Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

When was the last time you were at a potluck, and all the food was home-made?
Seems like people are more likely today to "stop and pick something up on the way" instead of cooking something themselves.

Mrs. Hawk and I are in a local dinner club, where we do this every month. Every dish is home-made, and the idea is to step out of our comfort zone and try new dishes, both making them and eating them. It's quite a lot of fun, espeically after cocktails and a few bottles of wine.

Seems like people are more likely today to "stop and pick something up on the way" instead of cooking something themselves.

Think 1960's TV commercial - announcers voice: "Today in our hurry up, a go-go world , who has time to cook?"

Although it has been a while since i went to a potluck, the last time at church , about 2/3rds was home made. The elderly women just love making those dishes they are famous for and bring to church.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Church suppers are the last bastion of that kind of cooking. We still have people who actually go to the trouble of baking beans the traditional way for these events -- a process that takes over a day to complete-- instead of opening a few institutional cans of B&M's and figuring nobody will know the difference. People *do* know the difference.

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
That's one of the things I miss about Minnesota - groaning boards full of "hot dish" that were a matter of clan pride. Here in the hippie academic part of the Northeast, potlucks are popular but there is a lot of take-out, and so many people are vegetarians that you can't really bring a lot of ordinary humble meat dishes. Plus now so many people what to know about every single ingredient that I just don't feel like bothering any more. Maybe next time I'll bring something full of GLUTEN and MEAT so I have it all to myself.

And the next time I'm in line behind someone who wants to know every single ingredient in a brownie at the grocery check-out register I'm going to scream. Loudly.

PS - Lizzie, my grandmother used to make New England baked beans the old way, along with Boston brown bread in a coffee can. I have a real bean pot around somewhere, but alas I never use it. Making the volume of beans needed for a church supper must be quite a production.

Last edited:
Here in the hippie academic part of the Northeast, so many people are vegetarians that you can't really bring a lot of ordinary humble meat dishes. Plus now so many people what to know about every single ingredient that I just don't feel like bothering any more. Maybe next time I'll bring something full of GLUTEN and MEAT so I have it all to myself.

And the next time I'm in line behind someone who wants to know every single ingredient in a brownie at the grocery check-out register I'm going to scream. Loudly.

Just remember that most vegans that were meat eaters before still crave BACON! So bacon laden dishes are the best to bring for maximum torture effect.

3fingers

One Too Many
This is true. My son (12) has "potluck" dinners with two different organizations he is involved in. My experience from childhood on was that potluck was just that- you took a pot (or dish or pan) of something you had made. Didn't have to be fancy, just something people would enjoy. This seems to be a foreign concept to a lot of folks these days.
I understand that you might see a bucket of fried chicken or something, but these people show up with a sack of hamburgers from McDonalds or tacos from Taco Bell. Oreos and Chips Ahoy are popular on the desert table too. It has also been difficult for the leaders of the groups to get the idea across that they need to bring more than enough to feed themselves. I am not a master chef by any means, but I enjoy cooking, especially for others, and always make something myself. I'll tell you what- it's like dropping a hockey puck on the table. They absolutely inhale it. It was a shock for me that people, both kids and adults have so little experience with even simple home made food. This place isn't that far in miles from where I grew up and lived as an adult for many years, but culture-wise it's like a different planet.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Great point!
Most parties at work are "stop by and pick up something" as you stated.
So I just don't participate.
Gone are the days (just 12yrs ago) when the office parties involved smoked pork shoulder, baked beans, fried chicken, etc.
All of it homemade. It's a way of bragging on how good you are at cooking that particular dish, especially dessert. :D

I can't remember if this was mentioned, but carburetors. I can't think of any US-built vehicles coming equipped with one after 1990. GM's full-size wagons still came with quadrajets and the 307 Olds, regardless of which brand you bought. The rest of the full-size models had since gone to fuel-injection, of the throttle body variety.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Great point Tom.
At least with a carb, you can pour things like Seafoam down it, and see if the car runs better.
If not, then you can claim "well I poured (name your product) down it, and that didn't work."
BTW the Seafoam worked, but not until I got a new battery so the distributer delivered the proper spark. :eusa_doh:
Runs great now.

Gumout always works, too lol

Great point Tom.
At least with a carb, you can pour things like Seafoam down it, and see if the car runs better.
If not, then you can claim "well I poured (name your product) down it, and that didn't work."
BTW the Seafoam worked, but not until I got a new battery so the distributer delivered the proper spark. :eusa_doh:
Runs great now.

Great point Tom.
Runs great now.
I just put Seafoam in my gas tank instead. :p I just had the carb rebuilt. I didn't want to screw that up. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats