Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Magic Lithographs In My Collection

Professor Plum

New in Town
4815961801_444506c164_b.jpg

KASSNAR_ELEPHANT_WITH_PICTURE-1.jpg

100_1024.jpg

100_1015-1.jpg

100_0471-1.jpg

100_43291-1-1.jpg

100_0133-3-1.jpg

100_3677-1.jpg

CARTERWINDOWCARDNo01.jpg

100_5642-1.jpg

Professor Plum

New in Town
Wow!

Will you look at that!

What a nice collection. I didn't know that anyone else remembered Alexander.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

C.A. Conlin was a real piece of work and one of the most "colorful" performers in magic's Golden Age.

Pick up a copy of, Alexander The Man Who Knows by Charvet and Pomeroy for a most interesting read on the gent.

Here's another personal favorite from a magician everyone will recognize:

100_1020-1.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That one's up in my kitchen right now!

I also have a huge-format book of vintage magic posters. And I have grabbed .jpg files of many of the ones shown here from various web sources over the years. Man, I love those old magic posters!

I was a magician myself during my teen years, back in the 70s. I still have all my apparatus, and I occasionally practice my sleights. And I recall all kinds of magic trivia... like how Chung Ling Soo wasn't Chinese!

Professor Plum

New in Town
That one's up in my kitchen right now!

I also have a huge-format book of vintage magic posters. And I have grabbed .jpg files of many of the ones shown here from various web sources over the years. Man, I love those old magic posters!

I was a magician myself during my teen years, back in the 70s. I still have all my apparatus, and I occasionally practice my sleights. And I recall all kinds of magic trivia... like how Chung Ling Soo wasn't Chinese!

Nice to meet you, Doc!

100 Years of Magic Posters
by Charles and Regina Reynolds.
Several of the posters shown in that book are from my collection.

100_5656-1.jpg

Below is a variation of the one on the front cover by the same lithographer that I purchased from Christian Fechner.

100_5653-1-1-1.jpg

You remember correctly.
Chung Ling Soo was an American named William Ellsworth Robinson.
He was killed on the London stage in 1918 performing the bullet catch trick.
It didn't work...

SOODRAGONLETTERS_100MAG_3-1.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yup, that's the book. I think my sister found it sitting on a shelf when she was a NYC publishing exec back in the 80s/90s and grabbed it for me.

And that bullet-catch, that's a toughie. Though the great Robert-Houdin stopped a war with it.

Professor Plum

New in Town
Yup, that's the book. I think my sister found it sitting on a shelf when she was a NYC publishing exec back in the 80s/90s and grabbed it for me.

And that bullet-catch, that's a toughie. Though the great Robert-Houdin stopped a war with it.

Robert-Houdin also impressed those unhappy Algerian Arabs with his performance of the light-heavy box.

There is a good book on the bullet catch trick called Twelve Have Died Bullet Catching - The Story & Secrets by Ben Robinson.
It's a bit difficult to find, but if you come across a copy, it's an absorbing read.

100_2740-2-1.jpg

Houdini was adding the trick to his act, but Robinson's death while performing it spooked him so bad, he round filed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner