Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Old Town Clothing

Excuse me, Ladies.

I was just perusing some clothing resources for my Lady Wife and happened upon this talk of Old Town Clothing.

I can tell you first hand, that their clothing is top-notch quality and made to last.
Yes, they do have a very utilitarian, wartimey-and-earlier æsthetic and yes again, there is not much of the "glamour" there but their styles really fall into the realm of clothing classics(read the blurb on the site, re: their reason and ethic- it is at the very least, amusing).
Their Womens' trousers are brilliant and have just the right look, with of course, high waists and wide legs- and they are made just like they would have been mid-last century.

Look beyond the styles and have a gander at some of their cloths and prints.

Disadvantages- they only make to order, tostandard sizes and won't deviate from their own patterns. Also, last time I looked, don't accept credit cards and don't really like to send overseas.

I have a pair of their "high rise trousers" and they are just perfect.
Their clothing meets expectations. Expensive?, compared to a lot of high street garbage, yes but Ol Town are a small business who make to order.
Their clothing will outlast the garbage, in wear and style.

Excellent.

B
T

Lillemor

One Too Many
For now, this homemaker and mother of 3 is confined to online shopping but for 1950s which is my generally chosen era, online catalogues like H&M, Ellos, Bonaparte and Cellbes is quite fine for a start, just to have something to wear that looks the part, can handle the daily wear and which won't leave me in tears if the boys get unremovable stains on them or some other tragedy befalls my garment pieces.

I haven't been to CPH for four years and the last time I knew where all the cool thrift shops were, was over 20 years ago and I've never paid attention to street names, I just sort of used to know my way around...the way cool people do;) :p I don't venture away from Strøget; Gammel/Nytorv when I'm there. There used to be at least one cool thrift shop on Vesterbro but that was then, and this is now...

My next plan is to become acquainted with the thrift- and marskandiser shops in my local area of Skanderborg, Horsens, Silkeborg, and maybe I'll venture into Århus as well. If I find anything I think might be of interest to you ladies that's more 30s-40s I'll give you all a shout!

When I've been up to Gilleleje where my mother lives, I've seen some cute shops but they tend to change owners and style quite often and they appear to be going after cheaper, more modern styles now:(

I wear a S/36. However, due to vanity sizing, I find that Ellos, Bonaparte and Cellbes small and 36 is a bit looser than I like.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Is this just not the sweetest dress, from the new Hobbs range. Hideously expensive but oh so lovely!!
Pure silk too...... *sigh*
0208-5713-2122L00-193_01_336_360.jpg

TessTrueheart

BellyTank said:
I can tell you first hand, that their clothing is top-notch quality and made to last.

Disadvantages- they only make to order, tostandard sizes and won't deviate from their own patterns. Also, last time I looked, don't accept credit cards and don't really like to send overseas.

B
T

Thank you for your input on Old Clothing, BellyTank. I think their clothes are exactly what I'm looking for. I shall call and persuade them to ship some to me :)

Zarniwoop

New in Town
Sydney Vintage ware

Anybody know of any decently priced places in Sydney, Australia that have neat male vintage clothes, particurly pants?

Also are there any online Australian vintage clothes sites?

TessTrueheart

AllaboutEve said:
Is this just not the sweetest dress, from the new Hobbs range. Hideously expensive but oh so lovely!!
Pure silk too...... *sigh*
0208-5713-2122L00-193_01_336_360.jpg

I love Hobbs, they have really nice stuff. Pretty dress!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
One for the UK ladies this.

This is such an awesome dress in the new Screen Siren collection at Marks and Spencer. The online pic does it NO JUSTICE at all as the model is about as curvy as a stick and they've put the poor girl in one about 2 sizes too big for her as once it's fitted properly and filled out it's terrific. I tried it on yesterday and the fabric is a medium/heavy crepe which feels pretty authentic to me.

I came up a bit short for me as I like things just below the knee and my ample behind ate up the bias give in it otherwise I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. However if you are more evenly proportioned than I it would probably hit just below the knee in most girls of around 5' 5" and under.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/p...IQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=&page=

They are doing some terrific blouses there at the moment too, lots of peter-pan type collars, satin with nice pleating details, chiffon, etc go check it out.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I hope that this isn't annoying but :) I'm gonna bump this M & S dress back up to the top again, just incase anyone fancies checking it out at the shops this weekend. You really do have to see it to realise just how lovely it is, so different from the pic.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I was browsing through MetroStyle's website because I have a couple of discount codes (I'm happy to share if any one is interested) and saw a few things that were cute and vintage-looking...

High Waisted Denim Skirt
0809_70698_mm.jpg

High waisted, wide leg, suspender pants
0825_68457_mm.jpg

Houndsooth pencil skirt (lined)
0826_69305_mm.jpg

skirts
0826_70912_mm.jpg

0826_70982_mm.jpg

Extra special bonus - I don't think any of these are more than $30! Combine that with a discount code and that's a heck of a deal! :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'm looking for an eye catching, loosely fitted, 20's inspired black sequin dress I can wear to concerts and be able to move (read: jump like a monkey) in freely. Without being afraid of ruining an original 20's dress, mind you!

So I went searching on ASOS and discovered the London-based brand All Saints, I think their stuff rocks, they mix a very modern style with historical references. I love this dress, but it's just out of my price-range.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
I was browsing through MetroStyle's website because I have a couple of discount codes (I'm happy to share if any one is interested) and saw a few things that were cute and vintage-looking...

High Waisted Denim Skirt
0809_70698_mm.jpg

High waisted, wide leg, suspender pants
0825_68457_mm.jpg

Houndsooth pencil skirt (lined)
0826_69305_mm.jpg

skirts
0826_70912_mm.jpg

0826_70982_mm.jpg

Extra special bonus - I don't think any of these are more than $30! Combine that with a discount code and that's a heck of a deal! :)

Oh those trousers are sooo cute!
I went to the website and cant find them!!!!

HELP! LOL

texasgirl

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
I'm looking for an eye catching, loosely fitted, 20's inspired black sequin dress I can wear to concerts and be able to move (read: jump like a monkey) in freely. Without being afraid of ruining an original 20's dress, mind you!

So I went searching on ASOS and discovered the London-based brand All Saints, I think their stuff rocks, they mix a very modern style with historical references. I love this dress, but it's just out of my price-range.

That's really lovely! Here's the one I've got my eye on for our Murder Mystery party. It's still a bit higher than I'd like to pay though. I'm hoping some of the department stores have some 20s inspired dresses this fall, since everything vintage is in now.

http://www.unique-vintage.com/preor....html?osCsid=d98103b56ed822f32f860f841729d425

Laura Chase

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
That's really lovely! Here's the one I've got my eye on for our Murder Mystery party. It's still a bit higher than I'd like to pay though. I'm hoping some of the department stores have some 20s inspired dresses this fall, since everything vintage is in now.

http://www.unique-vintage.com/preor....html?osCsid=d98103b56ed822f32f860f841729d425

Oh wow, that one is really awesome too! Do you have any of their other clothing, is the quality good? The price is a bit steep but fair enough if the quality is good.

Love their other 20's-inspired dresses too! I might just go for one of these...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran