Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage mens Bathing Suits and Swim Trunks

D

Deleted member 16736

It's summer! Vintage mens' swimwear

Any suggestions for good reproductions from the 1930's/40's? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 16736

I like this two-piece suit style:

http://www.swingfashionista.com/tag/1930s-mens-swimwear/

Who makes them anymore?

UPDATE: I contacted Jantzen, a division of Perry Ellis International, about reproducing a vintage line of mens' swimwear. Jantzen has recently started making recreations of their classic women's designs as well as new vintage-inspired designs. I heard back the same day from an Executive Vice President at Perry Ellis who thanked me for my suggestion and forwarded it to their design and marketing team. Let's cross our fingers and hope Jantzen does something for us guys next summer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I picked this up and wore it to the New Sheridan Club Summer Party in 2011. Eventually I hope to have it copied in a modern, chlorine-and-sag-proof fabric:

IMG_0150-Flickr-PhotoSharing.png

This is what I really want, design wise:

3081.full.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

Nice set of photos! I've contemplated picking up a pair of reproduction WWII swim trunks myself. Seems the ladies have all the good choices when it comes to vintage/retro swimwear.

I recently emailed Jantzen asking them to reproduce their classic mens' swimwear, and I heard back from a VP for Perry Ellis (which owns Jantzen). He said my request was forwarded to the marketing department. I was very surprised to hear from an executive and I'm hoping they come out with something. They did a reproduction of their womens' swimwear recently that was very well-received, at least by me!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
They show up on ebay from time to time and often can be had quite cheap. I picked up a couple of pairs, I just to lose a little more weight and work out more before wearing them. Those small vintage shorts are not very forgiving for us without Burt's buld...

tumblr_m5tsgtyKPf1qb8ugro1_500.jpg

Flicka

One Too Many
A 20s or possibly Edwardian swimsuit is on my 'to sew' list because I'm going to an event in Sep with a watery theme. I have a few 30s patterns for knitting both men and women's vintage swimsuits, but think I'll sew this particular outfit.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Picked these up at an estate sale today. First one is a Ban-Lon knit, late 50s/early 60s:
P1080087.jpg knittrunks1.jpg

This Speedo is probably 70s. It took me a moment to figure out what the numbers written inside were... the guy's locker combination!
P1080085.jpg P1080086.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points