Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know of Taccio brand sunglasses? I can't find any information on them. There's a pair I'm considering bidding on, styled after RayBan Caravans. How's the quality?

Thanks for any guidance.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Sunglasses: the wheat from the chaff

Today's CrowdCut deal is a rather nontrivial discount on a pair of the classic Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses as made famous by just about everybody.

(Aside: the deal seems technically only offered to the Minneapolis-St Paul area, but as it's not a local good, I don't think that's enforceable)

Anyway, it's a tempting offer, as it makes some of the most iconic sunglasses in history attainable to me for the first time, and probably the last time for a while. But nearly two-thirds discount or not, fifty-five simoleons still seems a bit much for a pair of shades--I know look-alikes can be had for roughly 1/11th of the cost.

So the question is: what separates the sunglasses wheat from the chaff? What makes more expensive glasses worth it? To people who've gone big-brand, was it worth it? For people who've eschewed the label for economy, has that been worth it?

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Well, I'm not an expert on Ray-Ban but I've had a couple of pairs and even considering the fact that the brand changed hands a couple of times they still make a quality product. If you want to buy American please consider American Optical - top notch product!! Ray-Ban is currently owned by Luxotica from Italy who also own Persol, Oakley and a couple of other brands. They are the largest quality sunglasses manufacturer in the world.

What sets quality sunglasses apart from cheap knock-offs?

-Quality toughened mineral or acrylic lenses in various shades, with or without polarizing filter (nice and practical to have)
- Polarizing filter can be had in mineral lenses which is quite rare. American Optical and Randolph Engineering also offer that option
- Quality frames made from sturdy plastic or metal, metal frames have a durable powder coating or galvanized finish so the color doesn't wear off
- Plastic frames ususally have a very good finsish and don't become dull or shabby were they are in contact with the skin.
- Comfortable and easy to adjust nose pads
- Robust hinges, screws can be tightened and exchanged if needed
- Model comes in various frame sizes and finishes

Hope that helps

Glasses and sunglasses can be quite expensive. as to inexpensive ones - Metal frames are very susceptible to damage and the poorly made often have the welds let go. One thing is that if you sweat in metal frames you may find the metal coating will errode away and a corrosion may appear under the ear piece plastic. The screws that hold the arms to the frames back out on cheap glasses a lot more. You may find that lenses pop out more ofen in cheap glasses.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
JanSolo covered it well. I have gone back on forth on the issue, sometimes wearing the expensive, well-made shades and sometimes going with the cheap sunglasses. I've found that the quality sunglasses hold up much better, tend to be more comfortable, and I tend to keep them. I think they look better, as well. The lenses certainly hold up better! One thing I hate is a scratched lens.

Last year I decided that I was going to go back to quality sunglasses for good and bought a pair of Ray Bans. Older ones, NOS. Never regretted the price, especially when I think of how many pairs of cheap ones I've bought over the years.

Cheers,
Tom

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Those MacArthur's are very nice. My problem is my huge noodle; I can hardly ever find sunglasses that actually fit without digging into the side of my head and leaving lines.

I have a pair of 1940's sunglasses that has belonged to my grandmother. I love them, but the glass makes them very heavy and a bit uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

030k.jpg

just love 'em
VM

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have some knew Wayfares, they did have Ray-Ban written in the corner but got this off with a tiny bit of paint stripper, and I mean a tiny bit, just enough to cover the words. They now look like the older versions. This wont work with any cheap knock offs though as they may have plastic lenses and just melt. Originals have glass lenses.
Mine are great driving glasses as they are polarised.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
I'm getting my first prescription sunglasses. Started with a pair of cheap Clubmaster knockoffs but the shape's not quite right, the lenses are very dark and I need the prescription. Since my main glasses are recent Shuron Nusir I got something different: vintage Universal off Etsy. About the same size lenses as my main pair. Looks just like American Optical browlines, like Tom Hanks wore in Catch Me If You Can (same wing-logo shields in front). Black plastic; silver (actually gold-filled) chassis. Getting Clubmaster-shade traditional dark-green lenses. Dark but not too dark. All told, about $40-50 less than Clubmasters. Should be good.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
For prescription eyewear I'm in the process of trying this business out:
http://www.warbyparker.com/men/optical

Vintage inspired frames for the Williamsburg, Brooklyn kinda crowd but too good of a deal to pass over. Order five frames to try on. Shipping back and forth is free. $95 (optical) to $150 (polarized sun) with Rx lenses. Can use flexible spending accounts.
Beats the $600+ you could end up paying at boutique joints for something very similar.

TheModernLife

New in Town
For prescription eyewear I'm in the process of trying this business out:
http://www.warbyparker.com/men/optical

Vintage inspired frames for the Williamsburg, Brooklyn kinda crowd but too good of a deal to pass over. Order five frames to try on. Shipping back and forth is free. $95 (optical) to $150 (polarized sun) with Rx lenses. Can use flexible spending accounts.
Beats the $600+ you could end up paying at boutique joints for something very similar.

I've looked into Warby Parkers and they're really cheaply made. You get what you pay for. They look great for the price but I wouldn't expect them to last very long.

I also see you're in Philadelphia. The Art In The Age store on 3rd St just above Arch carries the whole line so you can try them on and order them there and don't have to worry about shipping them at all!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I just recently viewed some really nice listings on eBay for a variety of different eye wear tastes in the classification of sunglasses. Ray Bans, even some Porsche vintage glasses that were very nice and not over priced at all. I think if a person knows what a decent value and price for vintage eyeglasses should be, and wants to wear them and later maybe selling them, vintage sunglasses are a worth while investment.

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Sunglasses ID

Greetings all!

I'm looking for help ID'ing these two sunglasses.

The first is the one worn by Edward Norton in Fight Club. It looks like a Wayfarer although I'm not sure exactly which model it could be (or even if it is Ray-Ban). Could it be Oliver Peoples Hollis? Oliver Peoples supplied all the glasses worn by Brad Pitt in the movie and it's likely they supplied Ed's as well.

The second one is the one worn by Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects. I was about to say it is Ray-Ban RB3447-19 till I noticed the frame on the second shot. Randolph's Engineering P3? Although they don't seem to be making this particular color lens and frame combination. I'm stumped!

Both are brilliant movies by the way, if you have not watched them yet.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Not sure what the answer would be, however, this past week on eBay, there has been a fairly decent amount of sunglasses listed, if no can identify these glasses for you, perhaps a bit of time looking at sunglasses on eBay may help answer your question, you may find exactly the same pairs up for sale?!?

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I've tried that for days before posting. Guess I'm not sure exactly what keywords to key in! All I could get from people were that the ones worn by Kevin Spacey are vintage glasses (possibly ray-ban) and that this forum would be the best place to get help! Guess this is the end of the road here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo