Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Ken

A-List Customer
Custom (sun)glasses

Anyone know where to get custom glasses and/or sunglasses made? Having a small head (hat size 6 5/8) I always struggles to get frames to fit me and the 'off the rack' sizes rarely work for me, especially if I want to go for a specific style, eg - aviator frames.

Ken

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"New" sunglasses

I picked these up in an antique shop the other day.
The clip ons work perfectly with my day to day glasses.
IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found these two pair of vintage eyeglasses (12k gold-filled frames...they had prescription clear glass lenses in them) at yard sales for a couple of bucks each. I went to a nearby small eyeglass shop and had darkened lenses put in at approx $60 each.

sunglasses-1.jpg
[/IMG]

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman, noticed those when you posted the hat.
Excellent find!

It can be harder than it seems to get the right vintage
frames for one's face. The tiniest difference in width,
height, or whathaveyou will change the whole look. I go
to Allyn Scura for my glasses now. Even presented with
their extensive selection of vintage NOS frames it takes
quite a while to find the right thing. Makes your find even better
since it fits your face perfectly.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found a great pair of frames at an antique store for 10 bucks. They were the perfectly round tortoise frames, with gold cable teples and a gold windsor nosepiece. I passed them over thinking "I'll never be able to get lenses made for those". If I ever go back and they're still there, I'm getting them.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Cool Shades

Very stylish :)

I'm about an hour from you, Dinerman. Excellent theatre you have in Olney! Haven't tried any diners near there though -- just the pub house across the road and a Mexican place in a strip mall near by.

But I was raised at least in part on "Bel Loc" (in Baltimore) and West Virginia diner food. LOL

Jerekson

One Too Many
Looking for some Leo DiCaprio vintage sunglasses

Okay, I just watched The Aviator again last week or so, and I've decided that I really like the sunglasses that DiCaprio wore for the first half of the film.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a similar pair? Do they have a certain style name I can look for? Thanks in advance.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is amazing what you can find by constantly searching eBay. You can enter in a favorite search under 'Vintage Sunglasses' or 'Vintage Eyeglasses' and it will alert you by email when something new comes into auction. All you can really do is look the stuff over to see if something meets your requirements. I assure you something will drift into your field of view that will absolutely fill the bill. I've got several good looking pairs that I've snatched off the old auction block.

Good hunting!

-dixon cannon

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Aren't they called "Aviators"?

Nope. 'Aviator' sunglasses are patterned after an American Optical contract for pilots intermediate 'goggles' from WWII. Bausch & Lomb(later branded Ray-Ban) also had a contract, but I've never seen a pair.

Google 'Windsor' or 'Willson' sunglasses. This is about as close as you'll come. Thomas A. Willson & Co/Willson Goggles / Willson Products, Inc. was a civilian and military contract protective eyewear company which made a wide range of goggles and glasses from 1871 to 1956.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Mr. Rover said:
The glasses made for the movie were available from Armani when the film was released. I tried on a pair, but alas, it didn't complement my face as well as DiCaprio's.

Thanks. That should be really helpful in my quest. I'l lgo look it up right now, as a matter of fact.

That's partially the reason I wanted the glasses in the first place; I look alot like DiCaprio (face-wise) so I figured I would look good in a similar pair.

Maybe I'm just crazy though. :p It seems that I've "ruined" alot of different styles of glasses :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn