Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

AHP91

Practically Family
3E8D05F6-9A88-4CFE-AB21-E53D0657D0DD.jpeg
ACD66B85-75E6-4489-B46B-E703DE396EFA.jpeg
940B6259-11F2-43A8-82F2-A594ACB529BF.jpeg
F482AB83-4B6F-4670-A6B0-2717A7D4D70D.jpeg
029355EE-DC9C-4628-B2D3-03E43B058354.jpeg

AHP91

Practically Family
I have mixed feelings about pigskin, somewhere between these two:
Nauseas GIFs | Tenor

Fear Joaquin Phoenix GIF - Fear Joaquin Phoenix Scared ...

It take a a little while for some to see the light. But for real, thought it might be pig skin. Makes me feel a little bad, pigs are intelligent creatures.

It take a a little while for some to see the light. But for real, thought it might be pig skin. Makes me feel a little bad, pigs are intelligent creatures.
The hide must be what Freddy Kruegers ball sack looks like...particularly in this mottled tan, maybe after he mows the lawn on 100 degree day in late July. I can accept almost anything....except pigskin. The jacket in question is a great design struck down tragically by that...."hide".

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks like rough out suede?

The Lost Angeles Sportogs Company operated in the pre-war years. A few things lead me to say this.
First, their address had the old two digit zip code (1943).
Second, when I googled that address the new building was put in that address in 1946, that's either when they moved or closed shop...
A funny coincidence is that the building across looks like a new building, but resembles the building in their brand tag.

Very interesting little brand that had one of the most wild vintage jacket design I've seen. Very interesting.

sunsuedes.jpg

los angele sportogs address.jpg

across the street from old LASTC.jpg

They used the rectangle sunrise Talon in their little wild jacket. So I'd say they're pre war for sure.
Image10.jpg

Image13.jpg

And what do you think was imported? The lining? And they way they sew the brand tag all the way to the top of the lining.
Image11.jpg

Imported Ca(lf leather)? This jacket was sold on Etsy no pics of the reverse side of the tag... Unfortunately...

Image8.jpg

I do have a LA sportog View attachment 543433 View attachment 543434 s. This jacket should be in a Western mo View attachment 543435 vie! No idea of the age.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Interesting.

Found a Wolverine ad from the 50s. Looks like pigskin did make a comeback then, not sure how the consumers reacted to the marketing campaign then. Any older guys here remember having a pair of pigskin boots?
pigskin 50s ad.jpg

It's interesting to see pigskins had its ups and downs and up again? The pigskin grain is definitely a bit too wild for jackets for me. But I can see it being a good material for smaller leather goods.

Just want to add to what you’ve posted there, Thomas.

View attachment 543482

“…but pigskin became an unpopular material in the U.S. leather garment industry after the 1930s….”

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars

The Lost Angeles Sportogs Company operated in the pre-war years. A few things lead me to say this.
Second, when I googled that address the new building was put in that address in 1946, that's either when they moved or closed shop...
A funny coincidence is that the building across looks like a new building, but resembles the building in their brand tag.

Very interesting little brand that had one of the most wild vintage jacket design I've seen. Very interesting.

View attachment 543469
View attachment 543470
View attachment 543471

They used the rectangle sunrise Talon in their little wild jacket. So I'd say they're pre war for sure.
View attachment 543473
View attachment 543474

And what do you think was imported? The lining? And they way they sew the brand tag all the way to the top of the lining.
View attachment 543476
Imported Ca(lf leather)? This jacket was sold on Etsy no pics of the reverse side of the tag... Unfortunately...

View attachment 543477

@Canuck Panda thanks for the great insights about this brand. I hope to find one someday. The jackets I've seen with their label are unique and seem to be rare.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Nice background info. The leather tag is Cabretta leather, goatskin. Their jackets are scarce. They may well have ended by 1946. The sunrise Talon is pre-war

View attachment 543469
View attachment 543470
View attachment 543471

View attachment 543473
View attachment 543474

View attachment 543476

View attachment 543477

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24