Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
No thrift shops around here like that... I hate you Gene.;) :D

Gene they are early 50s or earlier still, because they are French Shriner and Urner ...the Urner was discontinued in the mid 50s from memory,

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, cookie. That certainly rates. I read Marc's assessment of '50s for this style but if I didn't have the benefit of his knowledge about such things, I would have guessed '40s based not on the style, per se, but on the look and feel of the things.

Also, they were worn enough (although obviously taken well care of) to merit a half-sole and heel job at some point way in the past. The workmanship on the half-sole is an absolute masterpiece and the heels are quite old, I'd think.

After I took the photos above, I dug out a pair of old wooden French Shriner shoe trees to put in them to make the kit complete.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lacing Pattern

Interestingly the vintage lacing patetrn on them that MC refers to is standard on today's wonderful Barker Black shoes though they have round laces as is the modern style.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Incredible shoes from the 'teens or early 1920s. Very, very rare in this style: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350253083955

vintagemensshoes_01.jpg

vintagemensshoes_05.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I Wore these "Nettleston" specs into the office today and created quite a sensation "Binkie you have such "Handsome" things cooed the gels in the "Typing Pool"

3965306917_eb601b817a.jpg

"They are a rather "Spiffing" combination of burnished tan leather, and Charcoal coloured suede"

3965269391_d8826e8705.jpg

3965278829_f6b2501089.jpg

"On My tired feet at the end of a long day"

A Chum in olde Sydney Ti]own has an Identical pair he has "Tired of" these may well appear in "Fedora Classifieds"

3965260219_182398e1d1.jpg

analiebe

A-List Customer
good evening gentlemen...

i thought the golfers amongst you may appreciate these... i found them at the back of a junk store today and decided to take them home with me... yes they're a little battered and in desperate need of some TLC and yes they're definitely a gents shoe and too big for even my gigantic feet but i'm sure one day i'll come across a vintage-centric golfer who'll just love them

golfers04.jpg

golfers01.jpg

golfers02.jpg

golfers03.jpg

analiebe

A-List Customer
I never got the point of GOLF but there you go.... these are "soft spikes" made of some sort of hardened rubber or plastic - they can be screwed out... not sure of the size... give me a minute to measure and i'll get back to you

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

My vintage "wish list" shoes. I own them only in my fantasies.

These all came from one Los Angeles estate about 12 years ago. Their owner was a clotheshorse who didn't wear much of what he bought.

Most of the 1930s-'40s shoes below were from the "Oviatt's" store.

img057.jpg

img058.jpg

img060.jpg

img061.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Not on my wish list, but worth seeing here.

At the 1925 Exposition des Arts Decoratifs in Paris, where Art Deco was introduced to the world, a variety of men’s shoes were displayed. Who knows if anyone ever actually bought a pair, let alone wore them … but in any case, they existed.

The first photo below shows three British-made pair (from 1925!) in the collection of London’s Victoria & Albert Museum. All leather. Gilded leather shoelaces on two of 'em, too.

img061-1.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

The first photo below shows three British-made pair (from 1925!) in the collection of London’s Victoria & Albert Museum. All leather. Gilded leather shoelaces on two of 'em, too.

Psychedelic, man.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Pimpin' Bro!

lol lol
Marc Chevalier said:
Not on my wish list, but worth seeing here.

At the 1925 Exposition des Arts Decoratifs in Paris, where Art Deco was introduced to the world, a variety of men’s shoes were displayed. Who knows if anyone ever actually bought a pair, let alone wore them … but in any case, they existed.

img061-1.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Park Aves

HarpPlayerGene said:
The thrift store was very good to me yesterday.

[
DSC_0011-2.jpg

Picture3.png

The Park Avenue - probably the most famous of the standard business shoes of Allan Edmonds - has been discontinued for reasons best known to AE considering Park Aves are the shoes worn by various of the POTUS(s).

That size is a great and common men's size but it is uncommon to find them in brown.

Someone should grab these IMHO...

HarpPlayerGene said:
Also obtained these. Will probably keep them as they fit and look OK with jeans. :D They are fairly stiff, sturdy shoes. I wonder who made them for Sears - and when? [huh]
[/IMG]

Probably Florsheim rebadged with maybe a little less Florsheim quality specs..

img058.jpg

img060.jpg

img061.jpg

I think the most extraordinary ones are the sandle style derbys...amazing.

My wish list would then include the spectator and the brogue above and beside that sitting on the Morris brand shoe box.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
These are my favorites. They even have a bit of a spade sole!

Interesting MC's point about the spadeish sole when juxtaposed with this Weyenberg Massagic ad I just found - you know where lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland