Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Seal fur jacket from estate auction

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This would've been impractical in my olde Tennessee home, but now I am living in Saskatoon, I had to get it. In fact in SK it's a three-season jacket. I think it was a woman's (?) jacket but at 40" chest & 25" stated length, I think it'll work... it's kinda a gender neutral garment...
The last time I saw a seal jacket was in Charleston SC over 40 yrs. ago. Up here, it'll rock!!!

upload_2020-8-8_14-1-19.png

m_5eb412f6d737fd5998c5b804.jpg

upload_2020-8-8_14-2-6.png

upload_2020-8-8_14-2-27.png

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
This would've been impractical in my olde Tennessee home, but now I am living in Saskatoon, I had to get it. In fact in SK it's a three-season jacket. I think it was a woman's (?) jacket but at 40" chest & 25" stated length, I think it'll work... it's kinda a gender neutral garment...
The last time I saw a seal jacket was in Charleston SC over 40 yrs. ago. Up here, it'll rock!!!

View attachment 252749

View attachment 252746

View attachment 252750
View attachment 252751
Whoa Rick!!
Glad to see you’re still around. Pretty cool jacket too.
I always think of you when i see someone post your gorgeous Bulldogger.
Tn to SK....wow. Retired or just changing up the critters you Vet??
Be well.
Bowen

Colin G

One Too Many
Three season jacket? I am just down the hall in Regina and I would call that a winter only jacket but I have lived here my whole life. Tennessee to Sask must be a shock. The wind here is a real bummer.

Interesting piece. I have been on the hunt for some real Inuk-made sealskin mitts. They'd be great for shovelling the driveway in the winter when it gets below - 20.

Rick Blaine

Three season jacket? I am just down the hall in Regina and I would call that a winter only jacket but I have lived here my whole life. Tennessee to Sask must be a shock. The wind here is a real bummer.

Interesting piece. I have been on the hunt for some real Inuk-made sealskin mitts. They'd be great for shovelling the driveway in the winter when it gets below - 20.

Yeah buddy.
My Calgary born wife gives me hell for wearing flannel lined jeans into spring! The wind IS something to behold, tho.
I would LOVE some mitts and boots as well. I am told there is nothing warmer.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
When I went sailing around the Caribbean last year, a good chunk of expats were retired Canucks. Apparently even they have their limits...:). Nice jacket.

Colin G

One Too Many
Yeah buddy.
My Calgary born wife gives me hell for wearing flannel lined jeans into spring! The wind IS something to behold, tho.
I would LOVE some mitts and boots as well. I am told there is nothing warmer.

I cycle a lot, almost everyday and the wind here is my nemesis. Around noon everyday it is like someone hits the switch on the wind machine here. Been trying to get my wife to move to Vancouver Island for years now but that ship has sailed.

Anyway, welcome to the prairies of Canada. You've probably noticed by now we have almost 6 seasons here. Summer, fall, second summer, winter, fake spring (a teaser then back to winter) and then spring.

I run hot so I'd die in the winter wearing flannel lined jeans. I'm in a t-shirt until 15 C then maybe I'll put a jacket on. Maybe.

Whoa Rick!!
Glad to see you’re still around. Pretty cool jacket too.
I always think of you when i see someone post your gorgeous Bulldogger.
Tn to SK....wow. Retired or just changing up the critters you Vet??
Be well.
Bowen
In Saskatoon, it is a 3 season jacket....then you need an ex RCMP buffalo hide coat for the winter! I worked in Saskatoon & Regina ...for some reason my boss only sent me there in Jan and Feb.....I kept thinking deep down he disliked me.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
In Saskatoon, it is a 3 season jacket....then you need an ex RCMP buffalo hide coat for the winter! I worked in Saskatoon & Regina ...for some reason my boss only sent me there in Jan and Feb.....I kept thinking deep down he disliked me.

“...for some reason my boss only sent me there in Jan and Feb.....I kept thinking deep down he disliked me.“

I about choked on my coffee laughing at this quote @belfastboy because.....

The USMC sent me to Guantanamo
for 6 months in the summer of 74’ then to cold weather training at Fort Drum the winter of 74-75’ then desert training way way the f**k out in the Mojave the summer/fall of 75’. I decided not to take them up on their offer to extend for the Med Cruise.
I don’t think they liked me either!
Not lol
B

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
I’m in Buffalo NY. Love it because we get 4 full seasons. But our winters truly can be epic. Wind off the lake is something I’m all too familiar with, along with blizzards, and arctic chill. Maybe I need to find myself some seal!

Rick Blaine

...so I received this and it is far nicer than I have words for. Clearly bespoke.The stitching is the finest I have seen and it looks unworn. The 40" chest checks out, but...
It comes up seriously short in the sleeves tho', so I propose getting a us wings replacement fighter jacket cuffs attached to the sleeves and bottom hem and turning it into a flight-type jacket.
cuffs.jpg

An extra 4" (they advertise 4.5") in the arms should come out about right. I sure hope it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ