Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage repo fabric in the U.K

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Hi there ladies,
I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on where to source decent fabric ......The U.S is spoilt for choice it would seem (must be all the quilting) and its cheap there to boot.

I usually use crepe for 30s patterns, or maybe a very sheer wispy printed fabric. If you are desperate, most fabric stores have some cotton broadcloth prints for quilting that could work fairly well, just a little stiff to be accurate. You'll have to choose wisely, so you don't end up with an 1800s calico.http://www.appalachianneedleworks.com/30sfabricpackages.htm

The above site is just the type of thing i'm after....i was drooling when i saw the fabric on there.....I adore those floral patterns...I manage to get bits and pieces here and there but it would be great to find somewhere like this in the u.k. So when you get a new pattern you can have some groovey choice and not just what you can get your hands on. Which granted at times can be wonderful...but i am finding myself doing more and more sewing...but not the fabric i want at the price i want (cheap)...Any suggestions:rolleyes:

Marq

Familiar Face
Hi gal i'm always searching for fabrics and patterns as i have a lot of stuff made.Most of my fabric i get from the states sent over.Vintage fabric types you want are as follows.Crepe (Sari shops have a real nice range)Faille,Challise.Rayon(Hawaiian) and Hawaiian crepe rayon.Just recently i mean last week i took the chance and bought some repro crepe rayon from the states for my wife and i have to say 3 .2 metres in the end cost me $34 or £17 it is fabulous the drape and the feel and colour are exactly how it was.The other outlet is Ebay i have bought many vintage fabric from Brit ebay.If you are going for an American look then i would reccomend shopping online in America as there are lots of Fabric reproduced from the time ,I'm afraid over here the Period was a little brown and even the florals were boring.If you need help for fabric places email me at paul.louise@ntlworld.com and i can probably help.............Paul

Marq

Familiar Face
Sorry forgot to say that $34 was inclusive of postage which was $10 to the uk.The Crepe was expensive at about $7.95 a yard but really really well worth it.The Crepe would have been $10 but was on sale.If you look at www.fashionfabricsclub.com they have literally thousands from about $4.50 a yard now thats only£2.25 and you won't get taxed on it either........Paul

brizzdeco

New in Town
it is all about the trawl!

hey cheesecakecutie - hows the fabric hunting going?
im with marq...i find the majority of my fabrics on american ebay...ahh ebay, sweet ebay!
and kudos to marq for the fashion fabrics club link - they have an incredible range, and really reasonably priced in my opinion...specially the silks.
the aunt grace repro range of prints are wonderful, but as they are all printed on that cotton broadcloth base it makes them suitable only for certain projects...which is a pest cos the range of prints and colors are to die for.
:)

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Marq said:
Sorry forgot to say that $34 was inclusive of postage which was $10 to the uk.The Crepe was expensive at about $7.95 a yard but really really well worth it.The Crepe would have been $10 but was on sale.If you look at www.fashionfabricsclub.com they have literally thousands from about $4.50 a yard now thats only£2.25 and you won't get taxed on it either........Paul

Hello Marq, have you ever ordered at fashionfabricsclub? I think they don't ship to Europe?!

Marq

Familiar Face
they told me they would ship to the uk but if not i can get stuff here via a friend in the states who ships hereregularly and charges very little for it ..................Paul

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Yum yum guys thanks alot...that has given me lots to work with....The broad cloth would be fine for full skirt dresses...just not the floaty kind right guys???

I am going to have to some get me some of that broadcloth but from here.It is alot cheaper than from some other sites and she ships to the u.k
http://www.appalachianneedleworks.com/30sfabricpackages.htm
I just looks stunning all the granny stuff i love. If only they did these prints in silks...although the link you sent marq is fabulous and they do have some great designs and the silks are SO CHEAP compared to here....Thanks alot all you lovely people xxxxx mhaw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran