Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

Laura Chase

One Too Many
jetgirl, it definitely does help!

I was wondering about the breathability of the fabric. So this is kind of a general rayon question. I don't own any rayon dresses, but would it feel like a synthetic when worn on a very hot day, or is it more like silk?

I was thinking about changing the buttons and belt buckle to some vintage ones, that would be really pretty. Which color would you gals choose?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Yeah but...$92? :(
True, but I know myself well, and I knew I'd wear them every day. I have cardigans in a rainbow of colors, so it's easy to vary. I've even gone out in them on weekends because the winter is so harsh this year. For me it was a good investment, I was tired to death of the low rise mens slacks I've had for years. Also, unlike the talented ladies here, I can't sew.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
bettydarling said:
I recently found a shop in Dublin (Retro,georges st arcade) that does Betty Page and Stop Staring, has anyone tried Stop Staring Clothing, the stuff looks gorgeous, just wondering how it fits/wears?

I only passed by Retro the other week - was going to stop in for a look but I was in a rush! I have two Stop Staring dresses and I love them! Good quality fabric, well made and a nice fit - they're around three years old now and have been dry cleaned umpteen times but still look great.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I have a Stop Staring dress (the Billion Dollar Baby LBD) and I love it. I do think the pic on the site doesn't quite represent the actual fit of the dress in my case.

It is super comfortable/wearable and I haven't noticed any quality faults. I like to wear a shaper under it because I like shapers and dislike too-stretchy fabric. Their sizing is small in general though. I was lucky and found a shop that carried a lot of their styles (Terra Cotta, Savannah Georgia, if anyone is near them) and I really loved the way all of it suited. The sizing, though small, is consistent at least. So, I guess they get a rave review from me?

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
jetgirl, it definitely does help!

I was wondering about the breathability of the fabric. So this is kind of a general rayon question. I don't own any rayon dresses, but would it feel like a synthetic when worn on a very hot day, or is it more like silk?

I was thinking about changing the buttons and belt buckle to some vintage ones, that would be really pretty. Which color would you gals choose?

I actually like the buttons and buckle, the wood is a cute touch. Otherwise, If you found some dark green bakelite ones, that would probably look good.

Rayon is the "leftover" from cotton processing; it is a cellulose fiber and one of the first artificial silks. I find rayon can be very slightly less breathable than cotton or silk, but far more so than manmade fibers such as nylon or polyester. Nice rayon is a wonderful fabric, and very period correct.
The history of rayon just for fun

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
This weekend I was walking by the Charlotte Ruse in the mall and saw something worth going in for. They had some playsuits (one piece shorts and top) with a very 40’s/50’s look. They were in pink and purple calicos. One even had a neckline with points over the bossom and 2 rows of black buttons running up the front. I thought that one looked very Shaheen.
They are also carrying some sundresses and cardigans with a retro look.
Happy Shopping!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
This weekend I was walking by the Charlotte Ruse in the mall and saw something worth going in for. They had some playsuits (one piece shorts and top) with a very 40’s/50’s look. They were in pink and purple calicos. One even had a neckline with points over the bossom and 2 rows of black buttons running up the front. I thought that one looked very Shaheen.
They are also carrying some sundresses and cardigans with a retro look.
Happy Shopping!!

Great tip, they are lovely, I ordered these two, love the print on the first one (I've seen it on other sites before but always way more expensive) and the colors and back on the second!

pCHIC1-6880499dt.jpg

pCHIC1-6943121dt.jpg

pCHIC1-6943121_alternate1_dt.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Simply love this dress, the pink is a perfect icy shade! It's available on anthropologie.com but very expensive. :( Look how cute the scallops in the back are... Sigh! If it had puff sleeves instead of the sleeveless ruffle thing, I wouldn't even mind paying the price.

033000_066_b

033000_066_c

The Shirt

Practically Family
Just stalk their sales online. Usually the dresses move thru onto the sale page in a couple of months of posting. I never buy full retail there but have gotten some deals on the sale pages.

Have you checked out ModCloth? I seem to recall them having some similar styles lately.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
sweetieGREENMUMS1.JPG

I received my Trashy Diva Sweetie dress, it's really lovely and I like the wooden buttons and buckle now that I see them in real life. The green is slightly lighter than it appears on the website, it's a good green that will look good with different colors.

Another thing is that I will exchange it for a larger size. I ordered the size that would fit me according to their chart, but I think with this cut, you want to size up because it looks good with some drape in the bodice. Also, the bodice seems short. I'm 5'7 but I have a long-ish torso. Anyone know if the horizontal seam on this type of dress is supposed to sit at the waist or just above it? Mine sits on the lowest rib, and I would prefer if it was slightly lower, just under the rib. Hope the larger size will fix this!

pCHIC1-6943121dt.jpg

pCHIC1-6943121_alternate1_dt.jpg

Also, thumbs up for this one, it's really cute! I mean, it's not exactly well-made, but it's good for the price. A warning, though, the fabric has a slight sheen to it.

The navy one with the bird print is also OK, but especially if you have full thighs, it will not flare out nicely in the leg. The grey floral one does, however!

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
sweetieGREENMUMS1.JPG

I received my Trashy Diva Sweetie dress, it's really lovely and I like the wooden buttons and buckle now that I see them in real life. The green is slightly lighter than it appears on the website, it's a good green that will look good with different colors.

Another thing is that I will exchange it for a larger size. I ordered the size that would fit me according to their chart, but I think with this cut, you want to size up because it looks good with some drape in the bodice. Also, the bodice seems short. I'm 5'7 but I have a long-ish torso. Anyone know if the horizontal seam on this type of dress is supposed to sit at the waist or just above it? Mine sits on the lowest rib, and I would prefer if it was slightly lower, just under the rib. Hope the larger size will fix this!

Laura - I'm considering another one of the styles in the same print, and have been curious about how they fit. Thanks for noting your assessment on the Sweetie dress. :) I may go up a size when I order (the Ashley or the Day dress), as I am a little over 5'7" with a long-ish torso. It irks me when I find a lovely dress that ends up cutting me a little too high with its waist line.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Jennifer Lynn said:
Laura - I'm considering another one of the styles in the same print, and have been curious about how they fit. Thanks for noting your assessment on the Sweetie dress. :) I may go up a size when I order (the Ashley or the Day dress), as I am a little over 5'7" with a long-ish torso. It irks me when I find a lovely dress that ends up cutting me a little too high with its waist line.

You should ask them if they think you should size up with the other models, on their size chart for the sweetie dress it said that a bit more drape is needed, but I only saw that now. :) Also, I'm not sure if it is supposed to hit at the waist or just above? Regardless, I think it would look better if it hit at the waist. The belt itself kind of hits almost at the waist. I think it's safe to say that it is slightly short in the bodice.

Just as an example, here the seam hits above the waist and the belt at the waist. While the distance between the belt and seam is not that big on the Sweetie dress, I'm wondering if something like this might be intended?

il_430xN.123798640.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Laura Chase- Thank you so much for your review! I was going to ask Trashy Diva about it, but you covered my questions. Last year I had ordered the Trixie dress in aqua and loved it, but the waist was a bit too long. I hated to admit that it wasn't flattering on me and I have now gifted it to a friend who is very happy with it. Since I am short-waisted the Sweetie dress should sit just right. I think I will ask for it for Easter.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
You should ask them if they think you should size up with the other models, on their size chart for the sweetie dress it said that a bit more drape is needed, but I only saw that now. :) Also, I'm not sure if it is supposed to hit at the waist or just above? Regardless, I think it would look better if it hit at the waist. The belt itself kind of hits almost at the waist. I think it's safe to say that it is slightly short in the bodice.

Laura - I touched base with Trashy Diva via email, and they noted I should go up a size for a better fit. Same with Stop Staring. I provided both stores with my measurements, and it sounds like XL will be a good fit with a little room (I prefer that over too squished).

Now to decide which dress I want, the Ashley or the Day Dress.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
rubyredlocks said:
Laura Chase- Thank you so much for your review! I was going to ask Trashy Diva about it, but you covered my questions. Last year I had ordered the Trixie dress in aqua and loved it, but the waist was a bit too long. I hated to admit that it wasn't flattering on me and I have now gifted it to a friend who is very happy with it. Since I am short-waisted the Sweetie dress should sit just right. I think I will ask for it for Easter.
I've had 2 Trashy Diva dresses and found they ran too long on my torso as well. I LOVE their dresses, but i've become cautious about ordering anything else from them because a too-long bodice just doesn't look good on my short waisted self. That green/white sweetie dress was one of my faves, so it's good to know it runs shorter in the torso.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Oh.My.Gosh. TexasGirl! That is exactly the kind of site I've been looking for! I need to find a repro dress or two to wear to work. Those are exactly what I was looking for. The green and white dress has my name all over it!

If no one has tried them yet/recently, I will suffer through being the guinea pig! ;)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I bought that gray flowery romper from Charlotte Russe, along with a straw-like summery cloche found at Forever 21. Maybe I'll post a photo, as soon as the weather gets a bit more romper-friendly.

On another note, has anyone seen the Converse One-Star line of vintage-esque clothing at Target? It's very 30s, Depression era, and awfully appealing. There are shirt dresses and wrap dresses in lightweight cotton, printed in plaids, and florals that suggest feed sack material. Also, a selection of blouses.
They're only $22 - 29, but I'm waiting a couple weeks to see if they might go on sale. If not, I'll be forced to buy a couple items at full price before the selection gets too thin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner