Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage music with a Latin flair.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I love all sorts of music. :) Who doesn't here?
I like so many differant genres that I will concentrate on one, like classical, then move on to calypso, heavy metal, new wave, and so on.
Right now my major focus is retro Latin influenced music. Desi Arnez, Tito Puente, and Xavier Cugat of course. But I know there must be a lot more artists and music out there that I missed. [huh]
Any recommendations?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I suggest you look into Don Aspiazu. I believe he was largely responsbile for making latin music (Cuban to be specific) popular in the states. His rendition of El Manisero was a chart topper in 1931.

And of course, there's Carmen Miranda.

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Latin Jazz

Great topic - I love latin jazz! Tito is classic, I dig his stuff. You should give Eddie Palmeri's early stuff a listen (think 60s). Good stuff. It's a little hard to come by, but thanks to the internet can be found. Cal Tjader also has some incredible stuff if you like your latin in a more traditional jazz style.

There's a Charlie Parker album called "South of the Border" (originality in album titles was most certainly not Verve's strong point). Absolutely stunning. Parker wailing majestically atop standard, though wonderfully executed, big band latin riffs. Chico O'Farrell's Afro-Cuban Jazz Suite is simply amazing in its complexity and beauty. It rivals the best of Ellington. Track list:

1. Mango Mangue
2. Okiedoke
3. No Noise (Parts 1 And 2)
4. My Little Suede Shoes
5. Un Poquito De Tu Amor
6. Why Do I Love You?
7. Tico-Tico
8. Fiesta
9. La Cucuracha
10. Mama Inez
11. Estrellita
12. La Paloma
13. Begin The Beguine
14. Afro-Cuban Jazz Suite

One not to be missed ...

bk

Tangoman

New in Town
Give these a try: Machito, Johnny Pacheco, Mario Bauza, Joe Cuba, and Tito Rodriguez, to name a few! For more modern try Manny Oquendo's Libre - they still carry the torch and it burns hot!

S

Samsa

This might be a little too obvious (you seem to know more about music than I) but Antonio Carlos Jobim is always good. I guess he would technically be classified as Brazilian Jazz or Bossa Nova...but it's close to Latin, anyway. I particularly like the album he made with Frank Sinatra. Also, the album he made with Elis Regina is great.

Salv

One Too Many
Here are a couple more:

- Lalo Guerrero - some fantastic Chicano swing, mixing jazz, boogie-woogie and Latin. Marihuana Boogie and Chicas Patas Boogie are excellent, with the latter track being a Pachuco version of Kay Starr's Oh Babe!. Amazon.com have sound samples from a CD called Pachuco Boogie which is made up of recordings from the late 40s to the late 50s.

- Recordings featuring Chano Pozo, a Cuban conga player who wrote Manteca and the classic Tin Tin Deo and worked with every major Cuban musician in the 40s, and many American musicians as well, including Dizzy Gillespie and James Moody. Try to find the James Moody version of Tin Tin Deo which features Pozo on congas and vocals - one of my favourite pieces of music.

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Salv, Tin Tin Deo is a true all time classic. James Moody's version is great, but I'm partial to Dizzy's take on it. You ever heard the version by Mike Longo at the Detroit Jazz Festival? Good stuff. One of those live recordings that really captures the energy of the crowd.

Mjr. Nick, I also recommend checking out Perez Prado. His stuff is more in the lounge end of the jazz spectrum, but it's still killer stuff. Get ready to mambo!

Marc

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Four Amigos

(Disclaimer; I'm totally biased here as this group, The Four Amigos, are personal friends with my parents.)

This band played in the 1960's all over the world; in San Juan, New York, San Francisco, Waikiki etc. Some of their Capitol Records include; The Four Amigos, The Amigos; "Live at the Ilikai Hotel", The Amigos "Goes Latin"; The Amigos; "Live at the Hungry I". I remember on one family camping trip up in the California Redwoods, we were sitting around the campfire and their lead guitarists was playing his guitar. People from around the camp ground would walk by to listen. One guy came up and told him; "you play beautifully, you should go professional".lol My Father talked to him around November and he was doing a tour in Puerto Rico.

Another Latin band that is one of my Father's favorites is Trio Los Panchos.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A year or two ago, I bought a CD by Nilo Menendez with music from 1931 to 1934. He wrote "Green Eyes." The songs are for congas, boleros and other Cuban dances.

otterhound

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
Try to find the James Moody version of Tin Tin Deo ... one of my favourite pieces of music.

I'll second that. Specifically the James Moody version. Unfortunately it isn't available on Rhapsody.:( Anyone know whether it is on iTunes?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Mom's favorite LP back in the 60s was a compilation called "Coffee Break with a Latin Beat." I remember there was some Cugat on it, among other artists. It's in storage somewhere or I'd post a pic of the cover.

Salv

One Too Many
otterhound said:
I'll second that. Specifically the James Moody version. Unfortunately it isn't available on Rhapsody.:( Anyone know whether it is on iTunes?

It's not on the iTunes Music Store, but it is available on an excellent CD called The Roots of Afro-Cuban Jazz - Amazon.com have it Used & New from $5.00. Track listing is:

1. Machito - Stan Kenton
2. Cubano Be, Cubano Bop - Dizzy Gillespie
3. Jahbero - Tadd Dameron
4. Cu-Ba - James Moody
5. Tin Tin Deo - James Moody
6. Basheer's Dream - Kenny Dorham
7. Afrodisia - Kenny Dorham
8. Asabache - Sabu Martinez
9. Move - Art Taylor
10. Congalegra - Horace Parlan
11. Mambo Inn - Grant Green

otterhound

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
It's not on the iTunes Music Store, but it is available on an excellent CD called The Roots of Afro-Cuban Jazz - Amazon.com have it Used & New from $5.00. Track listing is:

1. Machito - Stan Kenton
2. Cubano Be, Cubano Bop - Dizzy Gillespie
3. Jahbero - Tadd Dameron
4. Cu-Ba - James Moody
5. Tin Tin Deo - James Moody
6. Basheer's Dream - Kenny Dorham
7. Afrodisia - Kenny Dorham
8. Asabache - Sabu Martinez
9. Move - Art Taylor
10. Congalegra - Horace Parlan
11. Mambo Inn - Grant Green
That sounds like a hot CD, Salv. I think I'll pick that one up.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Mambo is king.

SWTroopers said:
Salv, Tin Tin Deo is a true all time classic. James Moody's version is great, but I'm partial to Dizzy's take on it. You ever heard the version by Mike Longo at the Detroit Jazz Festival? Good stuff. One of those live recordings that really captures the energy of the crowd.

Mjr. Nick, I also recommend checking out Perez Prado. His stuff is more in the lounge end of the jazz spectrum, but it's still killer stuff. Get ready to mambo!

Marc

I just downloaded El Cumbanchero by Desi Arnez,....Now downloading Perfidia by Prado,.....should be good! :)

Salv

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Who did the quintessential, definitive, must-have version of Perfidia??? [huh]
There was this full orchestra version I'm thinking of,.....with this phat, monster, horn section. :D

Not the one you're looking for, but there's a wonderful rock steady/reggae version by Phillis Dillon from the late 1960s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy