Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Aviator

Familiar Face
Aren't those the coolest sunglasses you've ever seen? The Woody (Herman) and Benny (Goodman) glasses are spot on early 40's!
The Benny...
Black_Eyewear_Benny_AHS_Amber_Havana.jpg

The Woody...
Black_Eyewear_Woody_LTS_Light_Tortoiseshell.jpg
I know I'm covering much earlier posts, but that's how I roll...That shape was originally designed by British frame maker AngloAmerican, and they call it the "Liberty" (they also call it the A406). It is also generically called the P3 or Pantheon (as it is called by Lafont Paris, who re-issued the pair below, from their archives).

lff_R_1495357e.jpg

Ben Silver carries many variations of them (or you can find what you like on their site and then do some Google searching).

Earlier posts covered issues with polarization; I love polarized shades for driving/everyday wear, but cannot wear them while flying. Polarization makes it impossible to read many LCD displays (LCD displays use two polarizing filters in their display), and I get an awful rainbow effect looking through the cockpit windows. I had to spring for a pair of non-polarized shades that I keep in my aircraft bag, just for flying).

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
I can recall reading a few crash investigation reports where the cause was down to the pilot not being able to read instruments with polarized lenses. Not just LCD displays.

ssfilez

New in Town
Vintage style is starting to become trendy once again, don't you think? There are those, however, that do not really have much appeal to me. However, I really did like those two sunglasses that Blackjack shared in this thread. They are totally lovely and I think I'll go find a similar pair through the net, now.

Jay

Practically Family
I've finally found a pair of sunglasses that look good on me. Not too round, not too big, and I've yet to see the same pair on anyone else

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Allyn Scura Legend
031.05.sun.front_000.JPG

031.05.sun.side_000.JPG

kools

Practically Family
The Legend sunglasses have been on my wishlist for about 3 years; I was just looking at them again the other day.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
I got my Moscot Lemtosh frames back from the Wal-Mart eye centre, they switched 'em out with black polarized lenses as opposed to the clear ones that came with them when I ordered them from Moscot, I've never seen anybody with the same sunglasses as me and I get alot of compliments on them as well. Really loving them, simply amazing shades, they almost look like Andy Warhol glasses haha, those wonderful black ones everybody seemed to wear back in the 60s. :) Love them.

Of course, a pair of vintage Ray Ban Wayfarers can't be beat, they have such a different fit from the new ones.

So many glasses...so many!

kools

Practically Family
Ben Silver carries many variations of them (or you can find what you like on their site and then do some Google searching).

Are there any tips where to find Ben Silver sunglasses other than at Ben Silver? I have found a pair I like quite a bit; I'm wondering if they can by found anywhere cheaper than $225. Google searching brought me no luck.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
where to find Ben Silver sunglasses other than at Ben Silver?
Nowhere. Mind you, they don't actually make their own line so you may be able to find the same model from the manufactures/brands who supply them. That said, you probably won't realize a significant savings.

Talbot

One Too Many
Where could I get some lenses - at the right price - for a NOS 90s pair of Rayban frames (US made B&L)?

Cookie, I think replacement lens blanks are usually circular and cut to shape. I had replacement lenses put in my daughters frames here in Melb CBD recently $90.

Aviator

Familiar Face
Depends on which pair...I found some square AngloAmericans that I liked, then did a Google search and found 'em for MUCH cheaper. The glasses that are made for Ben Silver can only be found there, but they carry a few different lines of glasses/sunglasses.

Which pair are you referring to?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Depends on which pair...I found some square AngloAmericans that I liked, then did a Google search and found 'em for MUCH cheaper.
MUCH=?$?........But yeah it depends; you won't do much better on their offerings from François Pinton and Lafont for example.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cookie, I think replacement lens blanks are usually circular and cut to shape. I had replacement lenses put in my daughters frames here in Melb CBD recently $90.

Thanks there is some place I found that will do them for AUD35 and then AUD25 for postage pick up. I have not sent them yet.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I got my Moscot Lemtosh frames back from the Wal-Mart eye centre, they switched 'em out with black polarized lenses as opposed to the clear ones that came with them when I ordered them from Moscot, I've never seen anybody with the same sunglasses as me and I get alot of compliments on them as well.

So many glasses...so many!

Not being funny, but Moscots seem overpriced just because of the name. I can't really see the difference between any of their frames and ones that Shuron and a handful of others produce. I wouldn't have let Wal-Mart touch them for the price you paid, but as long as they did a good job, I guess it doesn't matter!

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Those spectacles are really 'different.' I like the way you can flick them up or down and there's nice detailing on the stems. A strong look with the lid too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner