Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage products or any ideas on evening out skin texture

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
I have very active skin and very large pores and im sure this is posted else where and i did search but any thoughts or ideas on old techniques that are not so expensive or laser related hehe. I just have a very rough texture to my face. I want a peaches and cream complexion not a lite-brite looking one. HELP. Suggestions?

The Shirt

Practically Family
I can have rather large pores as well. I like to use the Boots Pamper and Peel mask. For some reason it moisturizes/smoothes me out very well and my pores are noticeably smaller for a couple of days. I have combo skin with most of my pore issues on my nose and central cheeks. I get a lot of compliments on my fair even skin nowadays. It's a newer product though and I know you were asking for traditional techniques.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I know its really wrong but I love those Biore deep cleansing pore strips. I used them twice a week (when I could afford them) and then followed with a witchhazel toner to close the pores. It really did make a difference and was grossly satisfying.

I find exfoliating with baking soda once a week works wonders too.

OCM didn't work for me in the slightest, all it did was make my pillow smell from the traces of oil and the entire surface of my bathroom slippery. Though this was funny as the flatmates horrible girlfriend nearly took a tumble in the oil filmed shower. lol :eusa_doh:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Witch hazel is a favorite among Loungers looking for a good, traditional toner -- but if you don't care for the smell, another old-style option is a 50-50 mix of water and cider vinegar, applied morning and night with a cotton ball.

I second the idea of a baking soda scrub -- refreshing and very very inexpensive.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
You can also make an aspirin mask/scrub. Get uncoated aspirin, either crush it or add a bit of water and wait for it to begin to dissolve. Make a paste and either apply it as a mask till it dries or do a gentle scrub. Some people experiment and add honey or yogurt. Super cheap, works amazingly well.

My other recommendation is a lactic acid preparation from Makeup Artists Choice. Buy the lowest strength. Read the instructions and DO NOT leave it on too long (I leave it on one to 1.5 minutes -- I have sensitive skin). The sample size lasts through a large number of applications.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can also do the aspirin scrub with honey. Dissolve the aspirin, mix with honey, scrub away!

But really, try Proactiv. Some malls stock it if you don't wanna sign up online.

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
Thanks Ladies

Well I'm going to try the aspirin mask cause I have a giant bottle of it. I will post replays on how it works for me!

Proactiv does zero for me. I tried for a whole year and nothing. I stick to all natural stuff and now im working on undoing what my acne did to me that bast&$d!

Miss 1929

I have taken to putting a few aspirin in my witch hazel, and seen some pretty radical improvement! Cuts down on redness and has BHA so it helps with the blackheads.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
JezebelDiVine said:
Well I'm going to try the aspirin mask cause I have a giant bottle of it. I will post replays on how it works for me!

Proactiv does zero for me. I tried for a whole year and nothing. I stick to all natural stuff and now im working on undoing what my acne did to me that bast&$d!

I have had the same issue as you.. had very active skin and now im trying to even it all out cause these scar marks are not pretty :(

I started using a line called Organique by Himalaya.. they sell it at WF and Sprouts...

I have been using it for about.. 2 months.. and my face is almost back to normal (even skin tone).. and .. NO BREAKOUTS.. thats a PLus for me.

I use the Neem & Turmeric Face Wash and Nourishing Night Cream
The best part is the line is not expensive.. check it out.. just wanted to pass on the word to a fellow friend who is fighting the same battle :)

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
I have had the same issue as you.. had very active skin and now im trying to even it all out cause these scar marks are not pretty :(

I really evened my tone out by using a homemade vitamin C serum. Very easy and very inexpensive. I use a little less glycerin than this recipe, and I use orange blossom water because it is distilled and smells good. You can buy the powered vit C from Trader Joes, and the glycerin from Whole Foods or such. It makes a remarkable difference, I had splotchiness from preganacy and the residue of older skin problems. The layout for this was like $15, and the ingredients last forever. AND you'll have some orange blossom water to make cocktails with!

Miss 1929

jetgirl said:
I really evened my tone out by using a homemade vitamin C serum. Very easy and very inexpensive. I use a little less glycerin than this recipe, and I use orange blossom water because it is distilled and smells good. You can buy the powered vit C from Trader Joes, and the glycerin from Whole Foods or such. It makes a remarkable difference, I had splotchiness from preganacy and the residue of older skin problems. The layout for this was like $15, and the ingredients last forever. AND you'll have some orange blossom water to make cocktails with!
So where's the recipe?

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
Lela Viavonie THANKS for the info

LelaViavonie said:

I started using a line called Organique by Himalaya.. they sell it at WF and Sprouts...

I have been using it for about.. 2 months.. and my face is almost back to normal (even skin tone).. and .. NO BREAKOUTS.. thats a PLus for me.

I use the Neem & Turmeric Face Wash and Nourishing Night Cream
The best part is the line is not expensive.. check it out.. just wanted to pass on the word to a fellow friend who is fighting the same battle :)

I still struggle with my active skin. Especailly on my back. At least my face is about 90% under control. I will check that stuff out!

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
Thank you too jetgirl

jetgirl said:

Im all for homemade! I used to make and sell my own body stuff but had to temp close becuase of money issues. So im alllllllll fooorrrrr homemade. I think it is fun too! I will also try this suggestion out! Thanks again

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
HOW DO YOU MAKE ORANGE BLOSSOM WATER?

jetgirl said:

JETGIRL: how to you make orange blossom water?

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I have tried Vitamin C serum, both homemade and store-bougth versions. The homemade version was by a lovely lady who made wonderful bath, body and skincare products.

I broke out horribly from the VC serums. I'm not sure if it was just a purging period that I could not bare to get through or if my skin cannot tolerate VC.
At any rate, I gave up on Vitamin C serums.

I've always wanted to try the aspirin mask. How simple and cheap!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
JezebelDiVine said:
JETGIRL: how to you make orange blossom water?

Sorry! I just saw this. I buy the orange blossom water. It is just distilled water and orange blossom essence (isn't that neroli?) though. I found it in some grocery store. Rose water might be nice too.

Anyone try the Vit C serum? Any feedback? I love it. Maybe it could break someone out who doesn't respond well to glycerin.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Orange Blossom Water and Rose Water are often used in Middle Eastern dishes. If you go to any Middle Eastern grocer, or even in the ethnic sections of larger chain grocers, you should be able to find it.

I used Rose Water in a rice dish. I remember originally purchasing it to use as a facial spritz, but ended up whipping up some nice basmati in the process :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy