Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage inspired new years resolution

Claudette

New in Town
Methuselah said:
One of the saddest things I've seen recently: I went walking in the Peak District, a National Park near here. At the train station there is a gym, full of spandex clad goons pumping away on treadmills. Why not just walk up the hills!?!?

:eek:fftopic:I completely agree with you! I have quite a few friends who work out. I understand the convenience, however, I don't understand why they buy the milk when they could get the cow for free. There are plenty of beautiful (FREE) places to workout around Austin! :eek:fftopic:

Claudette

New in Town
I resolute to....
1. LEARN TO SEW! I've had a sewing machine for over a year, and haven't sewn anything. I feel really guilty because my mom bought it for me, and it's just been sitting there.
2. convince my mom that she should buy a vintage dress to get married in. I recently showed her some dresses online and she liked them! Plus, they are relatively cheaper (and more awesome) than modern ones.
4. wear red lipstick and look confident when doing so.
5. buy a colorful petticoat... because they're so fluffy and pretty!
6. buy more vintage things. I bought my first vintage dress a week ago and have two more coming my way!
7. see more rockabilly/jazz/blues/swing bands preform and make friends with people who love them like I do.

I have even more non-vintage resolutions. It may seem like a lot when written down, but most are minor resolutions which are easily attainable (like buying stuff!!).

Professor

A-List Customer
Adios 2009

My resolution is only "vintage" in that it's inspired by events and mistakes of the past...

My New Year's resolution for 2010 is not only to never again forsake those who are genuine, true of heart and honest of word, but to be wary of the disingenuous as well.

2009 was a doggone lousy year for me...even where I woke up on New Year's last year was an omen to that. Today, January 1, 2010, is a truly New Year and a new opportunity for me. Life today possesses more potential than it did before, as last year I felt doomed to an eternity wasted, whereas now I'm free. In that freedom, my prayer is that someone dear to my heart, who I did not see throughout the last year, may be a part of my life once more.

If one good thing came out of last year, it was in the Summer, when I finally discovered the pleasure of vintage attire. Up till then, for me it had all been about architecture, vehicles and culture. The woman I had been sharing life with prior (the reason for my feeling of doom) had tried coercing me into wearing vintage suits. Of course, aside from simply not finding what I liked, I resisted, being so averse to coercion as I am. Ultimately, it was on my own, during a stop in Redlands, that I found something appealing to my eye. They were all right, it does feel better wearing vintage!
;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Methuselah said:
Sad news about your brother.

I have hiking / country walking on my list as I have never set foot into a gym and don't intend to.

One of the saddest things I've seen recently: I went walking in the Peak District, a National Park near here. At the train station there is a gym, full of spandex clad goons pumping away on treadmills. Why not just walk up the hills!?!?

Thanks, Methuselah, it was a bit disturbing. He goes on about his health issues, but then continues to eat as he always has. :eusa_doh:

I've been through the Peak District--it is indeed a wonderful place for walking and bicycling! (I was motorcycling. :D ) Walking is difficult/painful for me right now, but I have my own very expensive gym equipment in the house so I've no real reason for not using it. Once I've lost some weight it'll be easier to walk and I plan on taking my dogs for walks in the state forests that are in my area.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Claudette said:
:eek:fftopic:I completely agree with you! I have quite a few friends who work out. I understand the convenience, however, I don't understand why they buy the milk when they could get the cow for free. There are plenty of beautiful (FREE) places to workout around Austin! :eek:fftopic:

Ah, but it gets so darn hot in Austin! ;) I was stationed there at Bergstrom Air Force Base in the late '80s. I did spend a year or so swimming with the AusTenacious swim team. One of the pools they used was just down the street from my apartment.

Cheers,
Tom

UmmBatul

New in Town
--Help my father remodel his house--it's a 1903 house with a lot of potential.
--Keep the past in mind (Keep a coupld glamour icons in mind) when shopping for new clothes, make-up and hair products.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
1. As much as I use it, as much as its reflexive, as much as its historic and well predates my vintage style - the f-word does not need to be in my vocabulary, certainly not as f-in' often as it seems to be. So bye bye to it and its good friends the s-word and d-word as well. Dang and sugar and oh snap can all stay though, as well as possibly more elaborate and archaic forms and oaths, just to keep things interesting. :)

2. Work out. Every day. No excuses. 2 miles of walking or a half hour of cardio or weights, minimum, EVERY SINGLE DAY. If I said more than that it might not get done every day but this is a small, doable amount.

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
My only vintage resolution is to lose enough weight to fit into my vintage wardrobe and go to Reading this year!!!!

mary in Sharpsburg

Professor

A-List Customer
Viola said:
1. As much as I use it, as much as its reflexive, as much as its historic and well predates my vintage style - the f-word does not need to be in my vocabulary, certainly not as f-in' often as it seems to be. So bye bye to it and its good friends the s-word and d-word as well. Dang and sugar and oh snap can all stay though, as well as possibly more elaborate and archaic forms and oaths, just to keep things interesting. :)
It's all about moderation, sometimes no other word quite conveys the appropriate emotion! ;)

Claudette

New in Town
Tango Yankee said:
Ah, but it gets so darn hot in Austin! ;) I was stationed there at Bergstrom Air Force Base in the late '80s. I did spend a year or so swimming with the AusTenacious swim team. One of the pools they used was just down the street from my apartment.

Cheers,
Tom

LOL I've lived here all my life, so the heat and I get along well. I'll admit I still complain sometimes, but really, I don't want to be anywhere else. Plus, an extremely hot day is a good excuse to go swimming! I've never been to the Hills Fitness Center, but have heard positive things about it.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
My New Years resolutions for 2010 (some vintage!)

Flirt more
Go out more
Eat more amazing food
Drink more champagne
Try as much as I can to look vintage(y) every day and night!
Have (and be) a lot more mischief, debauchery and glamurous fun.

I know it will be hard, but I will try as much as I can. So far I have had a great start!

Avalon

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
My New Years resolutions for 2010 (some vintage!)

Flirt more
Go out more
Eat more amazing food
Drink more champagne
Try as much as I can to look vintage(y) every day and night!
Have (and be) a lot more mischief, debauchery and glamurous fun.

I know it will be hard, but I will try as much as I can. So far I have had a great start!

Best resolutions ever. lol

I'll stick with my traditional New Year's Resolution: to not make any. Can't break 'em if ya don't make 'em... and when I did, either the whole list was busted before the end of January or people were begging me to reconsider 'em, like the time I tried to kick my caffeine habit.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda