Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shoes

RhodoraM21

New in Town
Any of you ladies know where i can find vintage shoes or with the flair of vintage.Other than ebay, any stores you know about? If you could share that would be dandy.

Rhodora

Trickeration

Practically Family
My daughter and I have both found great shoes from Swellegant in Newport Beach. The owner is Nicole. She's always got some nice shoes in her shop and the prices aren't bad. She has a ton of vintage jeans, too. You can also bring in stuff to trade. She'll see if it's something she can use, then let you know what she'll give you in store credit or cash. I always go for the credit!

Here's the address: 3409 Newport Blvd. Newport Beach, Ca. 92663
Phone number: (949) 673-3604

Also, in Long Beach there are the shops on 4th street just East of Cherry Ave. Better for clothes than shoes, but like most vintage shops, you have to stop in and see what they have at the moment.

And, next Sunday (the 21st) is the antique swap meet at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach. It's just off of the 405 on Lakewood Blvd. (north side of the freeway). Again you never know what you'll find, but I never leave empty handed (much to my husband's dismay ;) ).

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy hunting! Trix

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
*perks up*

And, next Sunday (the 21st) is the antique swap meet at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach. It's just off of the 405 on Lakewood Blvd. (north side of the freeway). Again you never know what you'll find, but I never leave empty handed (much to my husband's dismay ).

oh boy oh boy.....I might have to go to this....I adore flea marketing....

Doe Peterson

New in Town
RhodoraM21 said:
Any of you ladies know where i can find vintage shoes or with the flair of vintage.Other than ebay, any stores you know about? If you could share that would be dandy.

Rhodora

I've had good luck with repro shoes at newport-news.com. May I suggest the black, pleated round-toe pump item #MS15371 and the peep toe sandal #4G24067. I also love remixvintageshoes.com. He has vintage as well as repro shoes. They are a bit pricey, but well-made. Unfortunately I wear a size 10, so vintage shoes aren't an option for me. Good luck and happy shopping!

Dahlia

Familiar Face
I agree with Doe, if you have large(r) feet (like my size 9's) it's much harder to find vintage shoes that are your size. However, if your feet are smaller (or even if you're interested) I would recommend thrift stores and the vintage/antique stores around Old Towne Orange. There is St. Vincent de Paul thrift store off Cypress and Almond in Orange where I have seen some rather cute shoes (not my size, but still). I think you may have better luck with individual thrift stores than chains, like the Salvation Army. I hope this helps!

Trickeration

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
And, next Sunday (the 21st) is the antique swap meet at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach. It's just off of the 405 on Lakewood Blvd. (north side of the freeway). Again you never know what you'll find, but I never leave empty handed (much to my husband's dismay ).

oh boy oh boy.....I might have to go to this....I adore flea marketing....

Wildroot and Matt Deckard and I are all probably going. Sounds like it's turning into a Fedora Lounge gathering. :cheers1: Maybe we should all have some late lunch or something somewhere.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Trickeration said:
Wildroot and Matt Deckard and I are all probably going. Sounds like it's turning into a Fedora Lounge gathering. :cheers1: Maybe we should all have some late lunch or something somewhere.

Sounds cool....but you will all have to erm forgive and ignore my non accurate dressing....or something ;)

elsewhere

Familiar Face
Trickeration said:

The DH, DD & I might be there as well. Not sure yet, as we're SO busy getting out flyers for the show we're putting on next week (www.myspace.com/norwalkelks plug plug!)... so I'm not sure if we'll have the time/money.
I haven't been to the LB Flea in SO long I'm going thru withdrawls!
:p

RhodoraM21

New in Town
Wow, so many places to check out then.I've always have a hard time finding shoes of my size {8.5} they always have the small sizes makes me wish i had a smaller feet.But i'll take your advice ladies good tips thanks.

Rhodora

Dahlia

Familiar Face
Trickeration said:
And, next Sunday (the 21st) is the antique swap meet at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach. It's just off of the 405 on Lakewood Blvd. (north side of the freeway). Trix

I mentioned this to my friend and we're both really excited about it, so we might be there as well. :cool:

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Those of you who have bought Newport News, how do you find them in terms of comfort. My experience has been that the sole is a bit too thin, which in turn doesn't pad the feet well, causing my feet to be in tremendous pain before the day is over. I do like those black pleated ones...I wear a size 11 so it always makes me excited when I see them selling 40s style shoes.

Doe Peterson

New in Town
ITG said:
Those of you who have bought Newport News, how do you find them in terms of comfort. My experience has been that the sole is a bit too thin, which in turn doesn't pad the feet well, causing my feet to be in tremendous pain before the day is over. I do like those black pleated ones...I wear a size 11 so it always makes me excited when I see them selling 40s style shoes.

I do agree with you about the soles. I invested in some orthodics a while back to support my feet and spine. They seem to solve the thin sole problem. I've also had some success more economical (but sturdy) inserts at my local pharmacy. Yes, I am pleased with the just the black peated pumps (I just got them yesterday!) and for reproductions they look darn good.

fifi

Familiar Face
I'm not a fan of Newport News shoes; I find that they don't look really authentic. However, I've only purchased one pair of espadrilles and found that they were not comfortable. Granted, this is just my opinion, and I know that many people buy their shoes and love them. Girls with larger feet, don't fret--keep your eye on eBay. I've seen vintage shoes in sizes 9 and above (up to 11!). My grandmother was 5'9" and wore a size 9 shoe, and she had some fabulous shoes! I have a pair of turquoise satin Springolators that are a size 9M that I finally admit I cannot wear, and I'll be posting on eBay soon. I'm a size 8, and these don't fit no matter how much I clench my toes. Those ladies who are in L.A., go to Re-Mix; he stocks larger-size shoes specifically because most women today have larger feet! Disclaimer: Many of the shoes are later than the '40s since the stock is running low, but it's worth a look. Prices can be high, too.

RhodoraM21

New in Town
I've seen some places have shoes that are inspire with the vintage flair that cost $150! can you believe that, that's some price huh ladies.Newsport has some nice shoes that have that 1940s look but are not nice to dance with such that they give you a hard time to walk around.

MissTayva

Hey you L.A. ladies...
Been down to Olvera Street? One vendor there carries THE cutest reproduction hand-tooled leather wedges. So cheap, as well... $40.
As much as I like Bill at ReMix, he does carry pretty much the same shoe, but at close to $50 more.

I Just bought the cutest suede wedges from Victoria's Secret. They are red and have this cute little leather flower/bow thing on the vamp.

I am just lucky that I'm able to find a considerable amount of vintage shoes in my size... heck, I even lost a size for some reason, which is great for me :)

Doe Peterson

New in Town
MissTayva said:
Hey you L.A. ladies...
Been down to Olvera Street? One vendor there carries THE cutest reproduction hand-tooled leather wedges. So cheap, as well... $40.
As much as I like Bill at ReMix, he does carry pretty much the same shoe, but at close to $50 more.

I Just bought the cutest suede wedges from Victoria's Secret. They are red and have this cute little leather flower/bow thing on the vamp.

I am just lucky that I'm able to find a considerable amount of vintage shoes in my size... heck, I even lost a size for some reason, which is great for me :)

Hey Miss T, I LOVE Olvera Street! That's one of my favorite places to be. I always drool over those tooled leather wedgies. Unfortunately I haven't been blessed to go down a size, but I've actually gone up a size (my feet are wrecked from years of ballet). So the zapatos at Olvera Street and vintage shoes are just out of my league. Darn it! ReMix is a bit limited, but I'm so glad someone has my size.

fifi

Familiar Face
I too love the Olvera Street wedgies! I probably have 6 pairs of them. Does anyone remember when they were $15? Then the word got out around the swing scene and suddenly they were charging $25, then $35. I don't know how much they're going for today; I don't need any right now, thank goodness! My closet is overflowing!

Doe Peterson

New in Town
fifi said:
I too love the Olvera Street wedgies! I probably have 6 pairs of them. Does anyone remember when they were $15?

Yes, yes! I remeber when they were so reasonable and I took a little trip down there a few months ago and I think one vendor was charging about $35 dollars. Oh well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran