Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice.

031.05.sun.front_000.JPG

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
They may possibly be shooting glasses...

Dinerman said:
I got a very interesting pair in today.
Everything about them says early- but the style is something i've never seen before . Cable temples, windsor nose, BIG lenses with a curve to them, so they wrap around your face. Maybe they were car goggles?
They look very similar to these- http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-AUTO-GL...ryZ48559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
which are AutoGlas sunglasses, and I've found Auteglas as an alternate spelling/ misspelling.
IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

Dear Dinerman,
While they're not an exact match...the rather unique shape makes me wonder whether your very interesting find might be related to these "rifle crank" glasses from Stoeger's 1940 catalog:
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/Stoeger%27sShootingGlasses&bgcolor=black

Cheers, and have the blue plate special for me,
"Skeet"

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
But these rose colored glasses, that I'm looking through Show ooo.......nly the beaut

univibe88 said:
It seems that green is a very common lens color on vintage sunglasses. But it also seems to have fallen out of favor.

So what was the deal with green in the first place? Why was it commonly used? What is special about it? As in grey being color neutral, brown improving contrast, etc. What is special about green lenses? And why has it seemed to fall out of favor.

:D I think it was because they had not invented "Rose" colored glasses yet!

Sing it John Conlee!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
It would seem that it simply stems from optometrical "knowledge" of the time, the same that gave us the notion that one's frames should be no larger than the human eye. Conventional wisdom held that green removed eye strain, and thus was appropriate for the lenses of glasses which would be used in activities that would wear on one's eyes, from being outdoors for long periods to dealing poker to certain office positions (hence the ubiquitous green visor oft seen in depictions of golden era accountants). The belief dates back to ancient Rome, and some of the very first recorded sunglasses, those belonging to Emporer Nero. His were designed with polished emeralds, as he believed this would allow his eyes to relax while watching gladatorial bouts in the Colosseum.

Like many outdated ideas, though, there seems to be a grain of truth to it. Basic anti-reflective coating for modern eyeglasses glows green when held at an angle beneath a light source, and the G-15 lens does incorporate green tint intermixed with gray.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
MisterGrey said:
The belief dates back to ancient Rome, and some of the very first recorded sunglasses, those belonging to Emporer Nero. His were designed with polished emeralds, as he believed this would allow his eyes to relax while watching gladatorial bouts in the Colosseum.
That's fascinating. Thanks for that.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I just replaced my Clubmasters that I sat on 15 years ago with a vintage NIB pair of Clubmasters Outsiders that sport the true green lens ... they're BL with the Rayban logo on the right lens, so I'm not sure how 'vintage' they really are [huh] they're really nice & easy on the eyes with 100% UV protection though ;)

univibe88

One Too Many
Wil Tam said:
I just replaced my Clubmasters that I sat on 15 years ago with a vintage NIB pair of Clubmasters Outsiders that sport the true green lens ... they're BL with the Rayban logo on the right lens, so I'm not sure how 'vintage' they really are [huh] they're really nice & easy on the eyes with 100% UV protection though ;)

How color correct are they? Do they make the whole world look green?

univibe88

One Too Many
Those are great glasses! Did yours come with stickers on the lenses? If so, what did the sticker say?

I had some Wayfarers from around 1990 and some Clubmasters from around 1995. I'm so upset that I don't have either of them anymore.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
Those are great glasses! Did yours come with stickers on the lenses? If so, what did the sticker say?

I had some Wayfarers from around 1990 and some Clubmasters from around 1995. I'm so upset that I don't have either of them anymore.

Ray Ban Outsiders

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I always insist on green lenses for my prescription sunglasses.

I got these done in NYC's Chinatown, where I had a choice of how dark a shade of green I wanted. I was going to go darker, but the optician talked me into lightening up just a bit.

My frames are vintage -- they're French, I think, and from the 1950s or early '60s.

sunglasses1.jpg
sunglasses2.jpg

Wil Tam

Practically Family
skyvue said:
I always insist on green lenses for my prescription sunglasses.

I got these done in NYC's Chinatown, where I had a choice of how dark a shade of green I wanted. I was going to go darker, but the optician talked me into lightening up just a bit.

My frames are vintage -- they're French, I think, and from the 1950s or early '60s.

sunglasses1.jpg
sunglasses2.jpg

Can I ask where did you go and how much did they charge you, oh & did they use glass?

I had a pair a vintage Italian frames refitted with some polarized lenses that were made of hi-impact plastics that only came in dark gray & brown ... I chose the gray & it cost me 100 bucks [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Wil Tam said:
Can I ask where did you go and how much did they charge you, oh & did they use glass?

They're glass, yes, and we went there because it was priced lower (mine were still on the pricey side, but I wear progressive lenses). I don't remember the name of the place, but I can ask my wife if she does. You could also call Fabulous Fanny's -- they'd know (they're the ones who recommended this place to us).

Wil Tam

Practically Family
skyvue said:
They're glass, yes, and we went there because it was priced lower (mine were still on the pricey side, but I wear progressive lenses). I don't remember the name of the place, but I can ask my wife if she does. You could also call Fabulous Fanny's -- they'd know (they're the ones who recommended this place to us).

I'm thinking it has to be one of these places from B to D ... let me know, I have some frames that I want refitted ... thanks

Feraud

Bartender
MisterGrey said:
It would seem that it simply stems from optometrical "knowledge" of the time, the same that gave us the notion that one's frames should be no larger than the human eye. Conventional wisdom held that green removed eye strain, and thus was appropriate for the lenses of glasses which would be used in activities that would wear on one's eyes, from being outdoors for long periods to dealing poker to certain office positions (hence the ubiquitous green visor oft seen in depictions of golden era accountants). The belief dates back to ancient Rome, and some of the very first recorded sunglasses, those belonging to Emporer Nero. His were designed with polished emeralds, as he believed this would allow his eyes to relax while watching gladatorial bouts in the Colosseum.

Like many outdated ideas, though, there seems to be a grain of truth to it. Basic anti-reflective coating for modern eyeglasses glows green when held at an angle beneath a light source, and the G-15 lens does incorporate green tint intermixed with gray.

Fascinating! Thanks for the info.

Back in the 80s I had a pair of Wayfarer frames with those orangey blue blocker lenses. I loved those shades!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for starting this thread, I was curious about green lenses. I'm thinking of getting prescription sunglasses in green this summer. Here's a pic from last summer of (non-prescription) vintage green sunglasses with green lenses! (Thank you ShortClara ;))
grn497glasses.jpg

grn487glasses2.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]
It should also be noted that "sunglasses" as we think of them were (in the 19C, at least) often not that at all, but rather a medical device to protect "weak" eyes....[/QUOTE]

To go even farther back, colored lenses such as green were used to treat different varieties of the pox (mostly VDs like syphilis) in the 18th century. You would not have worn colored lenses unless you had a medical reason to.

Personally, I prefer green lenses. I find them to be much easier on the eyes.

univibe88

One Too Many
I got my glasses back from the optometrist. They are decidedly G15 and not green. She said that is the best the lab could do. I do like very much the way the tint looks while I'm wearing them, and it does look good with the tortoise frames. So I will keep them. But they are not green like the picture I posted above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24