Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
And I, in turn, do not understand where you find such wonderful jackets :) I've been looking for GW Californian or ELMC Californian or something very similar in my size on ebay for a while now but can't find it.
What's your size?

https://grailed.app.link/2AGq74fUcnb

4CA52369-FF55-45C1-AFC6-787BC882A024.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Suppose I’m officially spamming the board with this jacket now. If you’ve seen any of my posts over the past couple years then you know this one is special to me. I have long wanted an Arcaidia. Seemed impossible. Terry sent me images of the original Campus jacket he sent to JC and I in turn had 5 Star build me two. Nice enough jackets but not quite there. To find an original, the actual jacket the Arcaidia is based on, in my size seems almost like a miracle. I’ve had one before but it was nowhere near this nice or as robust. This is a special jacket.
View attachment 398513 View attachment 398514 View attachment 398515 View attachment 398516
View attachment 398519
Not too many vintage pieces will oblige this crowd pleasing trick:
View attachment 398517 View attachment 398518
It’s quite remarkable and I am in love.
View attachment 398521 View attachment 398520
It's out of this world. Absolutely perfect

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
And I, in turn, do not understand where you find such wonderful jackets :) I've been looking for GW Californian or ELMC Californian or something very similar in my size on ebay for a while now but can't find it.

I've owned 2 ELMC Californians and they are magnificent! I've also owned several GW Californians. The ELMC stands up well with the GW.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The mysterious Blatt. Were they a specialty store? Catalogue? Or just a brand that sold through the department stores then?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
vintageleatherjackets000300000.jpg

vintageleatherjackets000300001.jpg

Check out the map pocket on the back of this Wards jacket. Could this have been the original Short cruiser jacket design that morphed into modern Filson's line up.
Anyone with a vintage jacket that has this "map pocket" feature?
This jacket is not mine, I wish it were. Just found the images. I am big Filson cruiser fan.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 399788
View attachment 399789
Check out the map pocket on the back of this Wards jacket. Could this have been the original Short cruiser jacket design that morphed into modern Filson's line up.
This jacket is not mine, I wish it were. Just found the images. I am big Filson cruiser fan.
This is a hunting jacket and that's a game pocket on the back. My Thedi has one too:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...nter-thedi-leathers.72559/page-3#post-2777063

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is a hunting jacket and that's a game pocket on the back. My Thedi has one too:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...nter-thedi-leathers.72559/page-3#post-2777063
Thanks I've seen that one before.
I was looking for intel on the original cruisers. I have A LOT of Filson cruisers. And I've done surgeries to them over the years to make them the unicorn short cruiser types.
Anyways, the current Filson leather cruiser has lost its ways and turned into a trucker. I found those images of the Montgomery Ward jackets from BK's archive page. I over looked them the first time.
The thing that makes cruisers so special is the pocket setups. The patch is also the hand warmer which is very unique, like on the leather Ward jacket. The map pocket behind is actually an access to a double layered back, also very unique in design. The chest patch is sewn together with an inside chest pocket that has pen holders...etc. No extra waste, pure engineering genius. Lots of fashion brands (which I also had) just copied the patch pocket and the map pocket closure but not the real pocket setups. This Ward looked like the OG so I thought I ask if any has this original jacket and maybe a few detail photos of the insides.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks I've seen that one before.
I was looking for intel on the original cruisers. I have A LOT of Filson cruisers. And I've done surgeries to them over the years to make them the unicorn short cruiser types.
Anyways, the current Filson leather cruiser has lost its ways and turned into a trucker. I found those images of the Montgomery Ward jackets from BK's archive page. I over looked them the first time.
The thing that makes cruisers so special is the pocket setups. The patch is also the hand warmer which is very unique, like on the leather Ward jacket. The map pocket behind is actually an access to a double layered back, also very unique in design. The chest patch is sewn together with an inside chest pocket that has pen holders...etc. No extra waste, pure engineering genius. Lots of fashion brands (which I also had) just copied the patch pocket and the map pocket closure but not the real pocket setups. This Ward looked like the OG so I thought I ask if any has this original jacket and maybe a few detail photos of the insides.
Some additional pics :

https://www.instagram.com/p/COKHnpiDEqs/?utm_medium=copy_link

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 399788
View attachment 399789

pretty amazing jacket no matter the era. Leather game jackets must be pretty rare. I don't recall seeing one.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is this what you guys meant by the "Map Pocket"?
Its too far back to use as hand warmer (at least on my Aero repro). Maybe for passenger?
On your vintage is this a lined pocket or does it provide access to the lining cavity and hence map pocket?
map pocket.jpg

Thanks @Marc mndt That is one nice vintage store.
I was hoping for a direct translation into the leather version. This is my cloth version, the back looks like one piece but it's actually two pieces made into a "pouche". This jacket design is like swiss army knife. I carry things in my back like a back pack. Not stylish but very useful.
IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I used the term map pocket instead of the more common term D pocket. It is referred to in advertising of the day to be a map pocket. Don't know who coined the word D pocket.

The pocket circled is a hand warmer pocket with a individual hand warmer pocket. The map pocket is leather inside, no lining.

I love that jacket and I know you do too. No reproduction by any maker is going to equal that jacket.

The map pocket on these is so artful, graceful.

the only difference I see the rivets on the belt loops. Perhaps a, owner added, reinforcement?

A number of the 50s HD D pocket jackets have the rivets. There were a few versions though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko