Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
here is the Kurland/Sportclad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294014457599?boolp=5&ul_noapp=true

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

here is is on yahoo. marked a size 42. Looks like the zipper has been painted and worn off.

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g480408810?conversionType=search_suggest

Thanks. Very reasonable price for this jacket. I thought the $1,000 wasn’t out of line. It’s that nice a jacket. Extremely well built and beautiful leather. The seams on mine still are rock solid.

I thought my zippers were just full of gunk or dirty. But it makes sense that they were blacked out. I considered cleaning them a bit but now I think I will leave them be.

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
Here is my growing favorite. California Sportswear Californian, Selected Steerhide California Chrome Tanned.

This is a wonderful light weight jacket that isn't even broken in. I'm dating it around 1952. Has such a nice sheen and those gold colored zippers are delightful

slide show

Love this one. Short but excellently put together and proportioned. A stunner. Dibs if you move it on! Haha!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I just posted this slide show.

This really highlights and demonstrates a very work oriented design. Ralphs-Pugh did quite a variety of jackets dating back to the mid 1930s. Like all maker in their day they were purpose oriented. Many surviving examples are MC or Police jackets. Few Civilian work jackets like this show up. They did offer a traditional half-belt around this same time.

This Style is perfect for sitting in a cab of a Truck in the 1950s.

This is among my very favorite Jackets. I guess it at early 50s, as I just don't know the end date for RP jackets. This is outstanding Horsehide Leather in hand. The color is outstanding in all lights, really shows in full Sun. It is a Style which works for me. A great jacket for running errands.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Wind...-/174706113326?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

S
mall Windward. @tmitchell59 the lining and interior looks similar to the Sportclad. I don’t recall seeing a Windward like this.

View attachment 321479

I was about to post this Windward. I have never seen this configuration; 40s Windward label, wool lined. Very much in the look of the post war Sportclads. I would love to look at some Wards catalogs. The Sears catalogs show no MC dedicated jackets prior to 1948, Sears jacket are well documented, not so with JC Penney or Wards. I have MC styled Wards jackets, I thought were around this same time.

I hijacked this comment. This is an interesting link.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 321555 View attachment 321556 View attachment 321557 View attachment 321558 View attachment 321559

Someone shared this one on Facebook in the Vintage Workwear group. Found in a New Mexico state.

The Levi branded leather jackets show up from time to time. Usually so expensive. This looks to be capeskin in a very nice plain aviator style. Ken Calder told me Levi made some of the leather jackets and others were contracted out. Many of the Levi leathers have nice flannel linings. I'm not up on Levi labels, but I have not seen this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy