Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage style "exercise" clothes?

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
There are some gorgeous vintage options out there, but I think I would also be too scared about ruining them during actual exercise! I run, do yoga, swim, and dance.

I found two options so far for vintage-inspired exercise clothes:

Prancing Leopard (online store coming soon), check out this adorable one piece!

prancingleopard1.jpg

Also, check out Box Wine Betty (photos of upcoming collection on their MySpace). Awesome-looking workout clothes and varsity sweaters.

boxwine-l_9a3c4efebe48474fbb68d9eb4861fb1e.jpg

So excited for these lines to come out!!! Can't wait to get my hands on some of these pieces. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*bump*

Anyone interested in vintage exercise shoes should run - don't walk - here

shoes_iaec1089330.jpg

These are an exact reproduction of mid-1930s Keds gym shoes, such as you'll see listed in any thirties catalog -- and they've already been discontinued, so there aren't many pairs left. Note that the sizes listed are in *mens'* sizes, so add a size and a half to get your size. (the sizes left in stock are larger ones at this particular site, but if you wear a smaller size you should be able to find them by googling around a bit. I wear a size 10 in womens' but the men's 9's fit me with gym socks.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12480

I got these out of a book about WAVES called 'Making Waves - Navy Women of World War Two' by Evan Bachner

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzAtMjAxMDExMDgtMjE0NS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjktMjAxMDExMDgtMjE0NS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjgtMjAxMDExMDgtMjE0NC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjctMjAxMDExMDgtMjE0NC5qcGc.jpg

sorry they're so crap, I had to take pictures on my phone, but you get the idea!

Jools

New in Town
Ohmigod, that looks like ME playing field hockey, back in the day! No, seriously, we had to wear navy blue shorts and a white shirt: I wore my mom's adorable 1940s navy cotton high-waisted shorts. They buttoned up the side!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I must admit to having a bit of a bone - literally - to pick with the SB catalogues in general. Most of their models are so uniformly stick-thin and their thighs often airbrushed to oblivion. They don't look strong or sporty, or even sweaty for that matter. Each time I receive it I feel like writing one of those irate letters about poor role-models blah blah. Plus if anyone showed up in my yoga class wearing a pair of their "Yoga shorts" (read: with half of their, um, Southerly cheeks hanging out) I would feel very uncomfortable indeed.

So, back to your comment, Puzzicato, I can't see much "vintage-y" from that point of view; "vintage-inspired" can, unfortunately, unlike the aforementioned shorts, hide a multitude of sins :).

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The flutter sleeves on this one are kinda 30s:
http://www.sweatybetty.com/diva-tee-prodws188_black/

Kinda reminds me of the top of a 30s Hollywood gown:
http://www.sweatybetty.com/ballerina-cami-prodyp110_black/

This has vintage-esque elements to it:
http://www.sweatybetty.com/atonement-jacket-prodspa130_denimblue/

Uhhhh.....I like coffee. I don't drink soda :) ;) lol lol lol

Well played! That coffee is yours if I ever get the chance.

I must admit to having a bit of a bone - literally - to pick with the SB catalogues in general. Most of their models are so uniformly stick-thin and their thighs often airbrushed to oblivion. They don't look strong or sporty, or even sweaty for that matter. Each time I receive it I feel like writing one of those irate letters about poor role-models blah blah. Plus if anyone showed up in my yoga class wearing a pair of their "Yoga shorts" (read: with half of their, um, Southerly cheeks hanging out) I would feel very uncomfortable indeed.

So, back to your comment, Puzzicato, I can't see much "vintage-y" from that point of view; "vintage-inspired" can, unfortunately, unlike the aforementioned shorts, hide a multitude of sins :).

And their XXL is a 42" hip which is WAY too small for me. It's disincentivising to exercise when you can't buy exercise clothes!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Well played! That coffee is yours if I ever get the chance.

And their XXL is a 42" hip which is WAY too small for me. It's disincentivising to exercise when you can't buy exercise clothes!

In complete agreement - a 42" hip is nowhere near XXL in my head! And lord help you if you have an hourglass figure - either their trousers will be tight on the bum and gaping at the waist, or the durn things get stuck on the thighs! It's doubly annoying because I have an instructor discount card which I can so rarely use!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Such sweet detailing, and I love the fact that the top is "anchored"; it must look neat and tidy no matter what movements you make? Lucky you to have been able to try that one on!

Diamond13

New in Town
Also I buy all my retro looking exercise clothes from American Apparel because they make high waisted everything!

They make shorts exactly like these:

Lillian+Wells.jpg

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I like these images of rehearsal clothes from Mrs Henderson Presents:

arts-graphics-2005_1165745a.jpg

mrs-henderson-presents-11.jpg

I noticed in the photo and movies back then. The rehearsal clothing worn half of the ladies are wearing their bathing suits with a cute top combo. And some of the dancers are also wearing play suits. As for shoes they are wearing saddle shoes, flat lace up oxfords, and mary janes. Those are so inspiring can't wait to try this truly vintage workout wear. I my even have half these thing in my clothes closet already.
Plus www.bettiepaigeclothing.com has the most adorable play suits.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I just popped in to post some picsI found on Life Magazine's site today, they just happen to be of Marilyn also. Froom 1949, this would be quite easy to duplicate. The shorts are more revealing than a gal with strapping thighs like myself feels comfy in, but you can see they seem to be velvet.

Okay, I'm having trouble posting pics, so I will link to them. Here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points