Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Perfecto Fit question

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
Gents,
Sorry about the basic question but here goes anyway....I have a vintage Perfecto style jacket that I was going to sell because I thought it too small. I was showing it to a friend who said I should keep it because it didn't look too bad. The shoulders and chest are fine but where I think it too small is in the length. It stops right at the top of my pants. I don't have a belly so it may just be that I've never owned a vintage jacket before. I've seen several pictures and it seems that all of them stop like at mid belt level. I know fashion as it is there might not be any hard fast rules but I also don't want to look like a dork.

Can anyone comment specifically on how long on the torso a Perfecto style jacket should come down to?

Edward

Bartender
Photos would really be helpful here, but as a general rule.... IME, vintage jackets of this sort do seem to be shorter than modern equivalents. One reason is that the average trouser waist these days is significantly lower than would have been the case back in the day, thus a jacket designed for a much higher waisted trouser will look "short". I also suspect that the much more upright seated position on most vintage motorcycles meant that jacket didn't need to be as long to keep your back covered (plus speeds were lower, so fewer drafts, and then there was the fact that, as I understand it, separate kidney protector belts were also common...).

My Perfecto style is an Aero, and when I wear it with jeans, it fastens closed and sits right on top of them. I like the look (the double belt 'layer' looks cool to me), YMMV.

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
Photos would really be helpful here, but as a general rule.... IME, vintage jackets of this sort do seem to be shorter than modern equivalents. One reason is that the average trouser waist these days is significantly lower than would have been the case back in the day, thus a jacket designed for a much higher waisted trouser will look "short". I also suspect that the much more upright seated position on most vintage motorcycles meant that jacket didn't need to be as long to keep your back covered (plus speeds were lower, so fewer drafts, and then there was the fact that, as I understand it, separate kidney protector belts were also common...).

My Perfecto style is an Aero, and when I wear it with jeans, it fastens closed and sits right on top of them. I like the look (the double belt 'layer' looks cool to me), YMMV.
ahhhh thank you this answers my question.....so if your new aero gives the double belt look a vintage one doing the same won't be bad. Awesome!

Faster

New in Town
Gents,
Sorry about the basic question but here goes anyway....I have a vintage Perfecto style jacket that I was going to sell because I thought it too small. I was showing it to a friend who said I should keep it because it didn't look too bad. The shoulders and chest are fine but where I think it too small is in the length. It stops right at the top of my pants. I don't have a belly so it may just be that I've never owned a vintage jacket before. I've seen several pictures and it seems that all of them stop like at mid belt level. I know fashion as it is there might not be any hard fast rules but I also don't want to look like a dork.

Can anyone comment specifically on how long on the torso a Perfecto style jacket should come down to?

A lot of those photos can be very deceiving because those guys in the photos are probably around 5'6" to 5'8". If you're 5'9" or over and your Perfecto is truly vintage, then the length is going to be about 24" and rest right at the top of your jeans, if not even higher. If it fits in the chest and the shoulders, then you're probably good in terms of size. You might not be okay with the length of the jacket though--it's typical for vintage jackets to be this short, if not even shorter.

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
A lot of those photos can be very deceiving because those guys in the photos are probably around 5'6" to 5'8". If you're 5'9" or over and your Perfecto is truly vintage, then the length is going to be about 24" and rest right at the top of your jeans, if not even higher. If it fits in the chest and the shoulders, then you're probably good in terms of size. You might not be okay with the length of the jacket though--it's typical for vintage jackets to be this short, if not even shorter.
I'm 6 foot tall and just wanted to make sure that in terms of fit the jacket sitting at the top of the pants didn't give me the "britney spears showing her belly button" look.

Edward

Bartender
Varies..... I like my leathers to be reasonably neat fitting - if it's cold enough for a sweater, I want to be in either a shearling flight jacket or a long wool overcoat. My Aero tends to be worn with either just a T shirt under it, or a checked cotton shirt of some sort. This is one jacket that I tend only to wear in a very casual manner - jeans only. Never been one I felt "worked" dressed up with a tie and a dress hat (maybe one in brown..... I certainly wear my cordovan Bootlegger, which isn't a million miles away in style, with collar and tie...).

FWIW, here are a couple of photos of my Aero MC jacket being worn:

IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0723.jpg

IMAG0724.jpg

Those are Carhartt work jeans; they're a little loose on the waist so they do slide down a bit. The jacket's still breaking in, though as with most any jacket of this style I've had, I do tend to prefer wearing it open. These photos were taken when I was on my way out to go and see The Damned last November.

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
great thanks...that actually helps my fit question to as I see yours ends slightly above or right at the top of your jeans. I agree I like the look of it unbuttoned much better. Thanks again.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Nah, more Joey Ramone.... ;)

+1

I love the perfecto extra tight. IMO all biker jackets should be fitted.

But at 6" you're always gonna have problems with true vintage cut jackets. You would probably need a 44 (or even 46) to get the desired length, but at the cost of wide as hell shoulders and chest!

I say if you're uncomfortable about the fit now, you always will be... Sell it, and save up for a new custom cut one. Can't tell ya how many used jackets I've gone thru, and time I've waisted over the years trying to score the perfect leather jacket- wife thinks in nuts!!!!

Edward

Bartender
vintage or not, that jacket in pics is too short.

It's the jeans are the problem, really.... they're looser on the waist than the jacket is, and so the damn things keep riding down.

(obviously nothing to do with me carrying an extra saddlebag round the middle..... ;) )

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Where's your bellybutton? a MC jacket should end below bellybutton, lets say about dutybelts width. And does the back extension reach properly below your lower back to very upperparts of your buttocks? if not, too short. (for posing might be good....)

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
A Schott Perfecto is a very short jacket, it is meant so that when you sit on the bike your hips don't hit the jacket and force it up into your throat. I've had loose, long, short, and tight motorcycle jackets. And the only proper fit of an MC jacket is form fit and short or it's just plain uncomfortable to ride in. A long Perfecto jacket would look very odd and not be very functional.

I think sometimes it's lost on this site (not by everyone, but some people) that MC jackets are actually meant to be worn seated on the bike and protect in a slide (loose jackets don't protect in slides) and not just to walk around in and look cool :)

I LOVED my Perfecto but after 10 years it shrunk on me and frankly I just can't pull one off anymore, great riding jacket though, most comfortable riding jacket I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred