Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage recipies

Decodence

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
I have made "Lime Pie" and there is a flavor element missing without the Key.

Right. It is worth the effort to secure Key Limes for this pie.

There is a company that sells bottled Key Lime juice. Has anyone tried it?
I assume you are speaking of Rose's lime juice. Many, many recipes call for it, and it is a staple behind any stocked bar, but for this man, nothing beats fresh-squeezed lime or key lime juice.

CeceliaRose

New in Town
Decodence said:
I assume you are speaking of Rose's lime juice. Many, many recipes call for it, and it is a staple behind any stocked bar, but for this man, nothing beats fresh-squeezed lime or key lime juice.

Actually, I used something called "Nellie and Joe's Famous Key Lime Juice". Found it in the juice aisle of the grocery store, but not stocked with the Rose's Lime Juice or any of the mixed drink mixes.

http://www.keylimejuice.com/

:)

Decodence

A-List Customer
CeceliaRose said:
Actually, I used something called "Nellie and Joe's Famous Key Lime Juice". Found it in the juice aisle of the grocery store, but not stocked with the Rose's Lime Juice or any of the mixed drink mixes.

http://www.keylimejuice.com/

:)
Hmm...I wonder if that is where they stick the grenadine at my store because I wasn't able to find it next to the liquor (or the bitters at all, but I just went to a different store for those). I bet that would go better than rose's anyway as rose's is sweetened, which kind of detracts from the whole key lime thing.

CeceliaRose

New in Town
Decodence said:
Hmm...I wonder if that is where they stick the grenadine at my store because I wasn't able to find it next to the liquor (or the bitters at all, but I just went to a different store for those). I bet that would go better than rose's anyway as rose's is sweetened, which kind of detracts from the whole key lime thing.

I found the grenadine and the Rose's lime juice with the mixed drinks mixes (my grocery store doesn't sell hard liquor, just beer and wine, which is in a different aisle), but the key lime juice was in a different spot, next to the "clam juice" (ick). :)

CassD

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know if key lime juice of any variety is available in the UK? I would really like to try the key lime pie recipe as I haven't had key lime pie since we left the States.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I promised some pickle recipes over in the victory garden thread, so here ya go:
(It should be noted that I haven't tried these myself)

Icicle Cucumber Pickles
From Mrs. Hugh T. Lefter, Chapel Hill, NC

Cucumbers to fill 3 qt jars
Ice water to cover cucumbers
1 qt vinegar
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c salt
1 T mustard seed

Scrub cucumbers but do not peel them. Quarter them lengthwise and soak them in ice water 3-5 hours. Add ice as necessary to keep the water icy cold. Drain and pack cucumbers in 3 sterilized quart jars. Combine, vinegar, sugar, salt, and mustard seed in a saucepan. Heat to a rolling boil and pour immediately over cucumbers. Seal. They will be ready to serve in 1 month.

Arkansas Bread and Butter Pickle
From Mrs. H.W. Oldham, Eureka Springs AR

4 qt cucumbers, sliced
2 qt onions peeled and sliced
1/2 c salt
2 c vinegar
2 c sugar
2 T each: mustard seed, celery seed, tumeric

Combine sliced cucumbers and onions and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 2 hours. In a saucepan combine the vinegar and the remain ingredients and heat to the boiling point. Drain the vegetables, add them to the boiling vinegar mixture. Boil for 5 minutes, pour into jars and seal. Makes about 4 quarts.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Ok, a couple more (haven't tried these either)

Pickled Red Sweet Peppers

1 dozen red sweet peppers
4 c distilled white vinegar
2 c sugar

Wash and seed peppers and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Boil vinegar and sugar together for 5 minutes. While the mixture is boiling, pack the peppers into sterilized jars. Cover peppers with vinegar solution filling to withing 1/2 inch of the tops of the jars. Seal, and process immediately in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. About 3 pints.

Pickled Eggplant

1 large eggplant
lemon juice
1 qt vinegar
1 c sugar
1 1/2 T mixed pickling spices in cloth bag

Wash and peel eggplant. Cut into 1 inch strips or slices. Soak for 3 hours in lightly salted water. Drain and let stand in fresh cold water for 3 hours, adding a little lemon juice to avoid discoloration. Pack the eggpland itn sterilized jars. Combine remaining ingredients in kettle. Bring to boild and boil for 5 minutes. Discard spice bag. Pout the hot liquid ofver the eggplant and seal immediately. The eggplant shoule be ready in 2 weks.

And for fun a couple odd fruit ones:

Pickled Cantaloupe

2 lbs sliced cantaloupe (final weight- after trimming etc)
1 pt white vinegar or enough to cover fruit
1 lb sugar
1 cinnamon stick- broken
2 T whole mixed pickling spices

Prepare melon and marinate in the vinegar overnight. Next morning drain off the vinegar and combine it with the other ingredients. Boil the vinegar mixture until if forms a clear syrup. Drop in the melon and cook for about 1/2 hour or until the melon is transparent. Pack in hot sterilized jars and seal.

Pumpkin Pickle

2 1/2 lb fresh pumpkin pared and cut into cubes of desired size
1 qt vinegar
2 lbs sugar
1 T salt
1 t each: whole cloves and whole allspice
1 red pepper pod broken
1 T ground cinnamon

Put pumpkin cubes in a large kettle. In a large saucepan combine vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices. Place over medium heat and boil for 5 minutes. Pour the hot syrup over the pumpkin and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook slowly until the pumpkin is clear and tender. Lift out the pumpkin and pack into hot sterilized jars. Pour the hot syrup in to fill the jars. Seal immediately. Makes about 2 1/2 pints.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
great new blog

Just wanted to give y'all a heads up about this new vintage cooking blog... A Vintage Chef. The lady loves vintage, and vintage recipes... which she adapts to be gluten free. If you love seeing vintage recipes, read it, and if any of you are gluten-intolerant, definitely check it out!

Mirinda

New in Town
JupitersDarling said:
Just wanted to give y'all a heads up about this new vintage cooking blog... A Vintage Chef. The lady loves vintage, and vintage recipes... which she adapts to be gluten free. If you love seeing vintage recipes, read it, and if any of you are gluten-intolerant, definitely check it out!

Just wanted to say thanks for the link -I like to cook home-made food from scratch and I love traditional recipes!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
1930s Recipe.- Cream Cake. (with chocolate filling :D )

3524117978_6ff30b2c38_b.jpg

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Hawthorn Jelly

Hello. As you can see from my post count, I'm very much new in town (don't even own a fedora yet :eek: )

This thread was what made me sign up, so here's a contribution:

Hawthorn Jelly
Ingredients

• 2lbs haws
  • 2lbs crab apples
  • 1 lemon
  • Sugar

Method
  1. Place the haws in a pan (no laughing at the back!) and cover with water. Simmer until soft then strain overnight using a jelly bag.
  2. Place the apples and lemon juice in a pan, only just covering with water. Simmer until soft then strain overnight using a jelly bag.
  3. Mix the juices with 1lb of sugar for each pint of liquid.
  4. Heat over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved (stirring continuously).
  5. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until setting point is reached.
  6. Pour into jars.

This is wonderful if left to mature for 2-3 months. A bit like medlar jelly, only better.

I'm just typing up some recipes whilst making a batch of Rowan Jelly - not tried it before but I'm using the same basic recipe. Even this late in the year there are still plenty of berries on the trees, made sloe gin last week.

Sloe in name, slow in nature as apparently I have to wait at least 6 months...

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Sorry, it's Crataegus monogyna according to a Google search.

They are all over England, mainly used in hedgerows - the branches are really close together and they have thorns.

I think they are also common in Europe and maybe Africa.

EDIT:

Wikipedia also says this:

Culinary use
The fruits of the species Crataegus pinnatifida (Chinese Hawthorn) are tart, bright red, and resemble small crabapple fruits. They are used to make many kinds of Chinese snacks, including haw flakes and tanghulu (糖葫芦). The fruits, which are called shānzhā (山楂) in Chinese, are also used to produce jams, jellies, juices, alcoholic beverages, and other drinks. In South Korea, a liquor called sansachun (산사춘) is made from the fruits.

The fruits of Crataegus pubescens are known in Mexico as tejocotes and are eaten raw, cooked, or in jam during the winter months. They are stuffed in the piñatas broken during the traditional pre-Christmas parties known as posadas. They are also cooked with other fruits to prepare a Christmas punch. The mixture of tejocote paste, sugar, and chili powder produces a popular Mexican candy called rielitos, which is manufactured by several brands.

In the southern United States fruits of three native species are collectively known as mayhaws and are made into jellies which are considered a great delicacy. On Manitoulin Island in Canada, some red-fruited species are called hawberries. They are common there thanks to its distinctive alkaline soil. During the pioneer days, white settlers ate these berries during the winter as the only remaining food supply. People born on the island are now called "haweaters".

The leaves are edible and, if picked in spring when still young, they are tender enough to be used in salads.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Osgood Pie

I have a collection of vintage cookbooks, from the 1890s through the late 1940s. Here is one of my favorites, even though it is from a new book. It is from our church cookbook, published in 2008.

The lady who submitted this recipe was born in 1905. Here is her notation: "This was my mother's recipe in my 'bride's cookobook' in 1936! This was my favorite pie when I was a girl. When I went to college, my mother would always find a way to send me an Osgood pie. Mother's are like that, aren't they?"

Charming!

Here is the recipe, typed exactly as it is written. For the "spices" I like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice. Good nuts to use are walnuts or pecans. But, whatever you have on hand is fine.

1 c. granulated sugar
2 T. butter, melted
1 T. distilled white vinegar
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped nuts
2 eggs, well beaten
spices to taste
1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine sugar and melted butter. Add vinegar, spices, raisins, nuts, and eggs. Pour into pie shell and bake until set.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
here's some picture spam of my wartime cookbook (i hope it's okay for this thread...??)

2344100081_bc8a009e5b.jpg

the dedication...it's a rather nice one, actually...

2344100027_2c1a5b1923_o.jpg

I have this book, as well. Really neat! I have several of the American Woman and Joy of Cooking wartime victory editions, but this is the only one with the MacArthur pages. Neat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran