Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
All vintage. And them's genuine tortoise shell!

Shoes240.jpg
I'd love a pair of one of those!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
All vintage. And them's genuine tortoise shell!

Shoes240.jpg

Beautiful frames, Tomasso! I've been trying for more than 10 years to find a pair of wearable real tortoise frames that I could afford. The few I've come across have been either too damaged to restore or priced way out of my league. I love tortoise shell and have a nice collection of cigarette cases, combs, and other accessories - even a tortoise watch band - but so far the frames have eluded me.

Of course, by the time I finally do find a pair of tortoise frames, the few old guys who know how to fit lenses in them will prolly be gone...

habberdasher

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
8a14275u.jpg

Also proving that not all men used heavy gobs of hair jelly.

Yes, but the men with STYLE lol and a bit older age used it-look in most photos, movies, documents, etc and they used some product to shine their hair.

Levallois

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
I think I've seen them on eBay for about $40?

Ebay is where I got them - the seller is in Germany but it was a no-sweat transaction and they arrived fairly quickly. These are a little more fragile than modern sunglasses and are a little small for my head. Apparently, people didn't have such a large melon in the 1930s.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Levallois said:
Ebay is where I got them - the seller is in Germany but it was a no-sweat transaction and they arrived fairly quickly. These are a little more fragile than modern sunglasses and are a little small for my head. Apparently, people didn't have such a large melon in the 1930s.

I also have gotten very nice 1930s sunglasses from Germany through Ebay. It was an optical company and they shipped very fast too, and the frames were (like those you describe) a bit fragile and slightly small, but really OK. I love them.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Levallois said:
These are a little more fragile than modern sunglasses and are a little small for my head. Apparently, people didn't have such a large melon in the 1930s.
Unfortunately my hat size is XL, and my head is HUGE so I probably can't wear a vintage pair.

Levallois

Practically Family
I wear a 7 1/2 inch hat and the only person I know with a larger head is my son at 7 5/8 inch. If I can pull this off, even if barely, then almost anybody can.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
I have the same hat size as you-but the glasses are sliding up and not even resting on your ear in the photo!

Even though you're right, I think Levallois is quite happy with his sunglasses. And they do look nice..

Levallois, perhaps an optometrist could help manipulating the frame with a litlle help of some heat and some bending to make it fit a little better..? I'm a 7,5 too, and was really tempted to buy these glasses.. they're fabulous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot