Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

Warbaby

One Too Many
YETI said:
The gas station pic reminds me of the intersection off Vaness and Market St. in San Francisco. Could it be? [huh]

I'm not sure, but it's certainly possible. The photo is from an amazing photo album that was sold last month on eBay. The album chronicled a family's annual road trips that began in the early 1920s and continued until the 1940s. I wanted it badly, but had to drop out when the bidding passed $300 (though in retrospect, I think I should have kept on it and bought it at any price). At least I thought to grab a few examples.

The family covered just about all of the United States during that time and documented their journeys with about 350 photos. One of the cool things about their documentation of the trips was that they took photos of themselves and their car beside every route sign along their journeys. It was also fascinating to watch the children grow over the years. The photo I posted was one of the last ones in the album, taken when the two kids were in their late teens - early twenties.

Here are two more - the first photo is the first in the album with the family together. The second is when the daughter was in her early teens and the son was about 10. Note the route sign reflected in the car window.

V_RoadTrip2.jpg

V_RoadTrip1.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
As we all know, there is a great deal of discussion in the Lounge regarding style details and the correct fit of men's suits. And a lot of the discussions focus on the great styles of the 20's and 30's, with wonderful photos of many of us in our impeccable outfits.

Here's an amusing shot of what golden era style prolly looked like on a lot of ordinary folks. It's another from the series of American oil company engineers in Venezuela in 1927. Note the trousers on the guy in the white suit - hanging way low on his hips and still too short at the bottom. The other guy's just lumpy and baggy.

Perhaps we should be dressing in rumpled, ill-fitting suits for the sake of vintage authenticity...:D

oilHotel.jpg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
Perhaps we should be dressing in rumpled, ill-fitting suits for the sake of vintage authenticity...:D

Hey...I can do that! lol

You're right, though, Warbaby....I think the blue collar/working class stiff was less interested in impeccability, and more in practicality...;)
Rob

Warbaby

One Too Many
Group of passengers ready for a flight from Detroit to Cleveland on Aeromarine Airlines, 1920s.

Aeromarine22.jpg

This is the airplane they would have flown on.
I love its Steampunk aesthetic with the open cockpit in the nose, round port hole windows and cartoonish rudder...

Aeromarine11.jpg

Drew B

One of the Regulars
I've been following this thread the whole way and just archiving everything. Thanks a bunch! They are a reference for what the folk of the day would wear. I mean looking at the popstars of today doesn't really give you an idea of what 'people' wear.

Cheers,
Drew.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Interesting jacket with 4 flap pockets, 1920s
Looks like the guy keeps a lot of stuff in those pockets.

Jacket_Flaps2.jpg

Same guy, same jacket, more stuff in the pockets...

Jacket_Flaps1.jpg

Different guy, different jacket, also with 4 flap pockets.
Note the way he's casually turned up his cuffs.

Parrot_Man.jpg

Drew B

One of the Regulars
I agree! I think there's something incrediblely youthful and carfree about the way she dangle's her legs over the side there. It is very pretty.

Cheers,
Drew.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, A.Blighty and Drew B, I also love the photo of the girl in the car! It's so natural and carefree! :)

Delivering the mail in Los Angeles - probably early 1920s. I only wonder how long it took to deliver it, it's a nice picture anyway! :)
3471999136_cef2425ae7_o.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
Even though she's wearing what may be the coolest shoes ever, the young lady on the right doesn't seem very happy...

No she doesn't lol ..... unlike the humble girl with the horse, who's wearing very battered boots.....and she looks so happy! that goes to prove ....well that proves many things...I don't need to elaborate do I? :D ;) hmmmm

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
A farmer and his young son.

Found this unmailed postcard in a hymn book dated 1883 along with a
dated postcard,(1917) so I think it was most likely taken some time in the early 1920s.
Other items I found included a bill of sale for furniture dated 1927, so a 10 year time frame.
Somewhere in Onawonamac,(SP?) Wisconsin.

100_2799.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen