Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The brown Ralphs Pugh is one of my absolute favorite jackets, period.

I agree.

DSC07218.jpg

DSC07219.jpg

DSC07220.jpg
DSC07221.jpg
DSC07222.jpg

Perfect fit for my size

Bahabp100

Practically Family
DCE498B5-DA47-42AB-B5C8-279ED8C4A547.jpeg
Currently, Schott uses model # 628 for the design of their jackets after their original 1928 D-pocket. I do not know If they used 628 for the first jacket
I have a Schott 1928 Perfecto 75th Anniversary model 1928, it’s black cowhide, zippers on top of the sleeves, half-belt, large D-pocket, with the original Perfecto box, tags and certificate. This is a really nice jacket, but it runs larger than most Schotts. The chest measures 27-1/2” from armpit to armpit.. It’s also a longer jacket, measuring 28” from the base of the collar to the bottom of the jacket. I’m not sure how this could be the original 1928 fit but I Do love it.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 311160
I have a Schott 1928 Perfecto 75th Anniversary model 1928, it’s black cowhide, zippers on top of the sleeves, half-belt, large D-pocket, with the original Perfecto box, tags and certificate. This is a really nice jacket, but it runs larger than most Schotts. The chest measures 27-1/2” from armpit to armpit.. It’s also a longer jacket, measuring 28” from the base of the collar to the bottom of the jacket. I’m not sure how this could be the original 1928 fit but I Do love it.

Nice jacket. I bring up Vintage Schott jackets looking to learn more about them. I do know they don't come up often. Get the Schott History book It has an amazing display of the company jackets. I mean non MC jackets, some crazy cool jackets.

I don't know that I have seen any of the pre-war Schott jackets for public sale. There are many wonderful Sports jackets in their earliest years. I have never seen one for sale. I don't have an answer for that. They were a fairly large maker even in the late 1930s. Perhaps they all got bought up and are in Strong hands. Interesting.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I just received this c.1940 Californian Calf Skin. I just threw it in the sunlight and it really brought out the color and true patina on this rare and beautiful hide. I bought this jacket to compare with a Sears Topline so to confirm the leather on the Sears since it is not marked. I also discovered the Sears Topline was made by California Sportswear.

This is a major Jacketology Discovery. I will provide supporting documentation. For now here is the Californian. I will do a comparison with the Sears Topline.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I’ve already posted these pics in another thread, but they belong in this thread.
Early Sears Oakbrook in steer
Windward in steer
Sportclad Penney’s in HH

View attachment 313397 View attachment 313398 View attachment 313399 View attachment 313400

I saw another Kurland labeled in Japan. Your jacket sure looks great. Nice collection. The Windward looks outstanding also.

I ask about the zipper in another thread. I have a few theories on the zippers used during this time, c.1950. Just have to find the energy to write it up.

This forum uncovered the relationship between Kurland and Sportclad. Through posting on Lawrence it is obvious Kurland had easy access to the best leather tanning and could have had their choice of leather. Perhaps they even tanned their own hides.

I have found that many jackets made around 1950 had black painted zippers and metal parts. I guess this had something to do with using some black finish on a completed jacket. Like they sprayed the jacket.

My jacket does not have a blacked zipper, but one very possible from 1947. Square ended pull, Talon down the middle of the stop.

Your jacket zipper has a very interesting out of date feature. Talon written down the pull. This seemingly disappeared in the early 40s. The tongue itself looks like 50s and also looks to have been blackened.

The Sportclad label ends around 1950 and changes to the JC Penney label. The wool lining also transitions to the nylon quilt lining.

It may be that Kurland's contract ended and the JC Penney labeled jackets were made by another maker.

I will have to find some pics of 50s Penney's MC jacket pictures.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here is my growing favorite. California Sportswear Californian, Selected Steerhide California Chrome Tanned.

This is a wonderful light weight jacket that isn't even broken in. I'm dating it around 1952. Has such a nice sheen and those gold colored zippers are delightful

slide show

dannyk

One Too Many
his forum uncovered the relationship between Kurland and Sportclad. Through posting on Lawrence it is obvious Kurland had easy access to the best leather tanning and could have had their choice of leather. Perhaps they even tanned their own hides

I forgot about Lawrence. Someone on this forum had a fantastic looking one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy