Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

TidiousTed

Practically Family
My father was born during World War 1.

I remember when he needed some new rope to use in the barn. So he got out his "rope twister" (I don't know the actual name). Basically, he threaded multiple strands of baling twine between a fixed end and the twister. Turning the crank on the twister would twist three separate groups of twine. Then, while I continued to turn the crank on the twister, he took the three separate groups and twisted them together into a rope.

I haven't seen one of those (either being used or just on display) since I was a kid.

If it is for making long ropes for maritime use its called a rope walk. The one for shorter ropes as you describes it's simply called a rope making machine (see picture)

220px-Metters_rope_serpentine_vtm.jpg

TidiousTed

Practically Family
My parents were born in 1922 and 1924 and met on Iceland when my father had to flee from Norway during WWII. I was born there and we moved to Norway when I was six.

dnjan

One Too Many
If it is for making long ropes for maritime use its called a rope walk. The one for shorter ropes as you describes it's simply called a rope making machine (see picture)

220px-Metters_rope_serpentine_vtm.jpg
Yes, that is about what his looked like. The same hemp ropes did standard duty on a farm. What he needed was around 40-50 feet.

Call Me Joe......

New in Town
Most of mine may have been posted already....but here goes....

Five and Dime Stores...True Soda Fountains....Home Milk Delivery....Good Sat. Morning Cartoons....Great Plane, Train travel.....Classic Lines on cars....( not the bars of soap today ) Men who where Men and Women who where Women....( excluding the good population of this Lounge of course ) Sports Heroes....( not over paid babies )

Marzena

One of the Regulars
1. Typewriters
2. Stationery with your monogramme which you could order at a printer's
3. Goloshes
4. Those Cans with a handle to carry milk in
5. Ink wells
6. Slide rulers!
7. Darning socks
8. Bridge nights
9. Single sex schools
10. Hand mirrors with a picture of Brigitte Bardot on the reverse side

TidiousTed

Practically Family
1. Typewriters
2. Stationery with your monogramme which you could order at a printer's
3. Goloshes
4. Those Cans with a handle to carry milk in
5. Ink wells
6. Slide rulers!
7. Darning socks
8. Bridge nights
9. Single sex schools
10. Hand mirrors with a picture of Brigitte Bardot on the reverse side

Goloshes has had a comeback around here actually.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hard to explain, but a detail in vintage dresses no longer seen: the string (with snap) that's inside the straps of the dress to loop over your bra. A nice touch and keeps the straps in place. Thank heavens for VINTAGE!
X
BD

Terry292

New in Town
Strike anywhere matches. Used to be able to get them in any store; now I have to order them in bulk on the 'net. A friend of mine once almost incinerated himself when he managed to set off an entire box in the pocket of his jacket.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
"A friend of mine once almost incinerated himself when he managed to set off an entire box in the pocket of his jacket. "

I can't imagine why they're not available anymore.....:D

Feraud

Bartender
Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?
Common sense, respect for others, and a desire to instill manners in children may disappear if this stupidity is allowed to fester..
Steve Cuckovich, a health teacher at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, California, has attempted to banish the friendly gesture, as he believes it is both disrespectful and disruptive. To punish students who do, indeed, say “God bless you” after one of their classmates sneezes, he purportedly knocks 25 points off of their grade.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/calif-teacher-punishes-students-for-saying-god-bless-you/

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Common sense, respect for others, and a desire to instill manners in children may disappear if this stupidity is allowed to fester..
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/calif-teacher-punishes-students-for-saying-god-bless-you/

The thing is, saying "Bless you" after somebody sneezes has not carried the same religious connotations for a very long time - It's become more of a figure of speech. I know many atheists and agnostics, even Muslims and Hindus who say it.

If I had a child in that classroom, I would ruin that teacher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo