Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Makeup Favorites

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FYI ladies, certain shades of Coty powder are on clearance for $1.75 at CVS currently! At my CVS the translucent shade was not on clearance, alas... But you might want to check it out.

Also, there were plenty still in the 1935 commemorative packaging.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
FYI ladies, certain shades of Coty powder are on clearance for $1.75 at CVS currently! At my CVS the translucent shade was not on clearance, alas... But you might want to check it out.

Also, there were plenty still in the 1935 commemorative packaging.

I noticed that yesterday! I ended up buying some Translucent since I didn't realize it only applied to certain shades. Oh well, I'll always have back up! Does anyone know what each shade is like? I was too afraid to buy one and find out that its totally not my color.

Miss_Bella_Hell

pigeon toe said:
I noticed that yesterday! I ended up buying some Translucent since I didn't realize it only applied to certain shades. Oh well, I'll always have back up! Does anyone know what each shade is like? I was too afraid to buy one and find out that its totally not my color.

I have no idea actually, I've always used the translucent. I was so excited when I thought translucent was on sale, I marched up to the checkout with 3 containers. :( Oh well.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
kerry said:
Hi ladies, Can anyone recommend a good foundation, lightest colour possible as Im quite pale, for 40+ skin. I find a that all the makeup designed for older skin doesnt have much coverage and tends to be either pinky or too dark.
Thanks
Kerry

Shiseido makes a good cream foundation in a yellow-based pale shade. Also, you may have good luck with a 'stage' foundation like Cinema Secrets, which is nice and creamy and comes in a huge range of colors (I am extremely pale and can wear the yellow-based shade 601-18.)

If you do a search for the powder on Amazon, you can get a better idea of the color chart (different sellers sell different colors.) It's not a perfect guide, but the shades are numbered with Rachel No.1 being a very pale (nearly white) color; the other shades progress into darker, more rosy or beige tones.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
kerry said:
Hi ladies, Can anyone recommend a good foundation, lightest colour possible as Im quite pale, for 40+ skin. I find a that all the makeup designed for older skin doesnt have much coverage and tends to be either pinky or too dark.
Thanks
Kerry

Estee Lauder makes a full coverage foundation called Maximum Cover, it also contains an SPF 15. Creamy Ivory is the lighest colour but I had to order it from the Lauder website recently as none of the stores here had the colour in stock.

Etienne

A-List Customer
kerry said:
Thanks
Kerry

I have older skin (I'm 56) which tends to be REALLY dry. I see an esthetician every few months and she has me on a great regimen for cleansing, moisturizing, etc. I recently tried on Clinique's "Continuous Coverage" over my moisturizer and I was amazed at the coverage! It is the most pigmented foundation I have ever used, more so than Cinema Secrets or Joe Blasco. And you need the TINIEST amount to do your whole face. I got their "01" color and wound up mixing it with 2 other foundations to find a consistency that is good for my skin. It even says on the instructions that it can be used "under" your regular foundation to cover spots, discolorations, etc. It's definitely worth looking at!!

Daisy Buchanan

Well this doesn't pertain to make-up, but it does have to do with beauty. After nearly an hour of searching the archives for the eyebrow thread and coming up with nothing, I thought this would be the next best thread to post this information. I apologize in advance if this info has already been given in another thread, I did some searching for it and couldn't find any such info elsewhere, and I thought that some of you gals if you already don't know about this might find it useful.

I recently started using "Ardell cold wax eyebrow shapers". They are shaped clear strips with what they refer to as "cold wax" ( I think its some sort of scotch tape) that I find have been great help in shaping my eyebrows. My eyebrows don't grow fast. I only get them waxed once every 5 to 6 months. I really only have to pluck little strays every few weeks. But, because I really don't need to have a regular waxing appointment sometimes I wake up one morning and I realize I must get it done. It's hard to keep something up that you don't have to do regularly. Well, I found these cold wax strips and I really like them. They work really well, and I'm getting a nice shape from them. No messy wax and sticks to deal with, or worrying about wax dripping into areas you don't want waxed off and not realizing until you've pulled the cloth and are missing a big chunk of eyebrow you actually wanted to keep:eek:!
So, for you gals who take care of your eyebrows at home, I recommend these strips. I bought them at CVS and saw them at Walgreen's too. I use them to touch up the area between my eyebrows that I used to tweeze every few weeks because for some reason that is the one area where I grow hair regularly. For that area I only need a corner of one of the thicker strips. So, I take a scissors and cut off a big enough piece, that way I don't waste an entire strip on one small area. So, they're not just good for shaping the brow, they can be used on all area's. Also, they are pretty pain free. You might have to do more than one pass over a specific area, in particular area's with shorter hairs. But, overall they work really well. With them, like other waxing techniques, you might want to use some sort of soothing lotion afterwards. But, I find that I get less irritation with these than the hot wax treatments. You can't burn yourself or irritate your skin from heat. They are also very reasonably priced. I think they were $5 for a box of 36 strips. So they are a time and money saver, and sooo much easier than attempting to shape my brows with a tweezer or trying to remember to make an appointment for a professional wax every 5 months.
I'll try to see if I can find a place that sells this particular brand online. But check your local pharmacy, they might just carry them in the section where they sell false eyelashes.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
I use maybelline dream matte mousse in cameo shade foundation for nights out or full on makeup look it is very light and covers really well with just the tiniest bit. i used to use Bourjois matt lovely...but i prefer the coverage of the mabybelline, as i hate wearing foundation.

Pressed powders i use depending on the look are for daytime fresh and natural Benefits dandelion finely spun powder,,,,adore it

Bodyshop pressed face powder in shade 3....

Blusher...i have been trying to find the right shade for me for ages and i found it in Benefits "fickle" rouge its a really 40's colour.

Liquid eyeliner at the moment i am using bourjois brown and black shades. They go on well and stay on. But still on the look out for the perfect one...i tried the dior one and unless you want shiny eyeliner avoid it its hideous.

Lipstick my favs are benefits deitrich red...stays on like no lippy i own and doesn't dry my lips out...not too intense a red for perfect for daytime.

Mac Russian red as jitterbug suggested is great...thanks gal ...but am still trying to find a way of getting it not to dry out.

I have Rimmel red diva but this bleeds horribly on me.

I also love benefits "fickle" lipstick a gorgeous reddish brown a really 40's colour. from there glamourette 1940's inspired range

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
Shiseido makes a good cream foundation in a yellow-based pale shade. Also, you may have good luck with a 'stage' foundation like Cinema Secrets, which is nice and creamy and comes in a huge range of colors (I am extremely pale and can wear the yellow-based shade 601-18.)

If you do a search for the powder on Amazon, you can get a better idea of the color chart (different sellers sell different colors.) It's not a perfect guide, but the shades are numbered with Rachel No.1 being a very pale (nearly white) color; the other shades progress into darker, more rosy or beige tones.

JBD,

Yes, little brushes. I use my Besame sample shadow for eyeliner, so I have a slant-tipped brush for that, and thankfully had a couple of lip brushes on hand. I'm willing to bet once you use a brush for your lipstick, you'll never go back. Makes a huge difference!

Let me/us know what you think of the samples. What I like of their stuff, I love, but the rest I can really leave.

Cheers!

BegintheBeguine

kerry said:
Thanks
Kerry
Nina Ricci Flawless Control Foundation. I got it for an incredibly cheap $9US. Why didn't I buy every bottle they had? I didn't realize it would be the best foundation I'd ever used. The color I got is 02 Tient Pale, as my skin is also very pale and I have nasty red permanent blotches that are difficult to cover and get worse the farther away I get from age 40. It is almost too pale if anything, but not quite. I used it for the first time Saturday night and I (gasp) didn't need to use any concealer. I recommend this whatever the price. (Of course the online company I bought it from has run out so I won't post the link.)

Kimberly

Practically Family
I too find that my makeup needs have changed and I am 38. I can no longer wear powder because it actually sinks into my fine lines and makes them look worse. I guess it's payback for my teen years of laying out in the sun with baby oil. :eek:

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
It has taken me a long time to find shades of red that I can actually stand wearing. Being a ultra pale natural redhead any amount of blues or oranges in lipstick really stand out on me. Most of the time when wearing red I sway towards a bricktoned red muted down with brown liner (under the lipstick over the entire lip area) but after several trials and errors I came across two products that together make an amazing bright true red on me. Loreal colour riche liner in Always Red over the entire lip area and come over that with Loreal True Red lipstick.

Brick Red
attachment81412388.jpg

True Red
NewImage3.jpg

Kimberly

Practically Family
Rainyday, you look great in that color red, it really helps to bring out your eyes. I have to be careful with red lipsticks and need more of a corally red.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I've found a red shade that works for day on me, a matte brick red that is not loud. The only problem is, it fades quickly. Anyone know of any good lipliner brands that blend underneath without all those harsh lines?

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Airspun

Someone, and I think it was JBD, said that you can mix Airpsun with rubbing alcohol and make a pressed powder. Well, guess what, it works like a charm. I have a few vintage compacts for loose powder and they have a few issues. Either they leak or they don't dispense enough powder for my oil slick of a nose. So, last night I cleaned out an eyeshadow compact and mixed up the powder/alcohol and this morning, it's pressed powder and works perfectly. Just thought I would give you ladies the heads up on this.

Thank you JBD. You really know your stuffl.:eusa_clap

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Boots - Number 7

When I was a kid growing up in Canada we used to have Boots chemists. I remember my grandmother wore number 7 make-up. She was a real Dior "New look" type of woman. Red lips, red nails, hair always set, clothes immaculate and owned about 6 fur coats. She was born in the 20's but she never really moved on from the 50's!:D

Anyways - since I moved to the UK I've been able to get hold of Number 7 stuff and I have to say it is one of my fave brands.

I found this on their website - I love the vintage packaging and I think you will too!

http://www.boots.com/brandtreatment....jsp?classificationid=1031772&wblinktype=SITD

Can you get Number 7 in the states?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE No. 7. I use their version of Touche Eclat, carry a powder compact and have used their skin care stuff and various bits of makeup throughout the years. It's very good quality without being too horrendously expensive, and they have those great deals all the time - I got one of their gift bags with all sorts of goodies. Don't forget they've been all over the papers after scientists discovered their anti-ageing serum ACTUALLY WORKS! Their sales went up 2000% in one week and they sold out all over the country!

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Boots - Number 7

I actually have that serum and I thought it was really good stuff. In fact I reccomended it to a lady at work and she liked it as well. Funny really becasue I thought it did make a difference.

I don't work for boots by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112