Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I have also posted this photo in The Front Parlour, but thought it might be of interest here too - my grandfather was an early aviator who was taught to fly by Orville Wright, and he took this photo of a couple of female aviators circa 1914/15 on one of the training biplanes at the Wright Brothers Flying School - a good decade before Amelia Earhart's first flight and several decades before the first B3s or Irvins appeared - note the mouton collar on the “flight jacket” on the right, with what looks like a heavy corduroy body - plus the fact they are both in heels too!
7B2A9B33-FF79-4BC6-A96E-1150C6FB0A96.jpeg

Jimmy Shinki

Familiar Face
I may as well post some vintage gems I have or have had pass through as this thread is a wonderful repository for these gems. Two more incoming, finally a couple in black.
Unknown:
View attachment 352500
Albert Richard soon to be with @Marc mndt
View attachment 352501
Westbury
View attachment 352503
Windward
View attachment 352504
Windward property of @Marc mndt (brief layover in Chicago)
View attachment 352505
Excelled
View attachment 352506
Herc
View attachment 352507
Goodgal Air comfort
View attachment 352508
Campus
View attachment 352509
Herc (A painful error in judgement to sell, rare for me but genuine regret)
View attachment 352515

I've been saying it for awhile now and I'm trying to figure it out myself....there is just something about these old jackets. The satisfaction level is deeper for me. I must be getting sentimental. Maybe it's a desire to slow things down in my own life...watching my kid scream through adolescence at break neck speed...I dunno. Or maybe it's just b/c they are cool AF. I suspect that I am just now beginning to actually collect jackets, rather than pass them through a revolving door. Of course that could all change in 15 minutes. LOL.

Magnificent jackets. A couple of finds like those and I'd be calling off the search... Maybe...

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I like your All Weather. I think I will grab this out of the closet. It is sorta small on me and I've gotten a big bigger. Dave Sheeley re-lined and made detachable collar.

Most All Weather labeled jackets I've seen are well made working jackets.

View attachment 351242 View attachment 351241 View attachment 351243 View attachment 351244 View attachment 351240 View attachment 351245 View attachment 351246 View attachment 351247

This jacket looks great, love that police jacket

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Is this the Kurland?

This is a random jacket I was thinking about trying to flip, but I was surprised I was having so much trouble IDing a brand.

Hall American-Robert Hall. Here is a photo I saved, which looks like a Sportclad…

View attachment 352740

Yep - the "maker" is Robert Hall, but I assumed there was another company that actually made the jackets. Maybe they did things in-house? This has a different back style than the Sportclads I've seen.

I do believe Robert Hall made the jackets in-house. As Hall-American Sportswear I guess. Hall went the way of the dodo as a retailer in the 70s. My pops had some blazers made by them. Totally styling in San Juan.

Do you guys know who this maker is? It was made for an East Coast retailer. I feel like the name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't figure it out. Corduroy lining at the hem, red quilted lining, one star epaulets. Maybe Windward?

'
Lm1EePI.jpg
Robert Hall Sportswear
Edit: I should've kept scrolling LOL...I almost nabbed a Hall American HB awhile back but missed it. The jackets look good to me.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Well, to anyone interested, here's the link. $230 shipped, roughly. It doesn't look bad, but not really sure of the flip potential, so...passing for now.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have also posted this photo in The Front Parlour, but thought it might be of interest here too - my grandfather was an early aviator who was taught to fly by Orville Wright, and he took this photo of a couple of female aviators circa 1914/15 on one of the training biplanes at the Wright Brothers Flying School - a good decade before Amelia Earhart's first flight and several decades before the first B3s or Irvins appeared - note the mouton collar on the “flight jacket” on the right, with what looks like a heavy corduroy body - plus the fact they are both in heels too! View attachment 352577
incredible how brave people in the past to just sit on wooden bench under a motorized kite with no parachute or straps, knowing well if things fail they would just die, even laughing and had a good time doing it. I mean a simple thing like slightly longer zipper cuff puller fluttering around in the wind can get stuck in that steering contraption and bring end to their life just by wearing wrong jacket for the day.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Albert Richard I have been eyeballing for a bit…

View attachment 353135

This is the only Albert Richard MC style jacket I can recall seeing. That just seems odd, but may make sense. I have looked at it too. At first seeing it I was reminded of the Hercules jackets, the zipper pulls, epaulets, leather, collar shape. I've not done a side my side, but that struck me on the first look. They were in Milwaukee, Wisconsin just North of Chicago, Illinois the Home of Sears. Fried-Osterman had the capacity to produce the numbers Sears needed. I do know they made jackets for Sears around this time, early-mid 50s. This label though has the Dryback name which starts on jackets at a particular date and manufacturing locations change. They do remind me of a Hercules jacket produced in the mid-late 50s.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
incredible how brave people in the past to just sit on wooden bench under a motorized kite with no parachute or straps, knowing well if things fail they would just die, even laughing and had a good time doing it. I mean a simple thing like slightly longer zipper cuff puller fluttering around in the wind can get stuck in that steering contraption and bring end to their life just by wearing wrong jacket for the day.
Yes - I find it amazing how nonchalant folk were in those days about such things - compared with our risk-averse modern world - here is a shot from my grandad's WW1 scrapbook of one of his “slight miscalculations” as an example!
23DC9551-9F76-4942-9ED3-35C1EC2FE807.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is one of the best jackets you have in your collection.
I've found other similar ones from the same era but yours looked the best. I'm sorry but I might just have to copy it sometime down the road.
IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This is one of the best jackets you have in your collection.
Thanks, it's pretty awesome right. The condition is amazing. You won't find many sheepskin jackets from this era that survived like this one has.

I've found other similar ones from the same era but yours looked the best. I'm sorry but I might just have to copy it sometime down the road.
I'd love to see a copy of this. You should add some extra body length though. This one is only 20" lol

This Thedi design looks somewhat comparable.

4502D6AD-C084-4954-9A5B-7DB274CF0A34.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy