Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
The truth is, both MisterGrey and Pablochan are correct. Back in the 1920s, a few original, flamboyant (and expensive) sunglasses for ladies only were targeted at the luxury market. Less affluent ladies --that is, most women-- wore sunglasses which were essentially smaller-sized versions of those made for men. The difference lay in their dimensions, not designs.

In the latter half of the 1930s, 'ladies-only' sunglasses began to be mass produced and marketed.

I'm sorry, gentlemen! I really didn't mean for this to turn into an argument! :(

Marc Chevalier- Thank you for clearing that up! The glasses I was wearing are my favorites, and I tend to wear them more than the others due to their size. I hadn't even had the gender specific question cross my mind until Jennifer had put them on and commented on the difference between the two. The larger lenses and frame width fit her face better than mine. But sitting next to each other you'd hardly notice a difference.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
habberdasher said:
That photo of the mourner is from the 1930s, not the '20s.
If that's Rudolph Valentino's funeral, then he died in 1926.

It's not his funeral; it's his resting place that she's visiting. This is a 1930s publicity shot of one of those gals who visited Valentino's resting place every year on the anniversary of his death.

"Rudolph Valentino was laid to rest in 1926 at Hollywood Memorial Park...

Four years later, at the unveiling of a monument in Valentino's honor, several people noticed a mysterious woman standing at the fringes of the crowd. She wore a black dress and a black veil that completely covered her face. Afterwards, she was always seen at the monument and at Valentino's grave on the anniversary of his death.

Rumors began to spread about the identity of the mysterious lady in black. Some said she was Rudy Valentino's one true love; others claimed that it was just a fan imitating the 1930's movie "The Only Normal Man in Hollywood". In the film, a woman dressed completely in black visits Valentino's gravesite every year.

Copycats soon began adorning themselves in black and making solemn trips to Rudy's final resting place. In 1939, three women in black were spotted at his grave."

habberdasher

A-List Customer
eBay glasses

I just purchased these from eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...25529&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1931wt_1024
All was well, until I found out the diameter was 2.25"! They look like perfect 1930s glasses reproductions, but some idiot wanted them to look hippie, so they made the lenses bigger! And I only noticed until AFTER I bought them! Stupid me! Unless, were some male lenses that big then? (please!)

volatile

A-List Customer
Le Corbusier had round specs that big - although I'm not sure exactly when he started wearing them.

I bought some smaller wire-rimmed 1930s specs but can't get lenses for them as my prescription's too strong...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
bilde.jpg

volatile

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
And Philip Johnson wore a pair in homage to "his" mentor, Le Corbusier...

Indeed.

Every picture I've ever seen of Le Corbusier has him in big, round frames. He died in the 60s but was definitely active and prominent in the 30s, so I'm sure some of the pictures of him as a younger man are from around that period.

le_costyle1.jpg

This is undated, but definitely earlier than this one, dated 1935.

corbu.jpg

I think if you fancy a bolder look, yours will work just fine as period-esque!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
and -this- is why the more blind amongst us rejoice at the invention of double condensed plastics...that let the lenses be thinner....

Because without such fine advances in plastics....-that's- what my choice of frames resembles....

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You can't quote me on that, it was a mis-quoted quote that I "quoted".
Not my quote, it was Habberdasher's mis-quote of himself, or Marc.
Understand?
Blame the mis-quoted HTM[L]
Meanwhile, the faulty HTML rolls along.

I mean, I didn't say it.

I just said "You don't say..."

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner