Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Murph351 said:
How about the high beams dimmer switch on the floorboard of the car?

Or the auto highbeam dimmer pod mounted on the dash (or in the leading edge of the left front fender, as on the '66/67 Continental) of those older cars.

I have one of those pods directly in front of the steering wheel on my '67 Chrysler. When asked about it, I tell people it's a laser for disintigrating slow drivers. . . . Some people almost begin to believe me: You should see the look of deep thought they occasionally have on the faces after I've told them that. lol

Lee

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Considering that Sonic is expanding into my neighborhood...
Lee and Lela, try here: http://www.sonicdrivein.com/locator/viewSearch.do

That was going to be my next post, DB! lol

Here's what I found:
SONIC Drive-In Map
1632 LEMON STREET
ANAHEIM, CA 92801 US
(714) 992-4500

The nearest to me is 12.20 miles from my home.

The next closest is this one:
SONIC Drive-In Map
11780 AMARGOSA ROAD
VICTORVILLE, CA 92392- US
(760) 949-8827
45.05 miles

Third is more than 57 miles. All the rest are more than 80 miles away. :eek:

Lee

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Burma Shave Signs!!

I really do miss them, used to see them in the 40's and 50's, some in the early 60's. If you were driving down a long stretch of boring highway, they were a joy to read -- and so funny, all those little red signs in a row!

Can't believe I am just discovering this thread. What a nostalgia trip. I can't say I miss a lot of things mentioned, but do miss these:

Chinese laundries -- do they exist any more? I hate ironing and loved having my shirts done when I lived in NYC.

Dime stores -- sorry but Target and KMart are not the same. I loved all those old bins with notions and toys and stuff. Also, old toy stores with their bins and toys seen nowhere else. Toys R Us is Toys R Not Me.

I miss mercurchrome. Mother used to tell me that if it burned, it was healing. I am still kinky that way and so look for a "burn." These days, I pour hydrogen peroxide on my wounds. Boy, that stuff does burn.

Layaway is coming back, I just read a few days ago. Remember layaway? What with the economy crisis, some stores are using it again. Before credit cards, I either saved to buy it or, if I feared it would be gone by the time I had the $$, I put it on layaway and paid so much a month. Then, when I finished paying for it, it was mine.

Lizzie, I agree with you, I really miss vent windows in cars. Didn't need air conditioning with those.

I also miss real Army/Navy stores. They are still around, but not as much surplus and cheap prices.

Our paper is delivered by a guy in a car. Two paperboys in Des Moines disappeared some years back and that was the end of letting little 13-year old kids out at 4:30 a.m. Mother says one boy was never found and one showed up as an adult years later, having been abducted.

Can't say I miss Fuller Brush Men or Avon Ladies, though mother enjoyed inviting the latter into her home to buy perfurme and cosmetics.

We used to get milk deliveries and, when I was a wee child, the iceman delivered a block of ice to our door every other day. I remember all the off-color jokes about the milkman and the iceman.

This is a nice thread, thanks for the memories. I still miss the Friday Night Fights, saw Marciano knock out his idol, Joe Lewis. I read that Marciano cried afterwards.

karol

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Well, when I was a kid, Pluto was a planet ;)

There is a Sonic right around the corner from where I live, and about 4 others on my way to work and school. I'm addicted to Cherry-Vanilla Dr. Peppers and Cranberry-Vanilla Sprites.

Although, Cherry Limeades CANNOT be beat on a hot Texas afternoon.

There is one restaurant I know of in Anson, a little teeny tiny town outside of Abilene, where you can get an old-fashioned Cherry Lime. That's fabulousness right there!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
Maggie, I'll raise all those with a Frosty Pepper from the Dr. Pepper Museum, made with the all-but-gone original-formula soda--the version with cane-sugar instead of corn syrup.

Hasn't disappeared yet, but I expect it to in my lifetime...

Are we talkin' the one in Dublin or Waco, because fountain or bottle, Dublin is the ONLY way to go!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I remember when I was a kid, I actually liked the taste of 7-up and would buy it rather than a cola, also Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer, which was really good.

Once they took out the sugar and put in corn syrup, it was never the same.

karol

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
The museum's in Waco, but they told me they get the old-school stuff from the Dublin bottler. (I'm not exactly local--I may live in Seattle, but my roots are in San Antonio, and I just happened to pass through on my way from SA to Wichita several years back.)

The original bottler is in Dublin, and you can buy the Dr. Peppers throughout Texas. They're the ones made with sugar. I love the museum, though, for the experience.

Brinybay

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
Dick and Jane books are still in print. I bought a copy for my son a few years back.

But is there any school that still uses them as curriculum? That's what I was referring to.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner said:
Layaway is coming back, I just read a few days ago. Remember layaway? What with the economy crisis, some stores are using it again. Before credit cards, I either saved to buy it or, if I feared it would be gone by the time I had the $$, I put it on layaway and paid so much a month. Then, when I finished paying for it, it was mine.

Oh, I remember layaway! At least, I remember hearing announcements come over the PA system in stores: "Service is needed in Layaway," or something like that. I had to ask my mom what it meant - what on earth was a "layway"? lol

Our paper is delivered by a guy in a car. Two paperboys in Des Moines disappeared some years back and that was the end of letting little 13-year old kids out at 4:30 a.m. Mother says one boy was never found and one showed up as an adult years later, having been abducted.

Yeeouch. :( Yep, ours is delivered by car too. (And given the size of Sunday newspapers these days, can you blame them?) On an off-topic note, you know you've stayed up way too late if you haven't gone to bed yet and you hear the newspaper thud against the ground. :eek:

Minerva

Familiar Face
MrNewportCustom said:
According to a friend of mine, who drives for a living and loves fast food - especially Sonic (and anywhere that serves barbeque) - about the only one around Southern California anymore is somewhere in Orange County. He couldn't tell me exactly where, but he's hoping for one to appear nearer his home in Simi Valley.

We finally got a Sonic near us. Frankly we're disappointed that they close at 11pm. The only time we see it advertised (and thus, think of it) is between 11pm and 3am on cable. At this rate, we'll never get to go!

What happened to dives staying open all night? What are we supposed to do for food at 1:30 in the morning? (I really need to start serving larger pre-bed snacks, I think.)

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
Diamondback said:
Maggie, I'll raise all those with a Frosty Pepper from the Dr. Pepper Museum, made with the all-but-gone original-formula soda--the version with cane-sugar instead of corn syrup.

Hasn't disappeared yet, but I expect it to in my lifetime...

I wouldn't be so certain, since the US is one of few places that actually lets the companies use the high-fructose corn syrup. I was in Canada a few months back and was astonished how pretty much every soda tasted different because of using actual sugar.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
I really do miss them, used to see them in the 40's and 50's, some in the early 60's. If you were driving down a long stretch of boring highway, they were a joy to read -- and so funny, all those little red signs in a row!

We seem to have enought billboards around here tho to make up for it!!
Can't believe I am just discovering this thread. What a nostalgia trip. I can't say I miss a lot of things mentioned, but do miss these:

Chinese laundries -- do they exist any more? I hate ironing and loved having my shirts done when I lived in NYC.

Hmmmm I am not sure but living near Vancouver BC Canada, that has a very very large Asian population i'd say there must be a few still around..

Dime stores -- sorry but Target and KMart are not the same. I loved all those old bins with notions and toys and stuff. Also, old toy stores with their bins and toys seen nowhere else. Toys R Us is Toys R Not Me.

No dimes stores here but about 5000 Dollar (or loonie in Canada) stores..

I miss mercurchrome. Mother used to tell me that if it burned, it was healing. I am still kinky that way and so look for a "burn." These days, I pour hydrogen peroxide on my wounds. Boy, that stuff does burn.

Never had it in the first place, my Mother was a firm believer in using Oxynol

I think some stores still do it here.. Not sure but i think that the jewellry store that we use still does layaways.. I'll have to check!

Lizzie, I agree with you, I really miss vent windows in cars. Didn't need air conditioning with those.

I don't miss them at all but then i have a covertible..

I also miss real Army/Navy stores. They are still around, but not as much surplus and cheap prices.

Yep there are a couple of them near and in Vancouver BC.

We don't get a daily paper anymore but the small bi-weekly one is delived by a kid with a shopping cart.. We have also have paper "boys" there where elerdly men and women..

Can't say I miss Fuller Brush Men or Avon Ladies, though mother enjoyed inviting the latter into her home to buy perfurme and cosmetics.

I have 2 fantastic Avon Ladies.. Both are good friends of mine!! How else would i get Skin So Soft?

We used to get milk deliveries and, when I was a wee child, the iceman delivered a block of ice to our door every other day. I remember all the off-color jokes about the milkman and the iceman.

My mom worked for one summer at the ice house.. She said it was the best job in the world!! One dairy here still delivers and they still use glass bottles.

This is a nice thread, thanks for the memories. I still miss the Friday Night Fights, saw Marciano knock out his idol, Joe Lewis. I read that Marciano cried afterwards.

Never watched a fight in my life so i had no idea they were on Friday nights.. When i was a teenager most of my Friday evenings where wasted, i mean spent hanging about the local rec center either at public skating or smoking outside the front door...
karol

I still say that alot of missing things are regional too..

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
K.D. Lightner said:
Our paper is delivered by a guy in a car.

Not only is our main paper delivered by guys in cars, but they're unionized!

"Paperboy" was the first real job I had... hated it with a passion. Amazing how many stupid people would let their dogs roam free in the early morning...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner