Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage maternity and vintage clothes for kids

Rosie

One Too Many
Congrats Miss Dottie and DecoDoll!! I'm expecting too and honestly, didn't even try to find any vintage. With plus size vintage being such a full time job to track down, I didn't even want to try for plus size maternith vintage. I've been in full blown maternity for about two months, I'm in the third trimester and I've been trying to be my usual self, funky, vintage, ethnic or whatever its called but, its been hard. I did a lot of big shirts, petal pushers and ballernia flats (whcih sometimes turned into flip flops by the tnd of the day, I'll admit). I can't wait for it to get cooler so that I can wear swing coats and wide leg pants. I think I'll be a much more fashionable pregnant vintage woman in winter than I have been for summer.

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks and Congratulations, Rosie!!! I'm in my second trimester. I'm really hoping my feet don't swell because ...well because who wants swollen feet :p ... but also, my feet will be really cold in the winter in flip flops!!

Thanks for the link Charbeau. That site is soooo cute!

Rosie

One Too Many
The swollen feet thing is HORRIBLE. The only time my feet won't swell is if I am wearing sneakers. Sneakers don't go with my attire AT ALL vintage or otherwise but, sometimes ya gotta sacrifice.

It was cooler for a few days here in NYC so, I did do the wide leg pant, blouse, swing coat thing but, I can only wear "regular" shoes for a few hours before switching over to sneakers or flip flops.

This thing: http://www.ingridandisabel.com/
will help you wear the bottoms you want a bit longer but nothing will help with the shoes.

decodoll

Practically Family
oh yes! I love my Bella Band!!

Sorry about your swollen feet. :( I am so not looking forward to that. Right now I mostly just have the killer heartburn....

cemetarian

Vendor
Does Anyone Dress their Children in Vintage

or Vintage Repro?

Just curious? I know that there are lots of people who adopt vintage as a lifestyle, but I'm curious if this extends to the children also.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
My hubby and I do not have kids yet, but when we do, I have every intention of dressing them more retro/vintage than modern.....I've already started collecting patterns and knitting books with children's sizing. When they get to be older they can choose how they wanna dress....or whether or not they believe in God...you know, those sorta things. :)
However, I would never dress them in a way that might inspire a lot of teasing--i would keep it very classic. Not like this:

trike.jpg

As cute as this is, that cap might get his a** kicked.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
When I find them, I buy vintage children's clothes to give to my vintage-minded friend with a baby girl.

I don't plan on kids myself, but I think vintage children's clothes are adorable. I do have a little boy's gabardine coat (with a damn sensor tag attached! Didn't notice when I bought it from the estate sale of an antique dealer) and I hold on to stuff like that until I have a good place for it to go.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I dressed my kids in vintage-inspired clothing when they were very small. Nothing too drastic, just classics. Once they were old enough to voice an opinion, I let them wear tshirts and jeans. Except on Easter and Christmas when we visit family, every dresses well.

But my 15 yo son was thrilled when I brought home a 3 piece pin-striped RL suit from the bins; it's a bit long in the arms and trousers but I told him I could take it up for him if he has an occasion to wear it. He even asked if he could wear it for school picture day, then changed his mind when he realized his only hat is a derby.

cemetarian

Vendor
He even asked if he could wear it for school picture day, then changed his mind when he realized his only hat is a derby.

Too Funny.........

My son grew up in a theater atmosphere so he was used to wearing vintage for costuming..........but now that he's 34 he prefers jeans and T shirts..LOL

I find so many adorable little girls patterns..and am just curious as to where the cut off is on Mama dressing up her little girl and the young girl making that choice on her own........

I guess I'm thinking in terms of when folks go to car rallys and other places where they dress in period (NOT VIVA Las Vegas) where they can and do take the kiddos.............if they look for vintage stuff for the kids.

cemetarian

Vendor
That's kinda what I'm thinking too........the toddler stuff is ok but the Girls stuff really gets iffy and forget little boys..........BWAHAHAHAHA..

This is the type of thing I'm talking about.......

Hollywood_1511_a.jpg

or this one.......I just LUV this one...look at the little bonnet.....

Hollywood_9630_a.jpg

Rachael

A-List Customer
cemetarian said:
I guess I'm thinking in terms of when folks go to car rallys and other places where they dress in period (NOT VIVA Las Vegas) where they can and do take the kiddos.............if they look for vintage stuff for the kids.

oh, for vintage events? you bet the kids go vintage. Either that or they wait in the car.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
the maternity is not nrealy the problem (although, i did not wear vintage maternity)
the Problem is post baby.

Seriously.. have you ever tried nursing a baby in a high waist skirt and a back button blouse. FORGET IT.
How in good heavens did they nurse their children back then???
I have been stocking up on front button dresses, but even that is a PIA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ