Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

The Wingnut

One Too Many
If you're looking for the proper name of the round-lensed, steel-framed sunglasses that were prevalent in the '20s and '30s, it's 'Windsor'.

I have a pair in poor condition that I bought for $5, they need a complete overhaul and new lenses since the lenses in them are prescription, evidently. They look pretty slick, though.

tan_suit.jpg

ideaguy

One Too Many
nice score, 5 bucks. they look very much like my everyday specs., but mine
are gold, and A/O c. 1915, as far as records show.-you can grab some very
cool glasses on that auction, just have to measure really carefully, and have seller show photo of temple-piece where size is imprinted.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've already posted pics of these on another thread, but Here are mine.

Usually I just wear my actual glasses, because they have the lenses that get dark when I go in the sun. My normal glasses are tortoise shell raybans.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Uh.. I saw a pair of sunglasses in "The Cotton club" movie wich i instantly fell in love with. What would a pair like these be called? Horn rimmed?

Maby you could buy a couple of vintage glasses and get someone to change the glasses to darker ones?

glasses.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i think horn is less 'spotty' so i'd guess those are tortoiseshell.
but you could definately change a pair of prescriptions to shades !

i had a vintage pair re-lensed as the original lenses were scratched.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, sunglasses! I have a number of pairs from the 30's to the 40's. I have a pair of really swell Wilson Goggles from the 30's, heavy metal frames with green lenses. They were most likely used by a Highway Patrol officer in the30's. I love these a lot! I also have two pairs of dime store sunglasses from the 40's, one pair is ivory celluloid and the other is red/clear. I also have a pair of thin 12k gold wire frameless, the kind of style big band leaders wore, they have dark green lenses.

I'll post some photos of them all together but, here's a photo that has the ivory pair in it... I posted this under "Vintage Ties" but, look at these glasses, they were very popular in the late 30's and early 40's.

greentieln7.jpg

More to come!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hammelby said:
Uh.. I saw a pair of sunglasses in "The Cotton club" movie wich i instantly fell in love with. What would a pair like these be called? Horn rimmed?

Maby you could buy a couple of vintage glasses and get someone to change the glasses to darker ones?

glasses.jpg

Those are tortoiseshell from about the late 1920's or early 1930's. As for changing out the lenses on those kind... no dice! Even if they're non tinted prescription, most eye glass places will turn down the job because they're so fragile, they can brake and also, they weren't designed in a way to have the lenses changed like the wire styled ones. Believe me, I've tried!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
that round style is great 'Root but ones i've found are always too small for my big head !

Thanks buddy, I'm glad you like them oh and yeah... Yeah, tell me about it! These are a little small for me too but, I wear them any way! I figured that they only came in two sizes... kids and adult and these came off of the original card from a store display that Lauren Henline was selling... they're adult sized. So, I figured that a guy like me would have to wear them small if I wanted to buy a cheap pair of shades back in the day.

=WR=

The Wingnut

One Too Many
That's my problem as well. I search for literally years to find sunglasses both modern and vintage that don't make me look like a giant bug. Anything bigger than 52mm looks ridiculous on me.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Actualy, I called you Boris!lol But, who's really paying attention.;)

Well Wingnut, I'll have to keep my eyes out for some shades for you... I'll find some when I'm not looking... they'll be your size I'm almost sure!

Keep'em Flying!

=WR=

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Those are tortoiseshell from about the late 1920's or early 1930's...
glasses.jpg

Thank you guys for the tips...

Youll never guessed what happened to me today!
Sometimes, luck just strikes you:
I went on a antique fleamarket, and look what i found!!!

The guy said they were old, but he had no clue of when they were made
so i got them for around 3 dollars :D Insane bargain.
The frame is really fragile and a bit hard to take of, so im very carefull when taking them off. Any tips on removing them from the head?

glass.jpg

Notice the striking resemblance?

brille.jpg

Green glass.

detalje.jpg

The nails looks like brass or something

brille2.jpg

But as you can see, the right "earbar" (dont know the english word :))
is broken. But i can wear them fine, unless someone peaks behind my ear.
The ear bar has that funny shape, im thinking of getting someone to add something on it, either metal or some black material. What do you think?

style.jpg

Im not sure if they are genuine 30-40 vintage. Here on the inside of the "nosebridge", there is some faded white inspriptions: "WILLSON" "STYLE-K7"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff