Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
One of the most popular styles for California Sportswear. Also available in other leathers and labels. This shot is from the 1941 Montgomery Wards catalog.

1692547271258.png

Same style in Calfskin leather. with earlier back design.

DSC05885.JPG
DSC05886.JPG
DSC05884.JPG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Some interesting things I found from the Tanaka book

Zip out lining was already available back then:
IMG_1789.JPG

The Ranger isn't the only Indian jacket/coat. Is this the first long Perfecto?
IMG_1803.JPG

The earliest Perfecto had the zipper on the top of the sleeve, and no zipper on hand warmers and no coin pocket and no octagon buckle.
IMG_1802.JPG

And some how brown leather jacket never became a marketing success... Is this where teacore started? Brown jackets were re-dyed and sold as black jackets? Californian / Mobster?
IMG_1797.JPG

Harley made some really cool stuff. Special spots casting. Yummy...
IMG_1791.JPG

Aviator jacket long enough to cover the butt was a selling feature. Did Laskin own the monopoly on fur stuff?
IMG_1798.JPG

And back to this very cool LASC jacket again.
IMG_1788.JPG

And @tmitchell59 The first Tanaka book from 1998 didn't have that many photos. Mostly words. 95 percent words telling his leather story, 5% pictures. If you are still thinking about publishing a book, you don't actually need that many photos, just tell your leather (hi)story. It's gonna take me a while to translate the who book using google translate. Be nice to have a English leather book. I've seen one other self published leather book from Japan. That one was too expensive but seems to have more photos.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Some interesting things I found from the Tanaka book

Zip out lining was already available back then:
View attachment 542500

The Ranger isn't the only Indian jacket/coat. Is this the first long Perfecto?
View attachment 542501

The earliest Perfecto had the zipper on the top of the sleeve, and no zipper on hand warmers and no coin pocket and no octagon buckle.
View attachment 542502

And some how brown leather jacket never became a marketing success... Is this where teacore started? Brown jackets were re-dyed and sold as black jackets? Californian / Mobster?
View attachment 542503

Harley made some really cool stuff. Special spots casting. Yummy...
View attachment 542504

Aviator jacket long enough to cover the butt was a selling feature. Did Laskin own the monopoly on fur stuff?
View attachment 542505

And back to this very cool LASC jacket again.
View attachment 542508

And @tmitchell59 The first Tanaka book from 1998 didn't have that many photos. Mostly words. 95 percent words telling his leather story, 5% pictures. If you are still thinking about publishing a book, you don't actually need that many photos, just tell your leather (hi)story. It's gonna take me a while to translate the who book using google translate. Be nice to have a English leather book. I've seen one other self published leather book from Japan. That one was too expensive but seems to have more photos.
Hi!
Which Tanaka book is this?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hi!
Which Tanaka book is this?
Hi, It’s this one:
革ジャン物語 田中凛太郎
from 1998
IMG_0445.jpeg

I think most of us have the one published by Schiffe, the hard back coffee table book that had been printed three times now I think, the Schiffe one has lots of photos, but the small Tanaka book above has some jackets so rare I’ve never seen them before, include old ads. But mostly Japanese words.

Theres also this one here:
ライダースジャケットを着る人生/別冊フリー&イージー/監修:田中凛太郎
from year 2000, a supplement to the first 1998 book. I don’t have this one, from what I research it suppose to have more photos, but could just be similar to the Schiffe one, I’m not sure. Still trying to find one for less money.
IMG_0446.jpeg

Every now and then the Lightning magazine supplements on leather jackets have some interesting vintage photos, those are a lot less in dollars than the books and bigger magazine format.

If I read the book correctly there’s a Harley Davison book on vintage out there, that covers their stuff from the early 20s to 40s, from bikes to everything sold under the brand. I’m still trying to find that one.

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
Theres also this one here:
ライダースジャケットを着る人生/別冊フリー&イージー/監修:田中凛太郎
from year 2000, a supplement to the first 1998 book. I don’t have this one, from what I research it suppose to have more photos, but could just be similar to the Schiffe one, I’m not sure. Still trying to find one for less money.
View attachment 542809
I have this book. It has lots photos of vintage US jackets(from 1930s) and UK(Lewis leathers and highwayman) jackets. Some photo were reused from the book "革ジャン物語".

Bonasera

One of the Regulars

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
How about zipper hood! This is the first time I came across a jacket that is both leather and zipper hood. I've seen wool ones before but leather is first. Taubers:

Probably one of the nicest horsehide grain evolution example too... Smooth and all types of grain in one panel.
taubers zipped hood 05.jpg

taubers zipped hood 04.jpg

taubers zipped hood 03.jpg

taubers zipped hood 02.jpg

taubers zipped hood 01.jpg

Nacho

Practically Family
If I read the book correctly there’s a Harley Davison book on vintage out there, that covers their stuff from the early 20s to 40s, from bikes to everything sold under the brand. I’m still trying to find that one.

Yeah, that's this bad boy right here. It's a hefty book, weighing at 6lbs with a large 10.5 x 14 dimension.

tempImage2PUJAZ.jpg

Only 10000 copies of this, Rin has his last copy for sale right now on eBay. But it goes for over $300CAD.

There is another one available in Japan for about $75CAD if you want to go that route.

PM me if you're interested, I'll send you the links.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's this bad boy right here. It's a hefty book, weighing at 6lbs with a large 10.5 x 14 dimension.

View attachment 542984

Only 10000 copies of this, Rin has his last copy for sale right now on eBay. But it goes for over $300CAD.

There is another one available in Japan for about $75CAD if you want to go that route.

PM me if you're interested, I'll send you the links.
Thank you! Adding it to cart now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic