Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage lipstick

Mrs. MK

New in Town
Makeup411.com

I have to put a plug in here for Makeup411.com. I contains an endless catalog of celebrity faces and lists the make-up they actually wore for that photo. There are also some great tips by Hollywood make-up artists.

Mrs. MK

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Well, the whole concept of color correcting is to cover the color you do not like with its opposite on the color wheel, as the two colors will neutralize each other. But when you are as pale as me (read: almost no makeup company, high end or otherwise, makes a shade that matches), you have to be careful with what color you put on your face, or it will stand out like mad and need to be topped with a heavier coat of foundation over the top (which ends up looking very unnatural.) And if makeup is not your thing, color correcting can look obvious, very easily. A good foundation will reduce most imperfections, and not end up so heavy (and I am quite good with makeup, and found the green neutralizer didn't work half as well as a good, creamy foundation.)

Viola—defining your brows means to pluck them into a nice shape, and fill them in with a brow color. I use a pencil, as for me, it is the easiest method; but a lot of people prefer to lay down brow color (you can use an eye shadow for this) with an angled brow brush. Period brows had a very specific look, and it makes a big difference to have your brows shaped (you don’t need to be as severe as the original; if you are into the 1940s though, the desired look is for a natural, well-defined arch.) For me, bushy brows kill any makeup look, and fast :)

You can see a before and after video here (go to “Iconic Beauty”, and look at the 1940s video):
http://www.helenarubinstein.com/_int/_en/galerie_maquillage/home.aspx

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Vintage Lipstick shades

Hello everyone i am knew to Fedora i love the site and reading all of your cosmetic tips thought it would be great to share my cosmetic favorites with you gals! My favorite lipstick above all is Red Devil #77 by Victoria Secret a beautiful hot pinkish deep red that glides on like silk, another shade i love that had the girls at Mac asking what shade of lipstick i had on was Loreal hip high intensity pigments in BOLD #358 this color is a deep cherry color.If you like a deep burgandy i recommend Estee Lauder # 738 Possessive it's very flapper 1920's. For the girls who love pink i recommend Girl About Town by Mac this color made me start liking pink i was always nervous about trying other colors since i am a red girl.And if like that orangey color then you may like Lady Danger by Mac which i find to be very retro 1950's. Check them out and enjoy!;)

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Lipstick

I was out at a beauy supply store the other day i bought these great lipsticks with really great staying power and pigment they remind me of something made in the 50's and very afordable to, which is really nice the brand is called La Femme here are the best colors for that retro look Cleo Red which is a bright red, Cranberry like a cherry red, #42 which is like a plum wine color, Bittersweet which is a really nice red orange color!

P

Paul

Your wisdom require about this lipstick

nars.jpg

I do not know if any of you have worn NARS cosmetics (New York) and know what it's like in comparison to any other brand ,as this is my first lipstick I have chosen their semi matte in Jungle Red.
I thought it would be a good starting point and in the future I could always alter the shade or brand if I felt I needed too.
Even in my smallish town their are just so many different brands and shades to choose from I felt it was high time I plunged in, and bought one that looked as the sales assistant said "Classic Red".
Thank you.

Rosie

One Too Many
I've not used NARS but, it's a decent brand so it can't be too bad. Be careful with reds. You have to alter the color by mixing slightly in order to get a shade that is good for you. A red too bright in color might make you look a little "lady of the evening-ish". Buy a slight different color and mix little by little until you get a shade that is flattering for you.

Orchids Please

New in Town
Lips Like Cherries

I've worn Revlon Raven Red since forever as it is one of the few '40's colors still around. You have to search for it - it's a great blood red! Revlon now makes their lipsticks in the UK and they are not the same colors. I swoop down on any store that might sell makeup to check for what I need. I found a TON of Tabu & Max Factor lipsticks in a drugstore in Needles, CA. It is called the Needles Drugstore. They had the strangest assortment of stuff.

Back to brass tacks. A company called La Femme (check on line) makes retro colors you can buy online (Red Roses & Coronation are great med. reds)
They also have a complete line of makeup, including tube & cake mascara.

ulta beauty stores always have a ton of stuff half price - they eliminated all their Max Factor line. They are online as ultabeauty.com.

Lots of luck looking!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

Orchids Please

New in Town
Creme Mascara

Go to www.makeupmania.com, and go to La Femme Creme Mascara.

Creme mascara is fabulous! To use it, first powder eyelashes. Then apply thin line of product to brush. Apply to lashes from lashline to tips. Let dry.
Va-voom!

CAke mascara requires a tacky mix of water to mascara - the perfect mix is almost dry but still moist. Keep applying coats (let dry in between) until you get the right effect.

If you keep your mouth open when applying mascara you won't blink and smear it.

Does anyone have any info on the practice of "beading your eyelashes" whch was popular in the '20's & '30's?

Have fun, glamour gals;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paul said:
nars.jpg

I do not know if any of you have worn NARS cosmetics (New York) and know what it's like in comparison to any other brand ,as this is my first lipstick I have chosen their semi matte in Jungle Red.
I thought it would be a good starting point and in the future I could always alter the shade or brand if I felt I needed too.
Even in my smallish town their are just so many different brands and shades to choose from I felt it was high time I plunged in, and bought one that looked as the sales assistant said "Classic Red".
Thank you.
I like Nars lipstick. My mom, who always wears shades of red lipstick, swears by Nars. Trish McEvoy also makes a great matte lipstick, but she is difficult to find. Usually sold in small independant stores. I have all of the Trish make-up brushes. Don't be put off by the price, they are totally worth it. 2 of my shadow brushes are 5 years old and are still like new. I clean them with the brush cleaner at least twice a week, and this contributes to their longevity. But, totally worth the money. All the other brushes I have bought, I had to replace within 6 months, so I ended up spending more money on them in the long run.
Chanel also makes a beutiful matte red lipstick, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it! I just finished my last tube of it the other day and threw out the case, now I can't remember the name! Very dumb of me, but I have a feeling when I go to buy more I'll recognize it. But, if you have a Chanel seller near you, check them out. The one near me is very helpful too.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I just found out that Revlon raven red was discontinued in 1999 they only make the nail color i was thinking maybe Besame cherry red lipstick might be the best match Jitterbug what do you think? Has anyone ever tryed any Chanel lipsticks? If so what colors are pretty i have never tryed them i have this horrible need to try eveything!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Actually, the Raven Red polish I tried looked more like a wine tone against my fair skin. I would compare it to MAC Dubonnet (which pulls wine on me as well, though on others it pulls more red.)

I have not tried any Chanel lipsticks, but I have a friend who liked the shade Shanghai Red. Christian Dior Roulette Red is supposed to be a good vintage red as well.

My color of the moment is MAC Cherry lip liner topped with Fanplastico lip lacquer (blotted to a soft shine). Has a great 50s-glam look to it and for some reason seems to smear less than regular red lipsticks do on me [huh]

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Thats so funny i just put that same thing on yesterday :p ! You should try Besame red or the cherry red lined with cherry lipliner by Mac toppoed with Fanplastico that looks great and it's so nice for photographs!Dubonnet is a great color but i never end up buying it but i might after i have finished up 2 more Mac items that way i can turn in 6 empty containers to get it free!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thats so funny i just put that same thing on yesterday ! You should try Besame red or the cherry red lined with cherry lipliner by Mac toppoed with Fanplastico that looks great and it's so nice for photographs!

You know, I generally don't apply lip gloss/lacquer over lipstick because then the combo starts to feel too heavy. But I recently rediscovered the Fanplastico lip lacquer in my train case and I am loving it right now! I'll try your suggestion and see how it turns out at my next photo shoot :)

Dubonnet is probably the color I reach for least, because it becomes a little too deep/wine for my liking (I prefer fire engine red shades lol)

dollfaced

Familiar Face
lighter vintage shades

Jitterbug Do you know of any lighter shades that are still vintage looking that might look good with black hair and light complexion other then pink? I try looking but i am so use to wearing red and deep cherry shades i am not sure what to look for or what will look good yet still vintage?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
How about a fuchsia pink? I generally don't stray from red lipsticks (I need the pop of color), but bright/deep 50s pinks are also quite striking (I have a great Revlon one at home but the name escapes me; I will check it out and post the name later ;)) Berry/plum shades work well, too. My sister has very dark hair and very fair skin, and she wears a pretty plum shade made by Avon (Vino Royale; Viva Pink looks to be a great pink shade as well.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany