Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
early 40s Californian Pony Hide

upload_2021-12-18_18-52-15.jpeg

upload_2021-12-18_18-53-12.jpeg

upload_2021-12-18_18-53-47.jpeg

upload_2021-12-18_18-54-17.jpeg

Yamahana

One Too Many
I had my eye on that jacket. I love this style of front pockets in this length of jacket. Very clear mid 40s Talon main zipper, the pocket zipper looks to be replaced? The main zip is original.

The light lining for a light weight jacket. Pony is not always light weight. I think the Durable I just sold was Pony and not a windbreaker weight.

Nice, great someone here got this very cool vintage jacket.
Wow, awesome find, congrats. I thought coil zippers were a later invention, I had one on an early 80s cafe racer.

Thanks guys,
If the metal coil zipper is not original it’s pretty old and tarnished. Hard to read, one side says “Made in USA” the other I think is “Nu Way” but not completely sure. I definitely don’t know much about coil zippers.
Had this one on my watch list for awhile also. Seller started out at $425 but after dropped the price. I think I just happen to catch it when he dropped it to $210.

Yamahana

One Too Many
I had my eye on that jacket. I love this style of front pockets in this length of jacket. Very clear mid 40s Talon main zipper, the pocket zipper looks to be replaced? The main zip is original.

The light lining for a light weight jacket. Pony is not always light weight. I think the Durable I just sold was Pony and not a windbreaker weight.

Nice, great someone here got this very cool vintage jacket.
I believe the chest coil zipper is original. It’s this same Nu Zip that Spenser Stewart detailed in his Haberdashers blog in a 1930’s Knockabout wool halfbelt.
B87986DB-9723-40D7-82D6-C20ECED5F6CC.jpeg
74DFA4BA-2913-460E-A447-D1B353A1B33A.jpeg

https://vintagehaberdashers.com/tag/nu-zip-zipper/

Thanks guys,
If the metal coil zipper is not original it’s pretty old and tarnished. Hard to read, one side says “Made in USA” the other I think is “Nu Way” but not completely sure. I definitely don’t know much about coil zippers.
Had this one on my watch list for awhile also. Seller started out at $425 but after dropped the price. I think I just happen to catch it when he dropped it to $210.
That jacket is simply stunning! I didn’t see that one! The hide on yours looks far more substantial than the pony hide on my Knopf. Soon as the sun comes up I’ll post more pics. I figure I’ll get wear out of mine in early fall and spring. Just too thin for winter. Even yesterday’s low 40’s. It was chilly.

Yamahana

One Too Many
That jacket is simply stunning! I didn’t see that one! The hide on yours looks far more substantial than the pony hide on my Knopf. Soon as the sun comes up I’ll post more pics. I figure I’ll get wear out of mine in early fall and spring. Just too thin for winter. Even yesterday’s low 40’s. It was chilly.
Thanks, it is a pretty solid jacket for mid 40’s. It’s a perfectly suited weight for my AZ desert climate, I’m pretty happy with it. And lucky for me it slipped past your radar!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
@tmitchell59 You have an amazing collection of vintage jackets. Even BK's archive line doesn't have some of the styles you've got.

I have seen this Sears leather care paper a couple of times. This paper is associated with a jacket from around 1950. Very interesting take on the different types of leather.

Pony can be light and heavier, certainly not as heavy as full Horsehide.

upload_2021-12-19_12-5-29.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have seen this Sears leather care paper a couple of times. This paper is associated with a jacket from around 1950. Very interesting take on the different types of leather.

Pony can be light and heavier, certainly not as heavy as full Horsehide.

View attachment 388817
70 year old paper held up well! Looks like it was printed on thicker stock. Excellent and informative material. Much better than the modern tags and marketing stories. Thanks for taking a clear photo. If I came across one I’d frame it!

Better shots of this delicate guy. The grain is lovely. Hard to believe it was essentially suede when it arrived.
View attachment 388826 View attachment 388827
What transformation. You guys need a new thread show casing the before and after. Pimp my jacket, Trash to Treasure…

Yamahana

One Too Many
Recently returned Kit Carson from Dena @ Great Leather after zip replacement and loose stitching repairs. Have had it for awhile stuck in the back of the closet needing the zip replaced finally got around to it.
Kinda vintage moto/aviator cool vibe.
2872784F-4C8F-4003-86E2-7EF9B128447D.jpeg
807675A9-F9FF-4E9A-879E-4C5F70381CC1.jpeg
47EF8D0C-843B-481F-8B0F-5A486FE87F95.jpeg
930587FF-0948-4DB2-97D5-C017C396FD02.jpeg

Lining fairly decent just a little dirty. I’ll replace the cuff snaps with brass snaps to match the zipper

Recently returned Kit Carson from Dena @ Great Leather after zip replacement and loose stitching repairs. Have had it for awhile stuck in the back of the closet needing the zip replaced finally got around to it.
Kinda vintage moto/aviator cool vibe.
View attachment 389507 View attachment 389508 View attachment 389509 View attachment 389510
Lining fairly decent just a little dirty. I’ll replace the cuff snaps with brass snaps to match the zipper

I love the Kit Carson MC jackets. Never seen one in my size. How is the hide? High quality? Thanks.

Yamahana

One Too Many
I love the Kit Carson MC jackets. Never seen one in my size. How is the hide? High quality? Thanks.
Does have nice substantial horse hide. Lots of grain and patina. I’ll take a better pic with some outdoor lighting when I get a chance. I like this Kit Carson really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran