Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Jerekson

One Too Many
Those are fantastic.

The orange lenses aren't really to my liking - but they are really cool.

Nice! :eusa_clap

Or, there's the classic Ray-Ban Aviator (either 3025 or 3026 are the current version, not sure which), which actually WAS the General's eye-protection of choice. (And will be mine, if I can ever find a way to get the combination of correct tint and prescription lenses: I gotta wear either fisheye lenses or Coke-bottles, I'm that nearsighted.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman: Not to change the subject, but is that the B&O museum behind you there? I've been there and it is definitely way cool. (That phrase is still in vogue, isn't it???)
Again, I really have to figure out how to post images, but I have some old shades which I had thought nothing of till you started this thread. They're almost certainly WWII vintage.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Jerekson said:
The orange lenses aren't really to my liking - but they are really cool.
Yeah, I'd love a pair of these with some dark green lenses.

That's not the B&O museum, it's the PA railroad museum outside Lancaster.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Made in the early 1980's but the frame has been manufactured since Back Then. These are prescrips that I had tinted - they used to be green but the color has changed.

Pan_on_2.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Wow! Those would work perfectly for the DiCaprio glasses I've been looking for!

Excellent! (And I like the hat, too)

Jerekson

One Too Many
Vintage Sunglasses #2

Okay you guys...

I'm positively sick of enduring all these accursed eBay auctions.

I need your guys' help. Can someone please tell me where to buy some classic, good-looking, vintage-style repro glasses? (that's a mouthful, huh?)

The green lenses ar a MUST.

Something like this:
772f_1.jpg

Or this:
aef0_1.jpg

Preferably under $100, but that isn't my main priority.

Okay, thanks in advance, you guys...

Let me go squeeze my stress-ball.

-Jerekson

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found another pair of sunglasses in an antique shop in upstate New York for $5. They're quite heavy and seem sturdy, unlike my other similar pair.
They're American Opticals. The lens etching reads AOD. Anybody know what the "D" stands for?
IMG_3099-1.jpg

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
Okay you guys...

I'm positively sick of enduring all these accursed eBay auctions.

I need your guys' help. Can someone please tell me where to buy some classic, good-looking, vintage-style repro glasses? (that's a mouthful, huh?)

The green lenses ar a MUST.

Something like this:
772f_1.jpg

Or this:
aef0_1.jpg

Preferably under $100, but that isn't my main priority.

Okay, thanks in advance, you guys...

Let me go squeeze my stress-ball.

-Jerekson
buying glasses on eBay is where madness lies. i found a pair of vintage wire frames (practically my presciption) in a magic resale shoppe (where WWII uniforms tend to pop up from time to time) and after 2 years of wear, and a few months after re-lensing them to my current presciption, i broke them. been hunting a replacement pair of frames for months on eBay and it has been maddening!!!

moral to the story: if you find a pair of frames, you can get lenses put in. check with your optometrist to see how much that'll cost you. i'm sure that green lenses are a possibility

Sunny

One Too Many
Those are fantastic! I wonder how I missed them - I've been searching daily for weeks.

I'll ante up with mine. lol

bluegl.jpg

They just arrived last night. The frames are a tiny bit distorted, which I might be able to live with. The arms are a little bent as well, but thanks to the wire inside them I was able to make small adjustments with my fingers last night. They'll do!

I'll probably drive our carpool home and it's a brilliant, headachingly bright day, so they'll be put to the test. I especially like the blue tint, although green would've been just fine, too. I can only stand sunglasses for driving, and I've rejected more than one cute modern pair because the tent was too yellow or orange or brown. Yuck!

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks! I didn't end up driving, but I wore them anyway. The blue tint changes the real color so little I was afraid they weren't effective - but no, they worked great. And I got to see an even bluer sky than usual.

The shape is a little atypical, I agree. As is the blue tint. I really have no idea exactly what time they date to; if I had to, I'd guess 1940s, but that's just a gut feeling from seeing auctions and trying to trace a progression in lense shape. They definitely look quite feminine when on, without any too-cutesy or cat-eye stuff.

I watched the auction (along with a lot of others) and it actually ended without any bids. That might have been because the seller said the lenses were plastic. After it ended, and the others I was watching went for more than I wanted to pay, I finally asked the seller for measurements and to check if they were actually glass, because the style seemed so clearly pre-plastic. Sure enough, they were glass, and the seller re-listed with a BIN. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn