Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
theinterchange said:
the weight pressing on my nose.

Randy

I wore glasse spectacles for years and my nose was always sore! Thank God for polycarbonate lenses. I notice if I were my Ray-Ban Aviators all day they (glass lenses - non perscription) weigh heavily as well.

-dixon cannon

South

One of the Regulars
Ah - the weight issue is a good point. I hadn't thought about that. The sunglasses I've been wearing for the last year or so are polycarbonate.

saint-john

New in Town
Hammelby said:
Thank you guys for the tips...

Youll never guessed what happened to me today!
Sometimes, luck just strikes you:
I went on a antique fleamarket, and look what i found!!!

The guy said they were old, but he had no clue of when they were made
so i got them for around 3 dollars :D Insane bargain.
The frame is really fragile and a bit hard to take of, so im very carefull when taking them off. Any tips on removing them from the head?

glass.jpg

Notice the striking resemblance?

brille.jpg

Green glass.

detalje.jpg

The nails looks like brass or something

brille2.jpg

But as you can see, the right "earbar" (dont know the english word :))
is broken. But i can wear them fine, unless someone peaks behind my ear.
The ear bar has that funny shape, im thinking of getting someone to add something on it, either metal or some black material. What do you think?

style.jpg

Im not sure if they are genuine 30-40 vintage. Here on the inside of the "nosebridge", there is some faded white inspriptions: "WILLSON" "STYLE-K7"

They look like the same as the English Patient ones
the-english-patient-sunglasses.jpg

Ray Ban Gatsby 1

So I got it in my head that I just had to get a pair of Ray Bans -- Wayfarers, Clubmasters, something along those lines. Did a bit of online research. Saw that Luxottica acquired Ray Ban and now the line is made in Italy. Saw that they introduced some new colors in recent years. Hit a local optical shop and befriended an optician there who can get her hands on some of the discontinued colors. She has a couple of pair coming in next week for me to check out, and maybe get Rx-ed.

Saw an eBay listing for Ray Ban Gatsbys. Really liked 'em. Saw a few more eBay listings for Ray Ban Gatsbys. The styles differed quite a bit, but they were all pretty cool looking. Called the optician. She said she can't get Gatsbys anymore (apparently they're discontinued). She also said it looks like they came in something like half a dozen more-or-less distinct styles.

Back to eBay. Got a pair of Gatsby 1's coming my way. Genuine B&L's. Weren't cheap, but they look the "earliest" of all the styles. I dig 'em. I think I'll leave the original Ray Ban green glass lenses in them, seeing how I can see well enough out of my left eye (ever since that cataract surgery a few years back) to get by just fine without correction.

And here they are ...

Ray Ban Gatsby 1's, in "pearlized" black (this style also came in faux tortoiseshell and solid black) ...

IMGP1791.jpg

They ain't vintage, but the style is plenty close enough, and they're more wearable than any actual vintage shades I'm likely to find, considering the size and condition of most of the old stuff. They're pre-Luxottica Ray Bans -- they appear as sturdy as any "regular" eyeglass frames I've ever bought (and paid what seem ridiculous amounts for, considering there ain't that much to 'em), and they lenses are actual glass, which is heavier than modern plastic lenses, of course, but still ...

habberdasher

A-List Customer
tonyb said:
Ray Ban Gatsby 1's, in "pearlized" black (this style also came in faux tortoiseshell and solid black) ...

IMGP1791.jpg

They ain't vintage, but the style is plenty close enough, and they're more wearable than any actual vintage shades I'm likely to find, considering the size and condition of most of the old stuff. They're pre-Luxottica Ray Bans -- they appear as sturdy as any "regular" eyeglass frames I've ever bought (and paid what seem ridiculous amounts for, considering there ain't that much to 'em), and they lenses are actual glass, which is heavier than modern plastic lenses, of course, but still ...
I can't find them anywhere-they're exactly what I'm looking for in tortoise; a 20's-30s look.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I found some modern Cazal glasses that look pretty vintage, I'm thinking a 30's look, which is what I'm going for in tortoise. What does anyone else think what decade they look like from? It's on eBay: 170483685054

habberdasher said:
I can't find them anywhere-they're exactly what I'm looking for in tortoise; a 20's-30s look.

I saw a (faux) tortoiseshell pair sell on eBay a few weeks back for something like 160 bucks.

This may not be the best time of year for scoring a bargain on sunglasses, but then again, these things are always something of a craps shoot. The style is long discontinued, so it ain't like a person can just decide he wants a pair and go buy 'em. But I'm convinced the pair you want is out there. Should I stumble across any, I'll try to alert you. (Wouldn't mind having a tortoise pair myself, but I've purchased two pair of shades in recent weeks -- the other being red-and-black Wayfarers I had Rx'ed, at considerable expense -- so yet another pair would be severely pushing my luck with the Boss Lady.)

Peter

New in Town
1930s sunglasses

Good morning chaps

Now here is a poser to throw into the mix.

can anyone advise me where to acquire 1930s style sunglasses, preferably with tortoise-shell frames?

Many thanks indeed

Peter

swinggal

One Too Many
Ebay. You'll always find them for sale there. Sadly, I broke my 30s sunglasses recently. Must get some more. Just remember, the lenses back then were typically just tinted glass, so you need to be careful in the sun.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I didn't find any vintage glasses I liked or that weren't too expensive at the moment, so for the time being I bought these. They're new but have a nice vintage look to them so I think they will do until I find some nice real vintage shades.

BTW: If you're looking at the German 'Bay, it becomes pretty obvious that, in Germany, 'vintage' obviously means 1970's almost exclusively, with some 50's flavor thrown in for good measure... :rolleyes:

sunglasses_01.jpg

habberdasher

A-List Customer
swinggal said:
Ebay. You'll always find them for sale there. Sadly, I broke my 30s sunglasses recently. Must get some more. Just remember, the lenses back then were typically just tinted glass, so you need to be careful in the sun.
The lenses didn't protect your eyes from the sun? Just darkened the light?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Dark lenses do not necessarily equal sun protection. You need something that filters UV radiation to do that. Wearing dark lenses without UV protection can actually harm your eyes by dilating them, further exposing them to harmful UV rays.

Polarized + UV + Dark Tint on polycarbonate lenses = Only Way To Roll, in my book. The polycarb is superior to glass for durability (I don't need safety-glasses, ever, just side-shields--and this even includes out on the range with flying brass hitting me in the head at least once a minute), UV for obvious reasons, polarization to kill glare, dark tint to protect my oversensitive eyes.

----------------
Now playing: Tango Project - Por Una Cabeza
via FoxyTunes

MisterGrey

Practically Family
IME, polarized is not for everyone. The polarized lenses I've had in the past have tended to be lighter than non-polarized. They eliminate the glare, but if your eyes are as light sensitive as mine, it doesn't do much good. Some optometrists also won't tint polycarb lenses; they don't take tint as well as plastics. If you're in a position where shatter resistance is a must, though, it's polycarb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko