Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Jay

Practically Family
I'd say it's about what they look like on you. They look great, but I can see the feminine... notion they give off. Not that it matters, though. I have a pair that look almost girly but worn with the right stuff look great. I'll have to get a picture to properly explain what I mean, I suppose.

Flieger

Practically Family
Jay: Yes, you are right of course. Masculine or feminine - It all comes down to if they fit the face they are placed upon.

Love to see a snap of the ones you are talking about. :)

/F

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Anyone have any sources for replacement nose pads? I have a pair of American Optical AAF shades that I'd like to wear, but the pads are hardened and rather uncomfortable. I'm open te replacements, something to cover them as they are, etc.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I know that glasses stores can replace them. I don't think it costs much, but you may be better off finding an independent one to do it.

I love the nose pieces on mine, where it's a lump of lead (attached to the nosepiece) pushed through a slot on the frames, and flattened on the other end to keep it in. I bet they can't get away with that anymore.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
wayfarers100.jpg
[/IMG]

Nothing's wrong with them Quigley Brown!
Absolutely nothing!!!!!!!! LOL :D :D

Jerekson

One Too Many
Flieger said:
I have my eyes on these (no pun intended) - said to be "late 40's, American":

shades.jpg

However, they look a bit feminine in style to me...??? Are they?

/Flieger

Those are great, and look to be in incredible condition.

I'd say that the description of late 40's is more or less correct - judging by the lens shape and temple pieces, I would say late 40's or early 50's.

They do have a bit of a feminine air to them, but it really shouldn't matter once you put them on. Glasses tend to change shape when they are on the appropriate person's mug.

Edward

Bartender
Don't know whether these would be of interest to anyone - quite expensive (GBP60 abouts), but the quality would definitely be there:

ST00756.JPG

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm

Only problem - hard to tell from the photo, but looksl ike they might be mirrored, which is not period. Otherwise they look like a good shape, though.

Seems to me the 50s it's pretty easy to find period looking sunglasses than to Ray Ban designs still being around - Wayfarers and Clubmasters, in particular, and the Aviator design that Ray Ban brought in in the late 30s is common enough it wouldn't be a problem. Earlier than that though and it gets difficult to find anything that looks right.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Those have a great shape. They actually really remind me of my green glasses that I posted earlier...

Edward

Bartender
The Silvermans store is just up the road from me - they don't open Saturdays which is inconvenient, but if I manage to drop in sometime and I remember i'll check and see what they're like. If they stock them, they will be quality, guaranteed, thought they are expensive. If the lenses look right, they could still be a good buy, but not if they need replaced IMO. An optician I once talked to about buying Ray Bans and getting prescription lenses in them told me that if you're going to replace the manufacturer's lenses on a really good pair of sunglasses, there's no point spending the money on them to begin with as most of what you're paying for is the quality of the lense....

Still, at least with a good shape like that it's something else to watch the Bay for, eh?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ahhhh, Silvermans of Mile End Road...

:eek:fftopic: Memories!! I betcha that some of the Brit Military in here (like Mike Para) has bought a few 'private purchase' items from there. I remember getting my "Gucci" SAS windproof smock there in the early 80's and a Goretex Bivvy bag for 'lying out' (Goretex was really cutting edge 'space age' stuff 'then!'). Then there was "Survival Aids" up in Cumbria (yummy ventile kit!), remember them Mike?!

Back to the specs chaps!!

catspyjamas

New in Town
They have a few pairs of round glasses on ebay france if anyone is interested...i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post a live auction link, does anyone know ?

There is one which says "from 1940s/50s". Pair of glasses with sunglass lenses that lift up...have no idea if this is authentic though...

Ah. Saw that the seller ended the bid early because he made a mistake with the price so I guess I can post the link now :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ANCIENNES-LUNETT...categoryZ142496QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, were they truely vintage ? [huh]

Jerekson

One Too Many
That's a tough one.

The frames themselves are very reminiscent of 30's and 40's reading glasses...but the flip-up lens trend didn't really kick off until the 60's (I believe).

Those are very hard to date. They could be anything from the 1930's to the 1980's, to be honest.

That sure narrowed it down :rolleyes:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Edward said:
Don't know whether these would be of interest to anyone - quite expensive (GBP60 abouts), but the quality would definitely be there:

ST00756.JPG

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm

Only problem - hard to tell from the photo, but looksl ike they might be mirrored, which is not period. Otherwise they look like a good shape, though.

Seems to me the 50s it's pretty easy to find period looking sunglasses than to Ray Ban designs still being around - Wayfarers and Clubmasters, in particular, and the Aviator design that Ray Ban brought in in the late 30s is common enough it wouldn't be a problem. Earlier than that though and it gets difficult to find anything that looks right.
Edward, those shouldn't be mirrored. They are (or were until recently) RAF issue and have very dark brown lenses with stainless steel frame. The pattern is pretty much unchanged since the 1950s and is based on that of WW2. They are as good a quality pair of s/glasses as you'll find and well worth the money....or try ebay, where they often go for much less, I've sold 'em for under a tenner on evil bay, boo hoo.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Flieger said:
I have my eyes on these (no pun intended) - said to be "late 40's, American":

shades.jpg

However, they look a bit feminine in style to me...??? Are they?

/Flieger
that is a very typical 1940s shape, I've seen dozens similar. I can't see there's anything especially 'feminine' about them, and if you like them why should that bother you anyway? Go for it.

Flieger

Practically Family
Kinda tiny

Well, I got them today and they are...

tiny_shades.jpg

... not quite what I was hoping for. :D

A bit feminine, sure but I can live with that. My main greif is that they are too small for my face.

Oh well, one can't win all the time.

Anyone with a smaller head interested in buying them from me?

Flieger

Edward

Bartender
nightandthecity said:
Edward, those shouldn't be mirrored. They are (or were until recently) RAF issue and have very dark brown lenses with stainless steel frame. The pattern is pretty much unchanged since the 1950s and is based on that of WW2. They are as good a quality pair of s/glasses as you'll find and well worth the money....or try ebay, where they often go for much less, I've sold 'em for under a tenner on evil bay, boo hoo.

Cool, thanks!

I'll be keepnig an eye on the bay, then.... I'm looking for some used RayBans on there too, watching a number of auctions... they're the 50s look, of course. Wayfarers for with a Brando MC, Clubmasters for with a suit. Clubmasters just look that much better with a suit, IMO - they have that G-Man vibe, plus it's not every day that one wants to look like one is trying to look like Mr Pink or Jake or Elwood!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Flieger said:
Hehehe! No, I guess the picture says it all. :D

/F

lol Flieger, if you have a little sister, they will make a great birthdaypresent.:rolleyes:

Those RAF sunglasses looks real good - just a shame they are only medium size. Guesse I would run into the same problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda