Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage shoes- Softening Hard Leather

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I found these really cute little 1930's shoes in 6.5 AA which is exactly my size, but the leather in them is stiff and uncomfortable, how do I soften these babies up so I can wear them, with out streching out the width?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Clarks in the UK sell a leather cream which is colourless and softens up leather nicely, or keeps them in condition without using shoe polish. I have used this to help soften a pair of evening shoes but it takes a number of applications. I used it both inside and out on the leather.

Sounds like the sort of thing you want but I can't suggest any brands you might be able to get in the US - sorry!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've softened quite a few vintage leather items with Piccards. I had to get mine online, for I couldn't find it at any tack shoppes, but it's totally worth it. It does take some time, you really have to blob it on and let it sit for about a day. Sometimes it takes more than one application, but out of all the products I've tried this works the best.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I bought a pair of NOS shoes with leather soles. And the first time I wore them, the soles started to kind of like crumble. Has anyone else had this problem? You can see the stitching along the edge now. I have another pair in brown I am afraid to wear. I think they were probably early 30s- they look like these.

96e9_1_sbl.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've always wondered what effect immersing a pair of dried-out shoes in leather food would have. Letting them sit in it for a while to insure saturation, then letting them dry would likely leave a lot of residue, but would it restore strength and pliability to the leather?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've always wondered what effect immersing a pair of dried-out shoes in leather food would have. Letting them sit in it for a while to insure saturation, then letting them dry would likely leave a lot of residue, but would it restore strength and pliability to the leather?

Years ago I rode horses, and I seem to recall reading articles in regards to leather care that advised against over-saturating the leather, as doing prevents the leather from breathing, thus rotting the stitching and causing the leather to become mushy over time.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree - you do NOT want to oversaturate any leather with any type of product, as it will basically cause it to fall apart.

I recommend Pecard's or Blackrock, both of which can be purchased online.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I've softened quite a few vintage leather items with Piccards. I had to get mine online, for I couldn't find it at any tack shoppes, but it's totally worth it. It does take some time, you really have to blob it on and let it sit for about a day. Sometimes it takes more than one application, but out of all the products I've tried this works the best.
Here's a link to the Pecards website that Daisy is referring to. I use this on my leather Indy jackets and on my kangaroo hide whips. It really is first class stuff and really conditions the leather. If you get too much on, let it sit overnight and then get a hairdryer the next day and heat it up a bit on the leather and wipe the excess off conditioner with a paper towel so that it doesn't get overconditioned..
http://www.pecard.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ITG said:
Here's a link to the Pecards website that Daisy is referring to. I use this on my leather Indy jackets and on my kangaroo hide whips. It really is first class stuff and really conditions the leather. If you get too much on, let it sit overnight and then get a hairdryer the next day and heat it up a bit on the leather and wipe the excess off conditioner with a paper towel so that it doesn't get overconditioned..
http://www.pecard.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5

ITG, thanks so much for that info. I have globbed a bit too much on a few items, and had a bit of trouble getting all of it off after letting it sit for a few days. Makes sense to heat it up a bit. Great idea!! Thanks:) This stuff really does work wonders. I used it on a vintage Louis Vuitton handbag from the 60's that was in really bad shape, and it looks like new now. Since then I've been using it on all leather products, new and old, including a leather sofa.

Miss Munch

New in Town
A shoe tip from Miss Munch

I have had great sucess using Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly on problem areas especially where your shoe rubs the back of your heel and gives you nasty blisters. Take about a heaped teaspoon and rub it into the inside of each shoe for about 20-30 seconds and leave them over night. You should find your shoes alot easier to wear and the traces of Vaseline/P.Jelly will sooth your aching feet. This method works best on dark leather and is great for mens shoes too. Hope this help someone!

Camille

Familiar Face
In Sweden, we have something called "leather balm" that horse-people use on old saddles to get them worked up.

Works like a charm. I once used it on an old tool-bag to my bicycle that'd been stuffed away in a barn for 50 years. Removes mold and gets the leather in almost new shape again.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
what about suede?

I checked the other forums and the Pecard site, but I couldn't find out what to use for stiff, crunchy suede? I just bought some suede peeptoes but they're too stiff to walk comfortably in. Would Pecards work if I just used it on the inside (where it's smooth leather and not texture-y)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes