Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Warbaby said:
It's interesting the different ways one can interpret the facial expressions in old photographs. I took her expression to be a smirk of smug self-confidence, with a touch of arrogant pride.

OTOH, I could be entirely wrong and he could be a possessive, controlling brute who takes perverse pleasure in submitting her to unspeakable acts of degradation.

OTOH, she is taller than he and looks pretty strong - perhaps it is she who dominates the relationship, a woman of means and power who owns him, body and soul, a woman who keeps her well-endowed gardener as a pet and indulges her wanton desires without mercy.

:D

She seemed to possess a rather Kate Hepburnesque quality from where I was looking. They also strike me as somewhat bohemian; he, perhaps, in an Elbert Hubbard kind of way.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Army pilot turned bank robber gets 10 years

4194579938_9f72621dfc_o.png

Fort Sam Houston, Texas, August 20, 1932. 2nd Lieut. Herbert Lichtenberger (2nd from r), 28-year-old flight instructor at Randolph Field, with his defense team after being sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment for armed robbery of the Schertz, Texas, State Bank on February 15, 1932. Lichtenberger, whose wife was seriously ill and who had been having money problems and depressive episodes, claimed he had been drinking bootleg whiskey spiked with codeine and remembered nothing of the holdup, which netted $648.50. The aviator was dressed in civilian clothes and a handkerchief mask and drove a newly purchased Pontiac V-8, which aided in his identification and capture.

Hoosierken

New in Town
3866812055_b087317013_o.jpg

This photo really jumped at me. Look at the textures and tones. You can almost feel the textures in this image. The shirt, the hat. This is a really fantastic photo technically. They must have had a very nice lens on that camera.

Ken

Digme

New in Town
Lone_Ranger said:
Tour de France 1930's? What year did they start riding the bicycles, in the Tour? :eek:

I think if your bike gets busted up in the race, you are allowed to run with it. No joke...

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Taken between 1939-1945 by Heber Springs Arkansas photographer Mike Disfarmer.
His photos now are very sought after.
http://www.disfarmer.com/
disfarmer.jpg
I bought a book about disfarmer for only 5 euro yesterday. It`s a really great resource for the american common man of the 30s and 40s...

I also bought the book "least wanted" for only 7 €. It is a collection of old mug shots. Of course most of the only show upper part of the body (the collar, lapels of the jacket and the hairstyle are nice to look at though) but there are some full shots too.

least-wanted.jpg

What I like about this books is that they show real people instead of "beautiful", rouged, well dressed hollywood stars.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Hoosierken said:
3866812055_b087317013_o.jpg

This photo really jumped at me. Look at the textures and tones. You can almost feel the textures in this image. The shirt, the hat. This is a really fantastic photo technically. They must have had a very nice lens on that camera.

Ken

This is a great photo, for all the reasons you mention; thanks! BTW: is there any location associated with it? I'm curious if it might be New England...could be many things, but I'm wondering if the scrap of "whatever" on the rear window used to say "[DRIN]K MOX[IE!]"

"Skeet"

FRANKIE

New in Town
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]This is a great photo, for all the reasons you mention; thanks! BTW: is there any location associated with it? I'm curious if it might be New England...could be many things, but I'm wondering if the scrap of "whatever" on the rear window used to say "[DRIN]K MOX[IE!]"

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

That's a Dorothea Lange photo. According to the post about here work at the Selvedge Yard the photo is from November 1936. “Drought refugee from Polk, Missouri. Awaiting the opening of orange picking season at Porterville, California.” The post is well worth checking out, as are the comments.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.co...orothea-lange-an-american-archive-hard-times/

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Thanks!

FRANKIE said:
That's a Dorothea Lange photo. According to the post about here work at the Selvedge Yard the photo is from November 1936. “Drought refugee from Polk, Missouri. Awaiting the opening of orange picking season at Porterville, California.” The post is well worth checking out, as are the comments.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.co...orothea-lange-an-american-archive-hard-times/

Dear Frankie,
Thanks so much for your very prompt and very complete answer! Much appreciated...so, perhaps that scrap is....a radio call sign? It isn't very likely to be a Moxie ad!

Welcome to the Lounge! and thanks again,

"Skeet"

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I've posted this before, but I'll add it here. My great grandfather, Salt lake City, circa late 30's to early 40's (I'm not sure)
Dykes36.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Railroad workers, circa 1920s-1930s.

Their faces show a life filled with hard work and struggle, yet some managed to crack a smile. A couple of the older ones look boldly toward the camera while others let the long years of work show on their faces.

Scott Eshlamann
001ScottEshlamann.jpg

Jon Miller
002JonMiller.jpg

Smokey Atkins
003SmokeyAtkins.jpg

Albert Isaac
004AlbertIsaac.jpg

John Larson
005JohnLarson.jpg

Mr. Jones
006MrJones.jpg

Eyra Honeywell
007EyraHoneywell.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up

Charlie Lytle
008CharlieLytle.jpg

Bill Evans
009BillEvans.jpg

Fredrick Hansen
010FredrickHansen.jpg

Mike Gatrost (?)
011MikeGatrost.jpg

Levi Chapman
012LeviChapman.jpg

Billy Wills
013BillyWills.jpg

John Honeywell (brother of Eyra Honeywell above?)
014JohnHoneywell.jpg

Espee

Practically Family
Anybody remember this from TV?
Around 1990, on a public television station, I saw a show made up of "local events" footage (South Dakota? North Dakota?) circa 1937.
A cinema owner, who had a good movie camera outfit, lensed the parades, athletic contests, school pageants, etc. and presented the highlights along with the newsreels, cartoons, and features at his theater. Something that would draw more folks in... seeing themselves and their neighbors on the big screen.

I did some Googling with what I thought were sensible search phrases, but I didn't get anywhere.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
More everyday people, 1929. Don't know who they are but look plenty vernacular (?) to me.

notice rolled stockings on girl on the right
1929_davis_children.jpg

This colorization process was done with simple oil paints rubbed onto a black and white photograph. My high school photography teacher taught it to me. You would add colors to sections and 'buff' it away until you got a shade you liked. Then it was left to dry and you had something like this. Unfortunately I don't remember the term for the process other than 'colorizing with oil paint'.

martinsantos

Practically Family
This colorization process was done with simple oil paints rubbed onto a black and white photograph. My high school photography teacher taught it to me. You would add colors to sections and 'buff' it away until you got a shade you liked. Then it was left to dry and you had something like this. Unfortunately I don't remember the term for the process other than 'colorizing with oil paint'.

Isn't it the method using the "Marshall's color oil"? Their slogan was something like "bringing color prices down-to-earth. No special art skills necessary!". Lots of advertisements in 47 and 1948 magazines.

A few guys were really good in this. But I saw some ultrageous results, too. And, anyway, color photography wasn't SO expensive, specially with 35mm slides. Just too tricky - without care, you could get just one or two good results in 36 shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24