Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage style "exercise" clothes?

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
As a Canadian Air Force Gal I work out everyday (soon to be twice a day) and I run and do weights, and I had not thought about vintage workout wear, but am now!

I usually run in beat up old shorts and a jersey, or when the lakes were frozen we went skating and I did wear a white knit vintage-esque hat, scarf, and mitt set I made, and of course my red lippy. If only I had some of those vintage strap on ice skates! I think the winter sportswear will open up opportunities for me to be more vintage.

ooh! Also my current lip stick brand is a stay-all-day type and I end up running the miles in dingy gym wear and my red lippy!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just saw this 20's gym suit:

102_0081.jpg

102_0093.jpg

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Gym suit from 1931 Ward's catalog:

oldi31gw.jpg

It's better than my old gym uniform which was a saggy jersey 1 piece with blue short shorts and a maroon and white striped top. It zipped up the front.

Anyway, I have old photos of people wearing...grey sweat suits. They are just like today's fleece sets. Also popular was the t-shirt and shorts.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
There's an article I wrote on the history of the gymsuit, if you're interested.

I love gym shirts from the 1930s. They are made of cotton and are cool and look cute:

yellowgymshirt%20002.jpg

Not a great photo, but you get the idea.

And on my blog I have some pictures of Claire Shaeffer, sewing book author, of her time in the Florida State U circus, that show her late 50s leotard and shorts.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Working Out - Vintage Style. Recommendations?

I have a ... VERY ... hard time getting myself to the gym.

It isn't that I don't like working out at all, actually I find zoning out on a treadmill and the repetition of weights kinda soothing, in the periods of my life when I've stuck with it for any length of time. And I certainly like the improvement in the drape of my vintage wardrobe.

But I'm a kind of a vintage snob. I hate wearing sweatpants and built-in-bra workout shirts, and am positive they don't belong outside the house. And tennis shoes are just plain generally atrocious. The fact is, I get tired of going out of my house three to five days a week looking like the mediocre middle class over-tired young moms that I see shopping at the grocery store in what are probably pajamas.

So, what sort of attire is cute, vintage-y and can be worn to work out in? I kinda thought that having a playsuit made of a modern stretch material might be cute, but the price to have it custom, whew! Any recommends on tops, bottoms, shoes, etc.? I don't think I can get away with the cuffed jeans, barely there top and bare feet that we see Marilyn bench pressing in. ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What about tennis/running skirts? High-waisted retro shorts?

There are a lot of cute retro-print tankinis out there, polka dots, cherries, etc. and I'd use the top of one with coordinating shorts. (not spandex shorts, cotton shorts) Not quite a playsuit but definitely a soft, cuter-than-your-average-gymrat look. And I'd use a cute headband or scarf with my ponytail.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I look at the 30's gymsuits and just think 'oh dear that would ride up my thighs continually on the eliptical machine' and I would be driven insane by the need to stop and unwedge them.

Although maybe skinny ladies wouldn't have that same issue.

Sorry, I will stick with lycra bike shorts that stay put.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I really like the UnderArmour gals' shirts. They have ones to keep you cool and ones for warmth, depending on what season you are working out in. I really like the long sleeve shirts made for the hot weather, to wear while working outdoors on our 100+ roses, because it can keep the sun off my skin better than sunscreen does. Plus they have some great colors that are the same colors as some of our roses!

Carlisle Blues said:
. Under Armour is perfect. However we just may be seeking a different result I just want function. "Vintage" is not my style. [huh]

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/womens here is there link it is worth a look.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
I do not klnow about "vintage" but I workout 5/6 times per week. Aerobic/weights mountain biking etc etc etc

The "old" material just does not do it for me. Under Armour is perfect. However we just may be seeking a different result I just want function. "Vintage" is not my style. [huh]

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/womens here is there link it is worth a look.

You're right - we're after totally different things. (Catch the word VINTAGE in the thread title??) That stuff is exactly the sort of thing I'm embarrassed to be seen in!

Love the pics of the old cotton 30's tops. I would love to have a couple of the cute gym suits from the 30's/40's, but I have a feeling they got awfully worn out. I'm not opposed to wearing stay-put bike shorts UNDER something, I just get tired of the gym-goer style. Not kidding, that is usually what makes it hard for me, after a couple months, to stick with a gym. I feel like I am constantly leaving the house looking like a schmuck.

So, assuming I get my cutie tennis skirt and a cotton 30's style top... what would you gals recommend for shoes? And does anyone know of any really cute short vintage-y socks? I have a pair of Chuck Taylors that don't get much use, but I have a feeling they wouldn't quite cut it ... and my only vintage two-tone socks are too special to work out in, don't want to wear them out.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
For vintage idea- I started this other thread here cuz' I'm tried of the slouchy modern yoga pants (and I'm tired of UnderAmour for exercising in- even though I like it for OTHER purposes) look myself and want something that looks more vintage-esque for exercising in. A little set like this could be fun and comfy for Zumba or weight training. Oh, on shoes, I gotta stick with my modern dance sneakers for Zumba class, but otherwise the PF Flyers repro low tops basketball shoes look really cute!

I just perused some links LadyDay had on the Vintage-Inspired Clothing thread- and one place has high waist 40s style shorts and a matching cap sleeve tie top that looks great for exercising in! I think it was Vintage Turban...

pdxvintagette said:
You're right - we're after totally different things. (Catch the word VINTAGE in the thread title??) That stuff is exactly the sort of thing I'm embarrassed to be seen in!

Love the pics of the old cotton 30's tops. I would love to have a couple of the cute gym suits from the 30's/40's, but I have a feeling they got awfully worn out. I'm not opposed to wearing stay-put bike shorts UNDER something, I just get tired of the gym-goer style. Not kidding, that is usually what makes it hard for me, after a couple months, to stick with a gym. I feel like I am constantly leaving the house looking like a schmuck.

So, assuming I get my cutie tennis skirt and a cotton 30's style top... what would you gals recommend for shoes? And does anyone know of any really cute short vintage-y socks? I have a pair of Chuck Taylors that don't get much use, but I have a feeling they wouldn't quite cut it ... and my only vintage two-tone socks are too special to work out in, don't want to wear them out.

La Julia

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
Gym suit from 1931 Ward's catalog:

oldi31gw.jpg

It's better than my old gym uniform which was a saggy jersey 1 piece with blue short shorts and a maroon and white striped top. It zipped up the front.

Anyway, I have old photos of people wearing...grey sweat suits. They are just like today's fleece sets. Also popular was the t-shirt and shorts.

This is sooo cute, that I will hate to get it all sweatttyyy...:eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
pdxvintagette said:

Well I don't know what exactly you're doing at the gym but I think maybe simple Ked sneakers in white might be a good way to go if you're doing not-running things like weights? Classic, quiet (if kept very white) and they mix and match with a lot of things. If you go with a colour that'd be more fun but you might need at least two pairs.

Depending on how aerobic you go, you might need a more modern-style running shoe in order to not wreck your feet, but I would try to get one that's at least solid white, not the chartruse zig-zag modern ones, and I personally hate black sneakers.

I think I would go with simple trouser socks, or low lace-trimmed, and go with white so I can bleach them. Nothing very exotic. However if you find cute coloured socks in a breathable cotton, they could look very cute coordinated to your outfits.

One last note on outfits: this is sort of cheating, but I would look at just doing simple camisole tops, with or without built-in bras, and then layering a camisole or other bolero-type thing over them for looking cute going to the gym or keeping you from getting a chill, and just taking it off once I was there. With a cute print camisole (I like the spaghetti strap ones or silky ones, as long as they come with their own support) and culottes, you'd look more pulled together than 95% of the other women at the gym, I promise.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
lSorry for the double post, just a couple quick notes:

1) When I said I sweat like a plowhorse I meant while working out, not all the time! Please, do not flee from me! lol :eek:

2) That under armour stuff is mostly very modern and not at all my style but they have a plaid "skort" here that is not bad looking. That said, it's listed as being polyester on the outside and 85% Nylon / 15% Elastane blend on the inner short - where exactly does the breathability come in? Am I being stupid?

woweewow

New in Town
american apparel just came out with some really cute bloomers that are just my favorite for anything, but i think work really well for a 20s chorus girl in dance rehearsal look (which is all pretty specific and everything but i think it looks really cute, pretty much exactly what i'm going for is that look) and they have elastic on the bottom so i don't worry when i'm practicing high kicks or anything (cause i'm a dancer anyways)

also i just found this pattern for a sports ensemble from the 50s, i think the look with the shorts is really cute
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.ph...use&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=3&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
lol, I do yoga in my skivvies all the time.
AT HOME, of course ;)

lol

A friend of mine is dropping a new "vintage" inspire work out line.
sadly, to her "vintage inspired" means Rockabilly, but the line is cute none the less.... full of sailor buttons, anchors, really cute tops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21