Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Classic...although not vintage....tortoise shell Wayfarers I got for a dollar and a half at a Goodwill...

wayfarer.jpg
[/IMG]

Vintage B&L 12kt gold-filled frames I found at a yard sale for fifty cents. I had an optical shop put in tinted glass for $50.

gold-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Vintage Spanish-made frames I found used somewhere....had the optical shop put in the dark glass for $50. Perhaps mid-60s/Michael Caine/Ipcress File....

tortoise.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Chapaman

New in Town
Hello everyone,
I'm having a difficult time trying to know something about these:
341-2011411105556_original.jpg

These glasses are from The Invisible Man (1933 movie). I simply don't know the model name or anything about them! Could anyone help me?

Best Regards,
Arthur Chapaman

Hello everyone, I'm having a difficult time trying to know something about these:

These glasses are from The Invisible Man (1933 movie). I simply don't know the model name or anything about them! Could anyone help me?
Best Regards, Arthur Chapaman

they appear to be an early form of what is called Glacier Glasses used to block the sun's glare reflected off of snow, used to prevent snowblindness. They still make Glacier Glasses but thery are a bit different these days.

Chapaman

New in Town
John in Covina,

Thanks for your help! Glacier Glasses are a very good possibility. I did some small searching and I've found some glacier goggles that are also used during some scenes! I hope to find someone who sells them soon.

Best Regards,
Arthur Chapaman.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hello everyone,
I'm having a difficult time trying to know something about these:

Best Regards,
Arthur Chapaman

Vincent Price wore a similar pair in a film called Lygeia?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
More recently Johnny Depp wore a pair just like those in Dark Shadows.
DSTF-0107rv2.jpg

I think what they actually are, are a form of welding glasses. I've seen similar specimens on ebay that have the more rounded lenses like Claude's.
They go for a pretty penny too.

Cheers!

Dan

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is Elijah Woods at 'The Hobbit' premiere wearing a great pair of vintage specs. I own a pair of the frames but never got around to putting lenses in them. Since I got my Lasik ten years ago, I now own a drawer full of sunglasses - just what I need, another pair!

ElijahWoodglasses.jpg

-dixon cannon

earl

A-List Customer
Just got a pair of vintage-don't know how "vintage"- sunglasses from Giant Vintage sunglasses online. Never heard of the brand, but they were tortoise shell clubmasters. Wanted a pair of clubmasters but couldn't afford the $145 new from RayBan. These did quite fine for $7. Never dealt with the business before, but quite happy with it. They claim to sell primarily NOS, unworn vintage and mine were that. Earl

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
I normally hang out in the hat forum but now I have a sunglasses question, and please excuse me if this has been answered before. I want a pair of prescription green sunglasses lens in a pair of vintage AO frames, but I want the old green color one sees in 50's, 60's lenses, almost emerald green.. I'm sure you know the color....where can I send them, or who can I go, to get this done?...thanks....

Last edited:

Big Man

My early to mid 1960's sunglasses. No markings, so I don't have a clue as to the maker. They've been in the family since new, and in the glove box of my car for the past 30 some years.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I normally hang out in the hat forum but now I have a sunglasses question, and please excuse me if this has been answered before. I want a pair of prescription green sunglasses lens in a pair of vintage AO frames, but I want the old green color one sees in 50's, 60's lenses, almost emerald green.. I'm sure you know the color....where can I send them, or who can I go, to get this done?...thanks....

Maybe American Optical

Ying Ko

New in Town
The Spoiler,

You're thinking of that old bottle green color. Most optical labs can do this, provided you have a color sample for them to match to the lens color. Where do you get such a sample? There are a few ways. One way is to ask your optician if he has samples for you to pick and choose. Another way is to bring in an empty bottle of Heineken and tell them to match that. A third way, and the one I've found to be the most reliable, is to bring it a paint chip from a home improvement store. If you go with this third option, pick up a stack of paint chips in case the optical lab loses the one you provide with your glasses.

Also, if you're not happy with the color, you can send it back to the optical lab to get it re-done.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Spoiler,

You're thinking of that old bottle green color. Most optical labs can do this, provided you have a color sample for them to match to the lens color. Where do you get such a sample? There are a few ways. One way is to ask your optician if he has samples for you to pick and choose. Another way is to bring in an empty bottle of Heineken and tell them to match that. A third way, and the one I've found to be the most reliable, is to bring it a paint chip from a home improvement store. If you go with this third option, pick up a stack of paint chips in case the optical lab loses the one you provide with your glasses.

Also, if you're not happy with the color, you can send it back to the optical lab to get it re-done.
Be carefull what shade of green you get. I bought some green lens for my Halcyon RAF goggles, looked really cool. I raced of on my motorcycle, about a half mile from my house I hit a traffic light, then I realized, I could not see red. I looked around, and no red. I went back home and looked at the red trim on my house and my neighbours red car, all looked black and almost completely color blind! My green tint Ray Ban Clubmasters do not have that problem, so must be the shade.

Big Man

I found a photo of my Dad wearing the same sunglasses I had in the last picture I posted. The picture of my Dad was dated 1969, so I know those glasse4s are at least that old. Here's a "side-by-side" photo of the sunglasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk