Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
You can't quote me on that, it was a mis-quoted quote that I "quoted".
Not my quote, it was Habberdasher's mis-quote of himself, or Marc.
Understand?
Blame the mis-quoted HTM[L]
Meanwhile, the faulty HTML rolls along.

I mean, I didn't say it.

I just said "You don't say..."

B
T

Heh...all I did was hit quote....so not my fault either...I was framed on the charge of misquoting!

I am innocent!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
pablocham said:
Mistergrey, you would learn more about vintage clothing and fashion by spending 10 hours looking at vintage photographs than you would in a million years spent on this forum. Why don't you take a little time off from hypothesizing and postulating and generalizing and just look at photos of what people actually wore back then.

Or hanging out with old optometrists who are kind enough to let me peruse their vintage collections and give me info on trends and styles of the olden days...

Although I will admit to having made a generalization, I think that for the purposes of this thread it was appropriate. Right now, I can go to Macy's and buy a pair of pink trousers. They will cost me something to the tune of $325 but, I can go and buy pink trousers. They are made, they are available. But fifty years from now, if someone asks what styles were popular in 2009, what the average man was wearing, if you are looking for a pair of repro or vintage 2009 slacks to look like the average person in 2009, pink trousers are probably not going to come up in the conversation.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
repro vintage-inspired sunglasses arrrived

Woohoo! I just received the other day my Farnsworth (round lens, dark tortoiseshell frame) made with G15 green lenses from Allyn Scura. Will be my prescription sunglasses to wear with my vintage 40s clothing. These can work for the upcoming ADSC Gatsby Summer Afternoon and any other Art Deco events as well.

Pic will be forthcoming and soon, promise!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Allyn Scura "Farnsworth" sunglasses

here they are, in this pic the indoor lighting makes the lenses look a dark funky shade, but they are actually a clear bottle green color. Please excuse the fuzzy hair in this pic, and I look like I could use a nap!
371125602.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
pablocham said:
One of the things that always amazed me about Philip Johnson--besides the awesome glasses--is that he spied on America for Hitler's Germany, and never spent a day in jail or apologized for it.

That said, I own a pair of these with a sunglasses prescription: http://www.eyeglasses.com/anglo-american/aa180.html

I haven't worn them for a while in favor of shurons and clubmasters, but really good frames.

http://archrecord.construction.com/people/profiles/archives/0505johnsonProfile_stern.asp

texasgirl

One Too Many
Those look great CC!

And a belated compliment to Cherry_Bombb- I love yours too!

I need to post a picture of my new red ones- they're really cool!

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
They were 10 years old and never worn when I bought them. The optometrist had them in the bottom/ back of a drawer. My dog ate them a few months ago. The arms have little dimples, the nose pieces are gone and a lense was popped out. They are/ were Silhouette from Austria.

I cant express how angry I was.

n771900360_2233414_5691.jpg

No worries, the stash is long gone by about a year now... people still know me for it...?

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Sunglasses Etiquette?

I've never heard of any sunglasses etiquette - aside from "don't wear them inside." Or in the dark.
Are the rules any more complicated than that?

Tomasso said:
Tell that to the Irishman. ;)
Or anybody with light sensitive eyes--try to remove mine, I'll consider it "assault and battery" and respond accordingly. Fricassee my eyes and you leave me both crippled and vulnerable, and I don't do "vulnerability"...

In my case, though, I consider it a matter of etiquette to explain my circumstances.
----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Spectre Island
via FoxyTunes

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Not complicated, but...

I take mine off when I'm talking to someone, even outside if the conversation is going to last longer than a minute or so.

Edward

Bartender
I think, medical necessity aside, it is polite to remove them where possible (more often than not, I'm wearing prescription lenses with a photochromic treatment, so they will be dark outside but lighten of their opwn accord when I step in somewhere). There are, however, occasions where I have deliberately kept dark lenses on (thinking especially when it gets to those days that are so bright, I wear contacts with sunglasses that are extra dark) as I have specifically wanted to maintain a psychological distance from certain people. That can be very useful indeed.

Boxytheboxed

New in Town
I feel like many rules of hats apply here- if you're introducing yourself or speaking to a lady you should probably take them off.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I do not think there are rules about this. I mean I know when i have a migrane i won't take them off. I actually had mine on all day while teaching the other day becuse of a migrane. My kids thought I was crazy but hey I felt better

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
I think this settles the issue

Hologram-Sunglasses-Lizard-Eyes.jpg
lol
My kids thought I was crazy but hey I felt better
Should've told them you were on a mission from God. :p

Interesting. It appears that the rules are "when you want/need to, wear 'em." Glad to know that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner