Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Non-pop-top cans. It's much more difficult to get all the contents out of a pop-top can than it is a regular can that you open with an opener. Probably not a big deal for some folks, but all I can see is food going to waste that I paid for, and as a cheapskate I find that deeply offensive.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Non-pop-top cans. It's much more difficult to get all the contents out of a pop-top can than it is a regular can that you open with an opener. Probably not a big deal for some folks, but all I can see is food going to waste that I paid for, and as a cheapskate I find that deeply offensive.

And don't forget the manual openers to go with them. We received and electric opener as a wedding gift 28 years ago. It died after about two years. We then bought a good manual opener, and have never gone back.

I think a manual is faster and makes a cleaner cut, especially the new ones that remove the entire top, speaking of getting things out easier!

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
A few more things I've thought of --

Pilot crackers. Big, thick rectangular crackers you crumble up into chowder. They were discontinued in the '90s and there was such an outcry that Nabsico was forced to bring them back, but now they're gone again and this time it looks like they're gone for good.

They're not gone I see them for sale up in Alaska every summer.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not sure how applicable this is...but I remember when thermometers were still topped up with mercury. We used to use them in school science classes.

Isn't that illegal today?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
And don't forget the manual openers to go with them. We received and electric opener as a wedding gift 28 years ago. It died after about two years. We then bought a good manual opener, and have never gone back.

I think a manual is faster and makes a cleaner cut, especially the new ones that remove the entire top, speaking of getting things out easier!

I have never seen an electric can opener in person. Were they a fad, or do I just know the wrong (or right, depending on your point of view) sorts of people?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
We had an electric can-opener at one point. I remember the can was held on by a magnet and you pressed a lever or something and that turned it on and rotated the can underneath the cutting-edge. It was...an interesting machine. Now that I come to think of it, I can't remember what happened to it!

We still have our old and trusty manual can-opener though.

That's probably a good thing, when you think about it.

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey now......

My Car.
1979Buick.jpg

My Kitchen.
apartment019.jpg

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
I love avocado. All my small appliances are that color, gotta have it in my kitchen. My Buick's fantastic in it too, even the dash, carpet, seats, panels, and everything. Ahh, it's like stepping back in time on that couch-sized front seat.

Wow you really do like avacado green lol

Im not that keen on it myself.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Love the avacado green, keep it going!! :D

Let's see, what disappeared: Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Mercury. Also: Jarts, smoking indoors (don't smoke but it's never really bothered me) non-digital clocks, probably a lot more. When I think of them I'll post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR