I will ever recieve as gifts from my kids. All you guys that have gotten ties as gifts for all those years look at it from my view. You would be happy with a tie too.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Tony

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
While I appreciate the philosophy of "Dress for success, not recess", I feel like I have come up with a nice office wardrobe that incorporates my love of vintage dress in a limited but doable way.

I see a lot of folks recommending that I just crank it up and let them get used to it. Let me clarify - they can get used to nice office wear, given time, but a three-piece suit with a double-breasted vest, watch chain and fob, cufflinks, detachable collar and spats (and yes, that's me, dressed to the nines)
will ALWAYS be a costume to my employers and their clients. I won't be taken seriously and moreso, our clients won't feel they're being taken seriously.

I thought I'd come up with a nice compromise of styles that worked.
Does no one care for the ensemble I have planned?

Decodence

A-List Customer
Spatterdash said:
Let me clarify - they can get used to nice office wear, given time, but a three-piece suit with a double-breasted vest, watch chain and fob, cufflinks, detachable collar and spats (and yes, that's me, dressed to the nines)
will ALWAYS be a costume to my employers and their clients. I won't be taken seriously and moreso, our clients won't feel they're being taken seriously.

Yeah, that is a bit excessive. I'd feel the same way as your employer on this.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Marty M. said:
"Dress for Success not Recess"
Marty Mathis

But who defines success? I work with scientists (particle physics) and engineers. I have to convince them daily regarding business decisions, often concerning millions of dollars. Their definition of dress for success, in their own fields, is sandals with grey socks, t-shirts, shorts, at times also during the winter.

I have to be convincing, but also one of them, otherwise I will be disregarded. Not always simple... My solution is at the moment A-2s, ties, high rise khakis, newsboy caps, safari type of stuff, etc. I get my fair share of stares, but am still halfway believable. Well fitting, nicely cut suits, with colors matching, forget about it...

tonypaj

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Spatterdash said:

Sounds good to me. I don't think I'd wear spats or spectators, though; simple oxfords of loafers would probably work better.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I think what...

Spatterdash said:
While I appreciate the philosophy of "Dress for success, not recess", I feel like I have come up with a nice office wardrobe that incorporates my love of vintage dress in a limited but doable way.

I see a lot of folks recommending that I just crank it up and let them get used to it. Let me clarify - they can get used to nice office wear, given time, but a three-piece suit with a double-breasted vest, watch chain and fob, cufflinks, detachable collar and spats (and yes, that's me, dressed to the nines)

...what you've suggested is a good idea. You work there and are the best judge of what goes.

I probably did a poor job, but what I was suggesting was along the same vein, i.e., not a suit, and you co-workers seeing you most often in shirt sleeves with a tie -- not so very much more than they do.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
No! Not short-sleeves with a tie. That most definitely yells "NERD"!

Today, I wore a white long-sleeve shirt, a burgundy tie with blue and gray dots, dark gray slacks, a gray herringbone jacket, gray socks, and black wingtips. I got many comments, however, most of them not necessarily positive.

While this is not vintage, it was in the line of what professionals wore less than 30 years ago. What is interesting about this, was that even the other Engineers were looking at me funny. (As I said before, I enjoy their discomfort.)

Bob

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
60CycleHum said:
While this is not vintage, it was in the line of what professionals wore less than 30 years ago. What is interesting about this, was that even the other Engineers were looking at me funny. (As I said before, I enjoy their discomfort.)

Bob

I think I'm going to have to give my office more credit for being tolerant of diversity than I would have thought. My outfits are far more over the top than what you describe (which strikes me as very mild), and yet the reactions are uniformly positive. But I think, upon reflection, that maybe the key is obvious: 65% of the associates at my company are female. It's the all-male environments that are very enforcing of conformity.

I hate men sometimes. And I'm gay, so go figure. :)

Valhson

One of the Regulars
60CycleHum said:
No! Not short-sleeves with a tie. That most definitely yells "NERD"!

Today, I wore a white long-sleeve shirt, a burgundy tie with blue and gray dots, dark gray slacks, a gray herringbone jacket, gray socks, and black wingtips. I got many comments, however, most of them not necessarily positive.

Bob

HA Perfect! I do much the same thing. I am in an office of 15 government contracting Naval Architects and Engineers. I enjoy making them feel strange. One guy hates tweed so when I am working with him on a presentation or project I am sure to look very English that day. I get a kick out of it.

I sometimes get questions and looks but I just tell them that as an architect/engineer I have license to dress in any manner that can be considered eccentric. Stupid but works…

Daniel

Familiar Face
I work for a local government agency with very relaxed dress codes. I could get by with faded jeans and a sweatshirt.

But I don't. Although I've never worn spats, I almost always wear a coat and tie. I favor vintage, but also wear things like denim shirts with a coordinating vest and tie, or a Polartec fleece vest under a tweed jacket. It just depends on my mood, and I'm in a fedora around 40% of the time. I have a fetish for cuff links, though.

I work in a Bohemian/artsy area of the city, so even walking to my car I get stares. But I *like* the way I dress, and it's almost entirely from thrift stores, so it doesn't cost any more than something from Wal*Mart.

I don't think they're going to fire me for dressing too well, so what the heck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy