Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks like they've been using that same logo since their inception in the 1920s, so it looks like it's not going to be useful for dating.
mcan1.jpg

mcan1x.jpg

And they're still using it, now that they're the K-mart bargain brand.
43210.zoom.4.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It looks like they used the "the best-selling shoe in all America" tagline in their advertisements from 1953-1956. Tons of ads from those years with that tagline. A couple from 1962 with "the bestselling shoe in America"- no "all". Couldn't find any with that slogan before or after, though it's possible what was printed in the ads and what was printed on the box could have been different.

thomad2.jpg

thomad1.jpg

thomad3.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't think they're 70s McAn because they were making crap by then and these look well made. Plus, the metal heel/toe plates look older.

BTW, what's going on with the toe box?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not sure at all. The shoes are Thom McAn, so is the box. Then again, I've bought '30s Stetsons that come in '80s Stetson Hatboxes and the reverse, so anything is possible.

The seller says the box is original to this pair of shoes, that they were worn when they were new, put away with these shoe trees in them, and weren't touched after that. But I don't think the seller is the original owner, so there's no way to know for sure.

The shoe trees/stretchers might explain the toe.
KGrHqUOKjkE1v7wogyBNj6qTsiR0_3.jpg

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I don't think those are 70s-does-30s either. The shape, construction, and accessories (laces, taps) all look much older to me than that. The graphic design of the box looks more mid-century than 30's to me but, again, definitely not 70's. Those are some pretty sweet kicks, by the way!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
It looks like they used the "the best-selling shoe in all America" tagline in their advertisements from 1953-1956. Tons of ads from those years with that tagline. A couple from 1962 with "the bestselling shoe in America"- no "all". Couldn't find any with that slogan before or after, though it's possible what was printed in the ads and what was printed on the box could have been different.

thomad2.jpg

thomad1.jpg

thomad3.jpg

I thought 50s but maybe even 40s with that ventilation thing going on

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
1940s Stenchever's Majors Two Tone Shoes

Got these nice brown and white two tones yesterday. The white part seems like they are suede. All of leather is still soft. Can anyone tell me what is the best thing to use to touch up the white parts? Its not cracking at all and I don't want to use something that down the line will crack.

DSC03341.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Fun Hawaii historical fact. Liberty House was the old plantation store for H. Hackfield and Company one of the 'Big Five'. The Big Five was the five largest businesses in Hawaii that essentially used to run the state back in territorial days (you can think of late 1890s-1910s Robber Baron/Gilded Age era). Since H. Hackfield had been founded by a German immigrant to Hawaii when the US declared war on Germany in WWI, the H. Hackfield company was siezed under by Alien Property Custodian. When reformed they renamed the company something really patriotic, American Factors (more commonly known as Amfac), and of course the old plantation store needed a Patriot name too, so... Liberty House! One can think of similar renaming of "German" things during WWI as well in other countries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran