Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage versus modern ´quality´

SteveFord

A-List Customer
You are correct, Homburg it is - I was kind of rushed and used the eBay description.
I guess I'll see how it holds up. I remember my last homburg from decades ago as being really substantial so was really surprised to see how flimsy this one feels.

You are correct, Homburg it is - I was kind of rushed and used the eBay description.
I guess I'll see how it holds up. I remember my last homburg from decades ago as being really substantial so was really surprised to see how flimsy this one feels.

You want a dress hat that feels “really substantial?” I want them to be light and thin. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You want a dress hat that feels “really substantial?” I want them to be light and thin. To each their own.

I guess it depends on the hat. For the most part, I agree with you, and prefer most of my hats to have thin, dense, felt. However, some models are, I believe, supposed to carry some weigh, such as velours. You have more experience with velours than I do, but those and longhairs are necessarily thicker, correct?

Plus, the thicker ones are warmer on my head in January in Ohio, and I don't want to wear a Ushanka!

I guess it depends on the hat. For the most part, I agree with you, and prefer most of my hats to have thin, dense, felt. However, some models are, I believe, supposed to carry some weigh, such as velours. You have more experience with velours than I do, but those and longhairs are necessarily thicker, correct?

Plus, the thicker ones are warmer on my head in January in Ohio, and I don't want to wear a Ushanka!

True enough. The longer the nap the thicker the felt. It’s also nice to have a more substantial hat when the weather is cold. I’m wearing a modern Stetsonian today, which is a hat that only comes out when it’s cooler due to its heft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy