Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage style "exercise" clothes?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm a YMCA rat, and I'm kind of bored with modern exercise clothes. Yoga pants + t-shirt = yawn. As I wear vintage inspired or vintage garb just about everywhere else, I'd been thinking about taking my vintage look to the Y. I swim, and take Pilates, Zumba and weight train.

Any one else doing this? If so, what are you wearing to work out in?

I'm a 40s figure type, so I'd like to work within that decade if possible, or late 30s. I would so love to have a swimsuit made ala' Esther Williams, and perhaps 40s high waisted shorts with knot front midriff shirt. Other than that, any ideas??

Pattern scans, pics of ads showing vintage casual/sportswear, etc. that would be suitable would be greatly appreciated and/or pics of yourself thusly attired in reply.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love the Esther Williams style swimsuits too... though I admit to eyeing cheaper retro-style knockoffs in Target. Cherry print and polka dots are both pretty easy to find, in tankinis, bikinis, and tank suits. I find the ruching very forgiving too.

And tankini tops work well with yoga pants for things out of the pool. That's what I'm planning on doing - black/white polka dot tankini top, black yoga pants.

I'm debating a running or tennis skirt. I like your idea of the high-waisted shorts.

Just plain white Hanes tee and yoga pants with ponytail holder and sometimes a ribbon on the pony or a headband is more often what I do, though. I'm plotting something a bit more Audrey Hepburn in black but then I don't have shoes that work with it.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Yet one more reason to love my home gym! I can wear any sort of get up I want! Right now my husband and I (being both work out fiends and vintage loving freaks) are actually doing a "vintage" workout. Yep, the workout is vintage inspired! At this time he sticks to mostly gray sweats and converse tennis shoes. I am still working on all my vintage get-ups (yes, multiple decades.) I also have some gray sweats for now. I would stick to simple canvas shoes (especially for weight work.) Highwaist shorts would probably be okay...let me do some looking. My husband has a lot of research into physical culture from the late 1800's up through modern times. I will check out some of his pictures and see what else I can find since most of his stuff is fellas!

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
I'm a YMCA rat, and I'm kind of bored with modern exercise clothes. Yoga pants + t-shirt = yawn. As I wear vintage inspired or vintage garb just about everywhere else, I'd been thinking about taking my vintage look to the Y. I swim, and take Pilates, Zumba and weight train.

Any one else doing this? If so, what are you wearing to work out in?

I'm a 40s figure type, so I'd like to work within that decade if possible, or late 30s. I would so love to have a swimsuit made ala' Esther Williams, and perhaps 40s high waisted shorts with knot front midriff shirt. Other than that, any ideas??

Pattern scans, pics of ads showing vintage casual/sportswear, etc. that would be suitable would be greatly appreciated and/or pics of yourself thusly attired in reply.

I just bought two Esther Williams brand swimsuits from Mybabyjo.com...a red and white polka dot, which fits like a dream, and a white one with cherries, which gaps oddly in the front and the gather in the bust looks funny (I am hoping to exchange it! :( ). They were not cheap--in the area of $72 each, but are VERY well-made, with a little boning on the sides, and a good amount of tummy control. They are adorable suits and clearly made for real swimming, not just looking cute (although they do that, too!)..;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Those of us of a certain age will remember the Gym Suit, a cotton one-piece thing that came in a few variations -- some buttoned at the shoulder and had short legs with elastic gathers at the bottom, and others had snaps up the front and short open legs. They were usually either red, green, or royal blue, depending on your school's colors, and had PROPERTY OF S. A. D. 56 PE DEPT. stencilled in white on one leg.

At the time we thought these were the most ridiculous garments imaginable, but the more I think about them, the more I'd like to find one again. They were actually quite comfortable, they were efficient, and easily washable.

And don't forget the plain white canvas sneakers and bobby socks for the finishing touch!

gymsuit2.jpg
"Okay girls, change up!"

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks Miss_ Bella_Hell...

Thanks for the link! I love the Esther Williams one piece classic suit! Its definitely on my list to get very soon, and I'll look over at my local Target too.

I'm now wearing the vintage styled Playtex 18 hr brassierre as my everyday one (very comfortable), I'm going to try it out tonight at high impact Zumba class. Held up well for weight training and Pilates last night. I have to wear my Zumba/dance sneakers for that class, but I can add bobby socks:)

QUOTE=Miss_Bella_Hell]Ha! Working out is where I draw the line. I need heavy duty undergarments (;)) and moisture wicking material. Not to mention running shoes that will take a beating.

What kind of workout is this for? High, medium, low impact?

Incidentally, Esther Williams already has her own line of swimwear. http://www.esther-williams.com/swimwear.htm[/QUOTE]

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks Mrs. Merl,

If you can dig up any pics, etc or info I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Mrs. Merl said:
I am still working on all my vintage get-ups (yes, multiple decades.) I also have some gray sweats for now. I would stick to simple canvas shoes (especially for weight work.) Highwaist shorts would probably be okay...let me do some looking. My husband has a lot of research into physical culture from the late 1800's up through modern times. I will check out some of his pictures and see what else I can find since most of his stuff is fellas!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
lazydaisyltd, thanks for the input here

I'll have to look up this site. This price seems high yes, but its what I pay full retail for my Speedo one piece that I usually wear...

QUOTE=lazydaisyltd]I just bought two Esther Williams brand swimsuits from Mybabyjo.com...a red and white polka dot, which fits like a dream, and a white one with cherries, which gaps oddly in the front and the gather in the bust looks funny (I am hoping to exchange it! :( ). They were not cheap--in the area of $72 each, but are VERY well-made, with a little boning on the sides, and a good amount of tummy control. They are adorable suits and clearly made for real swimming, not just looking cute (although they do that, too!)..;)[/QUOTE]

Mojito

One Too Many
I do a lot of high impact stuff in the gym and run outside for up to two hours at a time, so unfortunately my only priorities are that my workout gear be form fitting, comfortable and have good wicking properties! (Well...that and that it doesn't clash too wildly - I won't wear the raisin colour tights with the green compression top!).

Some of those Golden Age girls did look fabulous in their sportswear, though - Susan Lenglen and her Patou outfits, for example. I do have a 20s sports tunic to be worn over a blouse - it's a tough textile, and could take quite a lot of punishment.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I do yoga and I keep thinking how nice it would be to do it in a pair of silky 30s-y lounging pyjamas, but then I just think how they'd wear out with all the mat work and stick with my old trusty yoga pants and boy beater vests! I'm even getting less vintage for my swing dancing lessons, I'll wear my 40s trousers or skirts but with a plain black or white tshirt - no point ruining all my nice stuff with sweat just for appearances during lessons!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A regular bra for workouts? :eek: I ran out of sports bras once and tried to do the elliptical with a regular bra on, and it was so uncomfortable I had to stop and use the bike instead. I didn't even bother trying to do my run!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Great thread! I do ballet and sometimes pilates. Ballet people wear old-fashioned leotards all the time. The hard thing is to find one with really low-cut legs, I still haven't found the perfect one. I want legs that are cut straight across, without any cheeky bum action going on.
Bloomers sound cute, I bet they could be sewn up rather quickly.

Hot!
2988231273_8aac908f36.jpg

Bloomers?
2989083472_d51663765b.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't really exercise as such...

So earlier this week I ordered two polo shirts, I've got nice casual shorts that look a bit like the ones in the bottom photo ShrinkingViolet posted and several pairs of capris if I recall correctly and I've ordered some black canvas shoes. I think my shorts and capris are nice enough to be seen in, in public.;)

I've got the short white socks and I want to buy some flat, white, lace-up, ECCO leather shoes. I won't buy white canvas shoes ever again. I don't live in an area where they'll stay white for very long. I usually go off-track where it's either muddy or dusty and sometimes a bit rocky. I've completely ruined my functional, suede, Ecco sandals. I never thought that was possible.:eek: Ecco is supposed to be a hard wearing brand so that gives you an idea of the needs of my footwear.

I wouldn't want to wear out real vintage exercise clothes but I suppose that wouldn't really happen at my leisurely speeds when walking, hiking, or just riding my bicycle but since I have to wear a modern helmet anyway to set a good example to my boys and I ride a cheap bike with very little vintage appeal though the word 'vintage' is printed on it, I'm not sure there's a point in dressing retro/vintage when I'm on my bike.

For the 1-2 times a year that I walk in ankle height ocean water or take a dip in a pool, I wish I could make a (tiny) splash in a retro swimsuit and swim cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo