Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Cham a 100 years ago...

chamonix_eglise_et_le_brevent.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Kid with a camera

25305131.JPG

Everett Kuntz of Ridgeway, IA (pop. 300) captured some 2000 shots of his hometown folks in the years 1939-'42 - pictures no one ever saw, because he never had the money to print them.

Eventually, he forgot he still had them. They stayed locked away until shortly before he died in 2003.

The best shots have since made it into a book.
25305115.JPG

"Two Girls on a Swing."
09iowa_600a.jpg

"Porch."

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adelaide chickens Bronx, NY 1920s

2247381868_560637d320.jpg

An excerpt from the 1932 Centennial Yearbook of
The NY Institute for the Education of the Blind
Pelham Parkway, New York

This picture appeared in an Annual Report in the early 1920s.
The world map featured in this photograph is still in use today

tactilemaps.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the link here Fletch. WHAT A STORY. I must get this book, maybe we all should....

Fletch said:
25305131.JPG

Everett Kuntz of Ridgeway, IA (pop. 300) captured some 2000 shots of his hometown folks in the years 1939-'42 - pictures no one ever saw, because he never had the money to print them.

Eventually, he forgot he still had them. They stayed locked away until shortly before he died in 2003.

The best shots have since made it into a book.
25305115.JPG

"Two Girls on a Swing."
09iowa_600a.jpg

"Porch."

Roquentin

New in Town
This is one of my very favourite pictures on the Shorpy website, some students from a Washington, D.C. school in 1941. A substantial influence on how I like to dress, in fact.

28274uy.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Fletch said:
25305131.JPG

Man, that kid certainly had an eye! I'm definitely getting a copy of that book. What a treasure!

BTW - I have several hundred 4x5 glass plate negatives that were taken by my grandfather in the late 1890s and early 1900s and never printed. One of these days...

Roquentin

New in Town
Griemersma, I like the haircut on the man with the tie at the bottom of that big crowd scene you posted.

I just discovered this one. It's the Norwegian philosopher/mountaineer Peter Wessel Zapffe, managing to look roguish and bookish at the same time. This is 1930, by the way.

bratvaagstort.jpg

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
In response to your question Hailey, according to the Library Of Congress, the photo was taken by Russell Lee in 1938. The description says:

"Crowd of people waiting for Cajun band contest to begin, National Rice Festival, Crowley, Louisiana"

The call number is LC-USF33- 011735-M4 . You should be able to put that into the search engine on their site to pull it up. There are some other pretty cool pictures from the same group if you check the neighboring call numbers.

YETI

A-List Customer
Warbaby said:
Many of the vintage reference images posted here and in other threads are from the movies and vintage clothing catalogues. They're great reference images, but they often show an ideal that wasn't always met by the majority of ordinary people. I have a fairly extensive collection of vintage photographs from old family albums and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about vintage clothing as it was worn by reg'lar folks back in the day.

I've restored the following images and if you think this is a worthwhile thread, I'll continue to add more as I get around to restoring them.

Early 1920s

BaloonBuddiesEarly1920s.jpg

College Sweaters c.1910-1915

CollegeSweatersB1.jpg

Train Station, 1920

TrainStation1920.jpg

Early 1920s

StreetBoxersEarly20s.jpg

Picnic, England, 1929

Picnic_England1929.jpg

West Texas, 1930s

WestTexasMan1930s.jpg

Gas Station, c.1940

GasStation1940.jpg
The gas station pic reminds me of the intersection off Vaness and Market St. in San Francisco. Could it be? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24